Getting new jobs

This game is killing me. Starting my career as a former World Class Football Player, take over Shakhtar in Ukraine, win 13 trophies in 6 year (among reaching the quarter finals in Champions League twice, and the semi-finals once - by the way, great achievement for a team from the Eastern Europe) and then resign because it wasn't a challenge anymore. I have a World Class reputation. While I still had a four year deal with Shakhtar, I was touted by the press to take over A.C. Milan. Well now, as I applied to only three clubs with managers under pressure: Barcelona, Manchester City and Samdoria (a rather inferior team to A.C. Milan), all of them laugh of my interest.

How would that be even possible in the real life? How the heck would a former international player, like let's say Zidane, who takes over a small (but rich, that's true) club and makes wonders with them, be laughed off by any club in the world? And more, by Sampdoria? Really? (By the way, I even know Italian in the game, so yes, another good thing by my side). Is this game ever going to be like real life?

Can't believe it, it's just insane, how such an important part of the game is left behind.

I know, its ridiculous, I can't wait till they fix it. It ruined my journey man game. I started with semi pro exp, signed with volgar (1st division russian team, lower/mid table) and got them promoted in just one season and won manager of the year. Now I'm successfully avoiding relegation in the russian premier league, this just in the 2nd season with me as manager. Do I get any recognition, interest from teams, or manager rep change for this? Absolutely not. If I were to resign and look for a new job, or start applying for jobs, I would have exactly the same rep as when I started the game.

Manager rep and job applications in this game need a complete overhaul.

Would the current Shakthar boss, probably champions of Ukraine many times, and maybe a fine player in his time have a chance at the Barcelona, ManCity or even the Samp job? I don't think so. If you get rejected by the likes of Sunderland, Osasuna, CSKA Moscow, Vitesse Arnhem or Palermo you may have a point, but I'm not surprised you didnt get these jobs to be honest.

There is a problem in FM11 getting jobs thats for sure, but winning all in the Ukraine will not make you prime target for teams like Barcelona IMO. I would aim a little lower..

when i resigned from perth glory i had won them the league and finals series and had a continental reputation but no matter where i applied i'd get rejected or laughed off even new zealand rejected me for a made up manager its extremely annoying and unrealistic as i was getting interest and job offers halway through my season when i was managing perth but now nothing

Seems to be hit and miss.

I plaayed a quick career over Christmas, started as Liverpool on Automatic reputaion, won The League and UEFA Cup.

Resigned halfway through my second season.

Declared interest in Bordeaux job and applied. Laughed off and rejected.

Applied for the AC Milan job and got it.

Then resigned half way through my 2nd season with Milan after failing quite badly!

Inter Milan and Valencia both want me, Rennes and Villareal dont?

Would the current Shakthar boss, probably champions of Ukraine many times, and maybe a fine player in his time have a chance at the Barcelona, ManCity or even the Samp job? I don't think so. If you get rejected by the likes of Sunderland, Osasuna, CSKA Moscow, Vitesse Arnhem or Palermo you may have a point, but I'm not surprised you didnt get these jobs to be honest.

There is a problem in FM11 getting jobs thats for sure, but winning all in the Ukraine will not make you prime target for teams like Barcelona IMO. I would aim a little lower..

Well, I believe you don't have a point there. Yes, considering my other achievements that I've told you about (one UCL semi-final, two UCL quarters, topping the UCL group four times in six years after playing against teams like Inter, Valencia, Milan, Juventus - and besides that lots of records inside the Ukrainian Premier League), I would have a chance at least at Samp, if not at City or Barcelona. Then also Napoli laughed off my interest. I repet, think of a real life situation, where former international successful players are getting fine jobs when they are still rookies. There's an example above with Blanc getting the Bordeaux job. Yes, after achieving such things in real life, I would have a chance.

I'm guessing that Shakthar has been your only job

Therefore I'm wondering if it's been programmed (abeit poorly) to have the AI act like your success was a fluke and not believe that you can repeat it

If you're not opposed to using FMRTE, check your current and world reputation and see how much lower to home reputation it is

Really? What experience did Guardiola had when he took over the Barcelona job?

Don't try to justify the obvious bug.

Wasn't he only given the job because he was the poster boy of Barcelona's home grown talent?

Plus he was already managing the 2nd team, so he was already familiar with facilities and players

Wasn't he only given the job because he was the poster boy of Barcelona's home grown talent?

