Are Long Shots unavoidable?

Seriously...

I have set every single player in my tactic on "Rarely", we play a Fluid/Control-Attacking 4-3-1-2, often with "Retain Possession" and "Work Ball Into Box", yet we always have like half a dozen Long Shots per game, by players who have no specific PPM or instructions to do so, nor the skills to hit a rugby goal with a beach ball from 15 yards away...

So I ask, how is it possible the game/ME blatantly ignores my instructions and my players keep on trying impossible shots from distance?

Is it "my tactic" or is it yet another case of "sorry mate, the ME just has its own mind and will do this or that no matter which settings you choose", much like for strikers wandering wide, CBs not defending etc?

this happens in real life as well, no matter what you say to players there will always be times when they either run out of options or take the wrong option, thats football, nothing is perfect, watch any game and you will see long shots, even barca have a go from far out. The more creative freedom you give players the more they will try their own thing even if they are asked not too, again its just like real life

Seriously...

I have set every single player in my tactic on "Rarely", we play a Fluid/Control-Attacking 4-3-1-2, often with "Retain Possession" and "Work Ball Into Box", yet we always have like half a dozen Long Shots per game, by players who have no specific PPM or instructions to do so, nor the skills to hit a rugby goal with a beach ball from 15 yards away...

So I ask, how is it possible the game/ME blatantly ignores my instructions and my players keep on trying impossible shots from distance?

Is it "my tactic" or is it yet another case of "sorry mate, the ME just has its own mind and will do this or that no matter which settings you choose", much like for strikers wandering wide, CBs not defending etc?

Long shots are part of football, if you don't have any then you are ignoring a valid way to score leaving the opposition defence with an easier job - Setting to rarely is a very poor choice.

I've seen comments/snapshots of your tactics in other threads and I suspect your players shoot from distance because they lack a passing option within the instructions you have given them.

Well.. from what i've seen from other threads some possibilities are:

-Too much creative freedom combined with high mentality

-Not having an available forward pass to make so they resort to try a long shot

-High tempo and direct style(this one seems excluded since you are playing on Control)

-Attacking players with low teamwork so they rather go for the shot instead of passing around for the best of the team

And of course it could also be some ME bug.

1) Players always shoot from distance. In real life the more they shoot from distance, the lower their actual ability seems to be. I cant count the number of times ive seen RB/LB storming up to near the edge of the area and absolutely thundering a shot that misses the goal so much its closer to the corner flag. Everyone in the stand is SCREAMING pass, but they seem to think they have to get lucky one day that today is the day that they will actually score (or even get it on target...)

2) Without seeing your tactics its hard to know, but if a player has a high creative freedom it basically means 'ignore everything ive told you to do...'

3) If a team is constantly hitting a wall of defenders, then the chances are they will shoot from distance as they will feel its their only chance of scoring. The more wide I play, especially with 'exploit the flanks' the less long shots I seem to have, unless they have come back from a cross, and then my useless defensive midfielder (song...) hammers some poor sod in row Q.

PS - I did mean row Q - hes so useless he cant even get it as high as row Z.

My main bother is long shots after the player has cleared the defence and remains faster, would prefer them to get closer to the goal or attempt to go around the keeper

Of course, IRL many players do want to be the hero of the moment and score the goal of the year... but I feel these type of opportunities appear far too often in FM, thus giving an appearance of too many long shots

Against a wall of defenders they can't break down, I'm happy for them to try a lucky shot and score than to try no shots at all

Well.. from what i've seen from other threads some possibilities are:

-Too much creative freedom combined with high mentality

-Not having an available forward pass to make so they resort to try a long shot

-High tempo and direct style(this one seems excluded since you are playing on Control)

-Attacking players with low teamwork so they rather go for the shot instead of passing around for the best of the team

And of course it could also be some ME bug.

Fluid/Control is a fairly high tempo...

But the main problem is linking play between your midfield and attack. How have you set these players up? I find unless you have one of your strikers dropping into the gap, your midfielders run out of options with alarming regularity.

its your tactics or it could be shoot from distance ppm, maybe squad gelling impact it somewhat? you should also take a look at what Coentrao mentioned

they even tuned down the amount of long shoots being fired in the most recent patch

here goes my most recent friendly's as im geting ready for session 3, as you can see I dont have your problem

barcaf1.png

barcaf2.png

barcaf3.png

barcaf4.png

Archived