Losing streaks

Has anyone experienced their team going on a lengthy losing streak when everything before was working fine? I'm mangaging the Wellington Phoenix in the Hyundai A-league (I like managing small teams in foreign leagues every now and then plus I had a fantastic trip to Wellington, NZ this time last year) and was sitting comfortably at the top of the table 11 points clear of 2nd place. All my players seeemed to be happy, my first 11 was showing signs of good form and I was beating teams confidently. Before my unusual losing streak began, I had lost 5 games up until that point. Now I have lost 6 games on the trot without any logical explanation. Individual player performances have rated 7 and above in games, players fitness levels are pretty good as is morale. I have tried everything I can think of to halt this poor run of form. I have made changes to the training schedule so that motivation was selected to intensive, I have praised players on good performance to keep morale high and I have tweaked my tactics to better protect leads. Nothing seems to work.

Has anyone else experienced a losing streak similar to this? I only have 5 games left of the season and I am in danger of losing the title.

• SI Staff

Check if you have an influential player out injured (older player who's respected and has a high leadership level) - this can sometimes cause this sort of thing, especially if its a relatively young side.

The other thing which can sometimes cause this is a lot of new signings - if you have a lot of new players in the squad then it'll take a while for them to 'gel' - sometimes this period is short if you're lucky, but if things go against you then it can be prolonged and painful (the forthcoming update will contain a change so there will be some visible profile text to warn you if someone is having trouble settling into the team incidentally).

PS - Oh and hold old is your goalkeeper? - could pressure have gotten to him? ...

I have lost an influential defender who has been one of my most conistent performers. He's aged 29 and has a leadership rating of 15. Australia have called him up to national squad for the Asia cup which means he's away for about five games. It could be down to that but my other central defender, who has also been playing really well, has a leadership rating of 13 and is aged 30. Is this not eough to maintain continuity influence wise?

I have only made one signing and that was at the start of the season (the 30 year old defender as mentioned above). My goalkeeper is aged 25, has been a really consistent performer and his last five match ratings have been 5-7-7-8-8. He did get sent off in the last game though.

• SI Staff
I have lost an influential defender who has been one of my most conistent performers. He's aged 29 and has a leadership rating of 15. Australia have called him up to national squad for the Asia cup which means he's away for about five games. It could be down to that but my other central defender, who has also been playing really well, has a leadership rating of 13 and is aged 30. Is this not eough to maintain continuity influence wise?

It could be this - hard to say without having the save to hand I'm afraid, might also be that his characteristics compliment the other defender better than his replacement? (for instance generally I try to have one mobile (ie. fast) DC and one who is great in the air - preferably neither are awful at either - but having complimentary players definitely helps with defensive balance).

I have only made one signing and that was at the start of the season (the 30 year old defender as mentioned above). My goalkeeper is aged 25, has been a really consistent performer and his last five match ratings have been 5-7-7-8-8. He did get sent off in the last game though.

Sounds sensible enough - also one thing which might be worth checking, it might just be you're playing tough teams in a glut?

This sort of thing can have a huge effect on form - for instance at the start of this season Chelsea played a lot of smaller teams and thrashed them, the press raved about them hugely at that point ... Man Utd started slow playing tougher sides and to the media didn't look as good - however now that the situation has changed (Man Utd and Chelsea have both played a nice mix of tough/easy sides now as you'd expect at this point in the season) the initial result balance which made Chelsea look so great has been mellowed out a bit.

Archived