Way I like to play it

I finally have figured out a way I like to play the game... I was trying to figure out a way to just let all the teams play themselves and just be a spectator.. that may seem boring to some but its the way I like to play it... I have no idea what im doing managing a team and i dont find it to be very fun so what i did was just set up a new league ENGLAND with alll 7 divisions.... then I took over a team and got fired on the first day on purpose LOL... so now I can sit back and relax and watch all the games unfold including tournaments .. I love it that way.. ill bet im the only one that plays it this way out there

I'm a natural tinkerer and I'm interested in how the complex factors in the game interact to influence the simulated world so for FM 2010 I was so busy making leagues in the editor and testing them out that I didn't start playing properly until March 2010.

Heh, I'm an old frat who had a childhood before computers. Hi-tec for me was Subbuteo. I spent my childhood making football games with pencil, paper and dice creating football worlds just like the OP. Whiled years ago doing that. Glad I'm old and FM now, though.

Me too. I used to keep paper records of three league divisions plus goalscorers. Used to play Subbuteo against myself to work out the results. :D

Then, when I got a Megadrive, I did the same thing with Sensible Soccer. :D

I was such a cool child. :cool:

Me too. I used to keep paper records of three league divisions plus goalscorers. Used to play Subbuteo against myself to work out the results. :D

Ah Sensible soccer. Now you're talking. Nothing has ever matched it for me. Guess it was because I was young and impressionable but I dread to think how many hours I spent on it making Patrice Loko humiliate all those that dared to challenge him.

It had the decency to not tell me how much time I was wasting either unlike Steam that very rudely keeps a tally for my wife to see.

Ah Sensible soccer. Now you're talking. Nothing has ever matched it for me. Guess it was because I was young and impressionable but I dread to think how many hours I spent on it making Patrice Loko humiliate all those that dared to challenge him.

It had the decency to not tell me how much time I was wasting either unlike Steam that very rudely keeps a tally for my wife to see.

Haha, yes steam is very rude indeed.

Sensible Soccer was awesome.

Heh, I'm an old frat who had a childhood before computers. Hi-tec for me was Subbuteo. I spent my childhood making football games with pencil, paper and dice creating football worlds just like the OP. Whiled years ago doing that. Glad I'm old and FM now, though.

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one! My missis also once told me about how she remembered, as a nipper, the ludicrous amount of time her brother spent on football games he invented using pencil, paper and dice. She was gobsmacked when I made my confession. There were probably thousands of us!

(I had to use a marble for the ball when I re-enacted games on my Subbuteo as I always thought the subbuteo balls were too big and therefore 'unrealistic')

I love this forum - it's like therapy!

If there was a heart or star function here I'd be giving you both one. I did the exact same but with the league plan in the back of Serie A stickercollection books. Did the whole league set of games including who scored when and then spent hours compiling league and top scorer lists - and then redoing it all over with different resulst each time. At the same time I hated maths in school, go wonder.

Thought I was the only one!

Did the same with a table-top cricket game, keeping scorecards and everything. I thought it was cool...

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one! My missis also once told me about how she remembered, as a nipper, the ludicrous amount of time her brother spent on football games he invented using pencil, paper and dice. She was gobsmacked when I made my confession. There were probably thousands of us!

(I had to use a marble for the ball when I re-enacted games on my Subbuteo as I always thought the subbuteo balls were too big and therefore 'unrealistic')

I love this forum - it's like therapy!

Remember those cardboard league tables you would get with 'Shoot' or 'Match' magazine? Id place about 4 teams in each league and then roll the dice when the teams 'played' each other. Happy Days.

I used to do the same thing. FA Cup, bits of paper with all the teams I'd draw out of a bag for each round, then let the dice decide the results.

Then one Christmas my folks got me an Amstrad CPC464 and that was the end of that.

