Always gutted when my replacement ruins my team

I just resigned my post as Sunderland manager after leading the club through the most successful period in their history (the Irish tycoon didn't hurt), deciding that I wanted to embark on a lower league challenge. My replacement's first signing is a 17 million pound right back, despite the fact that the entrenched starter also starts for reigning World Cup champions England, and that there are three youth players at right back with the potential to be leading Premier League players. Oh, did I mention that I sold this same right back 18 months ago for 5 million pounds, and I knew I was ripping off Southampton? In his first full season with Southampton, his average rating was a 6.38. And that prompts a huge money signing. Can't wait to watch the new guy sell off my promising youngsters for pennies.

*grumblegrumble*

I don't usually mind. By the time I've left I've usually built such a strong squad that they can't fail. On my Liverpool game, Guardiola has taken over from me, and if anything, it annoys me that he's winning things and taking the credit by using my team. I've checked who he plays, and it's entirely my team of players. The bugger's reaping the benefits of my success. Just wait till next season when I've got my Spurs team up to scratch, I'll take the guy down!

Last patch has stopped this in my opinion.

Left my Derby side after 10 great years, best team in the world.

As I left I couldn't wait to get a new job and start poaching my youngsters and best players - the AI never knows how you were building.

Low and behold, 2 years on and the best I've managed is 2 young uns on loan for my Roma side.

The AI has made 1 significant signing in 2 years and none of my 'future stars' have been discarded.

He seems to be carrying on exactly where I left off :-)

It seems a little better after the patch. I left Anhui for Henan in my career game and they haven't been relegated yet, nearly 4 years after I left the club!

Mind, the manager was my former ass man who I groomed at Anhui so it looks like he's doing fine. Not challenging my club for league titles and I always defeat my former club but at least they playing good football. :)

I've found over the last couple of years this happens a lot less. I have two examples from my FM2010 save.

I took Northampton Town from League Two to the Championship, where my successor kept them there.

Then after an unsuccessful stint at Sunderland, I did the same with Lincoln City. When I left there, not only did my successor maintain what I had done, he got them promoted to the Premier League, where they narrowly missed out on staying up.

Archived