Player/Coach Contract Question

I'm at Newcastle first season and Sol Campbell has become a player/coach after I had suggested it and then negotiated a contract with him. The problem now is I have a couple of players feeling there is too much competition for a first team place. My idea then was to make Sol become just a coach but he says it's too soon to re-negotiate a contract. So my question is this: if I "release on a free" or suggest mutual termination, will the termination be for both roles or just the player role?

I'm at Newcastle first season and Sol Campbell has become a player/coach after I had suggested it and then negotiated a contract with him. The problem now is I have a couple of players feeling there is too much competition for a first team place. My idea then was to make Sol become just a coach but he says it's too soon to re-negotiate a contract. So my question is this: if I "release on a free" or suggest mutual termination, will the termination be for both roles or just the player role?

will be for both as he has 1 contract that covers 2 roles. Cancelling will release him from the club and he probably wont re-sign as you just terminated his deal.

if I "release on a free" or suggest mutual termination, will the termination be for both roles or just the player role?

Both.

First, I'd suggest to carry on as normal. It's a result-orientated game, and if your players can't handle the pressures of fighting for their places, they can't handle playing at top level. And my gut feeling (=backed by my own experience with no data) is that good players play better when they have some competition (somebody in some other thread said it's probably/almost certainly written into game, but he wasn't 100%).

But from my experience, it's always better to have bit of competition for places. You'll end up flipping coin to choose your first XI and occasionally iffing and butting "I should've played B instead of A", but that's much better than having an expensive star underperforming and having no-one decent to play instead when he should be dropped.

Secondly, if you're not intending to play Sol, have you tried dropping him to reserves? Maybe that would calm the other CB's?

Both.

First, I'd suggest to carry on as normal. It's a result-orientated game, and if your players can't handle the pressures of fighting for their places, they can't handle playing at top level. And my gut feeling (=backed by my own experience with no data) is that good players play better when they have some competition (somebody in some other thread said it's probably/almost certainly written into game, but he wasn't 100%).

But from my experience, it's always better to have bit of competition for places. You'll end up flipping coin to choose your first XI and occasionally iffing and butting "I should've played B instead of A", but that's much better than having an expensive star underperforming and having no-one decent to play instead when he should be dropped.

Secondly, if you're not intending to play Sol, have you tried dropping him to reserves? Maybe that would calm the other CB's?

That's a good point about competition, I guess in real life it would be the same so fair enough. And I haven't tried putting him in reserves yet because it's match day against Villa but I'll try it after the match and see how things work out.

besides, until he officially announces he is retiring as a player you cannot offer him just a coaching job. he will reject and insist on player/coach. You have to wait until he retires to offer him just a coach.

besides, until he officially announces he is retiring as a player you cannot offer him just a coaching job. he will reject and insist on player/coach. You have to wait until he retires to offer him just a coach.

no you dont, i have done it several times using player chat, some will accept soley coaching

Worse comes you just sit him in the reserves, never pick him for the first team, and use him solely as a coach. If he accepted a player/coach contract he won't mind that. The only problem will be that you have a coach with a huge wage.

Archived