Plus he was already managing the 2nd team, so he was already familiar with facilities and players

Then, let's put it other way, Leonardo never managed a team, though he's been in Milan's staff for lots of years. He took over the team, was a huge disappointment, and then took over Inter. Two of the biggest teams in the world when he's still a rookie. Does that answer your question?

Don't try to justify the obvious bug.

I'm not. I acknowledge there's a bug when it comes to getting jobs don't I?

I just say that getting success in a competition like the Ukrainian, despite the QF's and SF's in the CL, isnt going to spur the best and richest clubs in the world to offer you jobs (and even the likes of Sampdoria) in real life. There are probably 20 or so top managers who would love those jobs, who are world class and have experience in top leagues. You are, as a successfull Shaktar-manager, just one of that 20. So I'm not surprised they didnt offer you the job. There are so many factors that determine that choice, like the Guardiola example, no experience, but a club-icon. Is Guus Hiddink or Alex Ferguson automaticaly first choice when AC Milan start looking for a new manager? They might be on their shortlist, but it's likely they would opt for an italian or someone who has a link with the club. If Rijkaard or Van Basten apply, I think Hiddink and Fergie have less of a chance, despite their world class status and huge expierience in comparison to Rijkaard and Van Basten. Even the fact that Van Basten has shown that he doesnt have the talent in management that he had on the pitch, I'd still fancy Milan to pick him if he wanted the job.

I'm not. I acknowledge there's a bug when it comes to getting jobs don't I?

I just say that getting success in a competition like the Ukrainian, despite the QF's and SF's in the CL, isnt going to spur the best and richest clubs in the world to offer you jobs (and even the likes of Sampdoria) in real life. There are probably 20 or so top managers who would love those jobs, who are world class and have experience in top leagues. You are, as a successfull Shaktar-manager, just one of that 20. So I'm not surprised they didnt offer you the job. There are so many factors that determine that choice, like the Guardiola example, no experience, but a club-icon. Is Guus Hiddink or Alex Ferguson automaticaly first choice when AC Milan start looking for a new manager? They might be on their shortlist, but it's likely they would opt for an italian or someone who has a link with the club. If Rijkaard or Van Basten apply, I think Hiddink and Fergie have less of a chance, despite their world class status and huge expierience in comparison to Rijkaard and Van Basten. Even the fact that Van Basten has shown that he doesnt have the talent in management that he had on the pitch, I'd still fancy Milan to pick him if he wanted the job.

You're right, I was quite frustrated those days, but still, I resigned from Hearts after only three games in charge and took over Flamengo, I have two wins in three games now, but my squad is kind of short and the money are the same. But I will do it, I can't wait to go back in Europe again.

Perhaps the real issue here is that the game has given you a reputation of "World Class", which gives you a false sense of your worth in the game world.

YES, EXACTLY. Ok, fine with me if they do not consider me that good, but don't tell me I am World Class when I am actually not.

Started my career at Luch (Russian 2nd division), managed them from the second half of the season and resigned after the season was over, avoiding relegation. Quite surprisingly I was able to get my next job straight away at Sheffield Wednesday (bottom half table) in League 1. While at Sheffield I also got linked to Bologna who is struggling in the Serie A. I started off with automatic reputation. Guess i'm lucky, i'm planning to take Sheffield to the Championship the next year and then I'll see what will happen!

It's (at least partly) due to the league reputation of the league you're currently in. In my game with Ajax the eredivisie is now ranked 5th with 4 star reputation. Now all of a sudden when I declare interest in relatively big clubs like AC Milan I'm the lead candidate. Before that they laughed at me even though I already was the top ranked manager in the world hall of fame. The likes of Chelsea and Arsenal still laugh at me though. I guess I need around 10 more CL wins before they'll consider me :)

Started my career at Luch (Russian 2nd division), managed them from the second half of the season and resigned after the season was over, avoiding relegation. Quite surprisingly I was able to get my next job straight away at Sheffield Wednesday (bottom half table) in League 1. While at Sheffield I also got linked to Bologna who is struggling in the Serie A. I started off with automatic reputation. Guess i'm lucky, i'm planning to take Sheffield to the Championship the next year and then I'll see what will happen!

This seems strange. I'm also on automatic, and only managed to get jobs at the lowest of the lowest league I loaded and cant seem to get out of there. The step from Russian 2nd to League 1 seems an unlikely big one, and the link with bologna aswell.