Meanwhile, whilst all the other kids I knew had a BMX, I had a Raleigh Chopper. Let me tell you, it wasn't the best balanced bike to take on a BMX course... ;)

I finally have figured out a way I like to play the game... I was trying to figure out a way to just let all the teams play themselves and just be a spectator.. that may seem boring to some but its the way I like to play it... I have no idea what im doing managing a team and i dont find it to be very fun so what i did was just set up a new league ENGLAND with alll 7 divisions.... then I took over a team and got fired on the first day on purpose LOL... so now I can sit back and relax and watch all the games unfold including tournaments .. I love it that way.. ill bet im the only one that plays it this way out there

thats so nice you do what makes you happy my friend:)

I used to do the same thing. FA Cup, bits of paper with all the teams I'd draw out of a bag for each round, then let the dice decide the results.

Then one Christmas my folks got me an Amstrad CPC464 and that was the end of that.

Meanwhile, whilst all the other kids I knew had a BMX, I had a Raleigh Chopper. Let me tell you, it wasn't the best balanced bike to take on a BMX course... ;)

i did the same with my subbuteo, and played all the ties on my own:o

I knew there had to be others out there who created their footballing world with dice, pencil and paper. We used to also write down 256 teams from various countries around the world and one of us would go in goal while the other two would take a shot for each team. This would create our tournament hours of fun, I loved being Batistuta. Obviously I was one of the coolest kids in my town.

I knew there had to be others out there who created their footballing world with dice, pencil and paper. We used to also write down 256 teams from various countries around the world and one of us would go in goal while the other two would take a shot for each team. This would create our tournament hours of fun, I loved being Batistuta. Obviously I was one of the coolest kids in my town.

you sure was the arch angel gabriel what a player

Aye, and can you imagine kids t'day having the imagination to make their own entertainment with tuppence'orth o' pencil 'n' paper?

I've been making games with just pencil and paper for years....

In fact last week I found this little war game I started when I was younger and I decided I was going to finish. Brings back so many memories....its nice to get the imaginative juices flowing again :)

Also, a friend and I used to go down the park and have a kickaround, and we would act out our own version of the FA Cup. One of us in goal, one as the outfield players and we would do the commentary and play out a 'match', complete with penalties, red cards, etc. It would usually end up as a Liverpool v Bristol City final for some reason...

You now, after dice I got really sophisticated. I used a ragged old deck of cards and marked each one with things like 'penalty', 'goal 25 mins', booking (not sure of it was before days of yellow cards), and so on until 'peep! Full time'. Maybe if someone had given me an Amstrad or Sinclair I'd have been the one to code CM1 !!!

I had a pretty simple one compared to most of the above- would simply have two pages of an exercise book, write down 64 English clubs divided into 32 matches, and generate results using the Random number generator on my scientific calculator. I thought it was sophisticated because I had a table which used these generated numbers to generate a 'score' which would take into account whether the club was in the premiership, division 1/2/3 etc

Also, a friend and I used to go down the park and have a kickaround, and we would act out our own version of the FA Cup. One of us in goal, one as the outfield players and we would do the commentary and play out a 'match', complete with penalties, red cards, etc. It would usually end up as a Liverpool v Bristol City final for some reason...

lol!!! Me and my best mate did this too. We used to always start out with the intention of doing a whole league or cup competition but looking back maybe we didnt do all of them but we sure tried. Used to play in the street using peoples drives as goals and naturally provide commentary. Loads of memories...would have a pop bottle as the 'fa cup'.

Used to do this with lots of sports though. Used to have a dimmer in the front room where we would put a subbeteo pitch on the snooker table...then by dimming it down to cast the right shadow it seemed like the flood lights were on. Then when that was put away we'd do our own snooker tournament - typically around the time the Embassy World Championship was on at 'The Crucible'.

Happy, Happy Days...as you say, I wonder if kids these days have the imagination of those around a similar age group like us? Going to try and instil imagination into my child who's only 4 months...didnt even see kids playing out in the snow the other week ffs. Leave the photo realistic graphics to films and leave games looking 8/16 Bit where your mind fills in the gaps. :)

You now, after dice I got really sophisticated. I used a ragged old deck of cards and marked each one with things like 'penalty', 'goal 25 mins', booking (not sure of it was before days of yellow cards), and so on until 'peep! Full time'. Maybe if someone had given me an Amstrad or Sinclair I'd have been the one to code CM1 !!!

Would have made a superb board game!

Archived