Home Grown Rules

I'm am managing in the Premier league and have just finished the 2011/12 season.

I get a notice saying that in the champions league, out of my squad i have to have 4 players trained at the club and a further 8 trained in england.

However, i am selling 3 of these players overall-Now, does this mean my transfer policy is dictated by these rules? Meaning, i now have to introduce a crappy reserve player into the squad and then buy a further two England trained players(Extremley expensive!!)??

It's so damn confusing and also prejudice against the newer clubs in the competition who do not or have not had Class A training facilities for 10 years.

But this means that i have to put a rubbish club grown player in instead of a better senior player, surely? It's fine if you are man utd, chelsea or arsenal, but otherwise it's alot of work and figuring out to do.

And essentially forces a manager to buy youth youth and more youth over experience. I'm not complaining, just trying to work it out so i don't get screwed when champions league time comes around

i know they are the real rules, i'm just trying to get my head around what i can and cant do with my squad

I fail to see your problem?

They are the RL rules, you know they are the RL rules and yet you don't plan for them :confused:

But this means that i have to put a rubbish club grown player in instead of a better senior player, surely? It's fine if you are man utd, chelsea or arsenal, but otherwise it's alot of work and figuring out to do.

And essentially forces a manager to buy youth youth and more youth over experience. I'm not complaining, just trying to work it out so i don't get screwed when champions league time comes around

Those places are basically optional.

You register 17 players without those rules and then you can, but don't have to register, up to another 8 but they must be homegrown. (4 from the club and 4 nationally as you know)

I fail to see your problem?

They are the RL rules, you know they are the RL rules and yet you don't plan for them :confused:

Ugh, what are you on about? I am planning for them, infact, that is what i am doing right now, by virtue of this thread existing.

I didn't need to think about it at all during the first two seasons as the squad had all these quotas filled but now, with certain players having to go, it leaves one or two gaps. Thats all.

I still think though, that unless a club has great training facilities, it is prejudice, because the quality you are forced to put in the squad is not European standard.

This is kind of the point of the rule, it is there to encourage clubs to develop their own young players and bring them through, instead of just buying up all the best talent from other clubs.

The EPL has a similar squad rule, so it shouldn't really come as a surprise or be a problem. I think the rule is stupid, but it's used IRL so we have to deal with it. It's part of squad building now. I tend to use lots of good youngsters in the early seasons to get around the problem. After 3-4 years a lot of them will then count as home grown and the problem tends to go away.

Of course, if you only ever buy the absolute best players regardless of home-grown status you will have problems eventually.

Archived