There are rumours the automatic doesnt work as it should, or as its thought it should, or rather as it did in FM10. I read on this forum somewhere that automatic gives you a random reputation, in stead of the lowest rep, as was done in FM10. A random rep means you can easily have a proffessional footballer rep, without you knowing about it. That would make the Wednesday job and bologna interest more likely..

So; is this a bug, or not? Throughout this whole thread I see nothing from any SEGA chap saying "Relax boys; it's in the next fix!"

As far as I am concerned, the lack of job offers to a successful managers is a real & present mal-function.

Is it being addressed: I don't know!

Not intending to sound like an ass (but I know it'll come across as such), but it's not "SEGA"s job to fix anything :p

I'm pretty certain SI have said they are looking into it, but they will very rarely confirm fixes for future patches incase it becomes unfixed later and they can't fix it in time for patch release

Im in a similar position to the OP. I created a Brazilian manager for this years game with past experience set to professional footballer and started at Santos. In my two years at Santos I won two brazillian league titles, one coper libertadores and the world club championship (I know the wcc does not count towards hall of fame points, but after beating A.C. Milan in the final my reputation rose from continental to world class).

During my time at Santos I applied for a couple of other jobs; Fiorentina and Villareal. I applied for these after winning one leauge title and being very close to the second and after winning the libertadores. I was rejected from both. Almost immediately after winning the libertadores I applied for the Brazil job and was rejected for some old Brazillian coach who had won a few things through his career. I accepted not getting any of these jobs as my rep was only continental.

Once I won the wcc and my rep rose to world class I was approached by Lokomotiv Moscow (note that they approached me, I did not apply for the job). I accepted and in my two years there so far I have won two league titles. I have applied for lots of jobs; Arsenal, Man Utd, Inter, Lazio, PSG, declared interest in Valencia job, and Brazil again. I was rejected by them all and my interest in the Valencia job laughed off (a manager with a world class rep laughed off by Valencia; a debt ridden mid table side by 2013. I can kind of understand not getting the Arsenal, Man Utd and Inter jobs, but Deco got the Man Utd job ahead of me, his first job in management. Shearer got the Arsenal after managing Stoke. Sylvain Wiltord got the Lazio job ahead of me, and the guy who replaced me at Santos got the Brazil job.

Without wishing to sound arrogant, my achievments are far greater than any of the managers that have been hired instead of me. Deco, Shearer and Wiltord have no previous connection to any of those clubs which counters the argument of lukemorgan88 (irl I can see how that happens, but in my game clearly it has not). And why would the most succesful contemporary Brazillian born manager be rejected by his country twice? That would be like the English FA telling Harry Redknapp, sorry Harry, were going to hire the man that replaced you at Portsmouth; Avram Grant.

This is a real game breaker for me as I want to win league titles in all the leagues I have loaded. Hopefully somebody from SI will recognise the frustrations that many of us are having and make it easier to move clubs with the final patch.

I had a problem recently when having started ex international, maxed out my rep bar (Shakhtar as it happened) and decided to move on, I ended up (by way of various other places that aren't important) failing to keep Southport in the BSP (just a year after a shock Romanian title win, what can I say, I have a lot of leagues and am not fussy) it took almost a year to get anything else, among all the european leagues down to Poland/Bulgaria/Czech/Serb/Croatia (that sort of thing) and the single-group lower leagues of the top 5, eventually ending up in the German 3rd Div, easily the longest time its ever taken which made me think that the cirumstances (in that case relegation from the BSP) may be important. Things were much quicker the following (and most recent) attempt without that as my most recent record.

I don't know enough about it to say if it's a bug or not but in real world there are so many variables that go into this decision. It's not just based on reputation, football experience and language. There might be this fluke aspect to it, the chairman doubting if someone can repeat his success. Also, he might prefer a manager who knows his league inside out and has managed there for 20 years albeit with inconsistent results. The chairman might have a personal relationship with someone else. He might have a preference as to the style of play or tactics: maybe you're an attacking coach and he prefers defending. Maybe he thinks his key players are suited to another manager's system. He might not like your media handling or man management, thinking your a loose cannon or uninspiring. Maybe he thinks you're successful but spend too much money to achieve success while he'd just prefer to earn a higher profit. Chairman might prefer a manager with strong focus on youth players rather than big-name signings, or the opposite.

Archived