Bank Balance vs. Transfer Budget

It all depends on your club (and chairman).

I try not to let my spending send the club in to a negative balance - the board will blame you for this.

Do you know this for a fact?

I been in the red a few times - last transfer window almost 20m (30m transfer budget) but I was quite sure I would earn the money during the season, and I did. Never heard a thing from the board who where very happy with my wage control.

Why should the board blame you for spending money they have allocated to you? You are the football manager not director.

If you spend it, you will have -107 mil in your bank account, which is bad news indeed. Unless you have a generous sugar daddy (eg. Man City).

Assuming you are managing a team with a 'regular' chairman - you will probbly p... off the board and get some points docked in the league.

Well Reffi, if you go £100m in the red, the club is going to struggle. You're right that they will comment only on the wage control, but they would expect big returns for spending £100m and if you don't deliver i think you are putting your job on the line.

You went £20m in the red, which is nothing for a club playing in the EPL.

I wouldnt go £100m in the red unless you want to go a good few years spending nothing following your spree.

Well Reffi, if you go £100m in the red, the club is going to struggle. You're right that they will comment only on the wage control, but they would expect big returns for spending £100m and if you don't deliver i think you are putting your job on the line.

You went £20m in the red, which is nothing for a club playing in the EPL.

I wouldnt go £100m in the red unless you want to go a good few years spending nothing following your spree.

I wouldn't either. My comment was entirely focused on your remark on 'board blame'. As far as I know the board only has one financial parameter to judge you by - wages.

I remember from previous FM games that expectations rose the more money you spent (guess Wenger wants to keep expectations low :-) ), but I haven't had this 'problem' in fm2011.

It depends on when in the season it is - if you are about to get a huge wedge of money at the start of the season, then your bank balance will rocket and you wont be negative. If your bank balance is only 2million AFTER your club has recieved TV money and season tickets then you have one HUGE hole in the club finances!

If you gave us some more info, like which club you are, what competitions you are in, how much you spent in previous seasons, then we might be able to give you a more reasoned answer.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to boost this from a long time ago, but was searching for a very similar topic on Google and came across this.

I am still playing FM10 with Aston Villa, where Randy Lerner is chairman. I have received all TV monies and my transfer budget for the season is sorted. He says I have £26m left to spend, but the bank balance is only £2m, which will obviously put me massively into debt. This happened before and Lerner pumped £20m in to clear club debts, but is there a chance he will do it again if I spend my budget? My wage budget in contrast is massively under control, paying around £375k p/w under the allocation. I am really hoping for a title push this season and could really do without the worry of going into administration. Is Lerner classed as a sugar daddy?

Sorry, a couple of further points to add. This summer my chairman has decided to increase stadium capacity by 5000 as last season we were selling out most weeks at 42,640. This obviously should start reaping rewards pretty much straight away. Also, despite being predicted to finish 8th, we sneaked into 4th place so now have Champions League football this season.

Not quite started the friendlies yet so hopefully season ticket sales will get me out of the red if I decide to spend my entire budget.

Archived