Team Defense - Offence - A few suggestions

My players have a terminal disease called "concede syndrome." Any player in my defense dies if they don't make a mistake to give a goalscoring opportunity to opposition strikers. Stupidly leaving his position, stopping to mark strikers, giving away the ball cheaply etc.

I am talking about some decent defensive players naming Kompany (commanding centre back but I don't know what he commands really, maybe TV?) and Badstuber. They might not be world class but they are above average although they really suck in my team defense.

Anyway, sure "it is my tactics." :) I am here to blame anything and this is not a complaining topic.

Match preparation is a great idea in FM11 that I like. However, having only "team blend" as a cumulative training is needed to be discussed. (I am sorry if somebody else already mentioned this somewhere)

Why can't we build up team defense and team offense? We probably all know that total football is a new generation playing style but with the current tactics available in the game, it seems impossible to me to make all players to defend or attack as a team. You cannot play a "men behind ball" mentality. Even fluid or very fluid do not ensure team defense and offense with promised transitions of players.Team blending also doesn't make wonders for me. Especially with fluid style, even though I play classical 4 4 2 most of the time (or 4312), my assistant mostly tells me there is too much space between defense and midfield but I can't close down that area without a DMC. (I tried high defensive line, increasing closing down of my DCs, I also tried to drop the team back a little (defensive mentality MC or standard mentality for team) but it is there. It is just that you have to have a defensive midfielder. Players do not know how to defend zone/area in the game! (or man marking, because every time I want a player with good marking even with a preferred move of "marks opponent tightly" to mark a specific man, I just can't see them together in any area lol)

Despite last years' improvements, I believe tactics are not complex enough to give specific instructions to players. (i.e. Marking an important opponent player the whole game regardless of their position) Team marking man or zonal seems the same to me in the game, nothing ever changes. "Press more" option does not make them to press more most of the time. Overload definitely sucks. I even used overload to consume time in many occasions lol. I played overload many times to grab a win or draw but I don't even give a counter attack away. Time flows like nothing is going on. Think about last minutes of many real games when the stronger team needs a goal, there are like 15-20 players inside opposition penalty area while a player pumps the ball constantly (if Barcelona is not the example) but "pumping the ball" doesn't work either.

Anyway, what I suggest is at least adding a feature in Match Prep to work on team defense and team offense. For example there are many forward players in the real world that whatever their role is, they come back and fight and then lead the front line but it is currently not possible to implement in the game. (and yes, deep lying forward does not change anything while defending)

Of course this topic is to contributing and arising ideas that may be helpful in future Football managers. (or I wish in the next patch but that must be another story) Thanks. I want to remind that the mostly negative ingame examples I have given is to support my points. I am not an ungrateful guy about the game. I love it and it is the best with all negative parts. It can just always be better. ;)

Archived