Eastwood + Penalties = Fail

In at least the last 3 versions of FM I've encountered a bit of a problem with Freddy Eastwood when I'm managing Coventry. I've generally learnt to make sure his name isn't on the list of penalty takers wherever possible, and would even consider putting a regular keeper on the list so that the captain doesn't decide to let him have a go on the off chance. But alas now and then whether due to my own neglect or purely by chance he does end up taking the odd one and I have not seen him convert a single pen!!! In fact, 90% of the time he doesn't even hit the target. Whether selected as a regular or not, it just doesn't work.

Attributes: Pens - 15, Finishing (I personally consider) - 12, Composure - 10.

He does have the PPM of shoots with power and does tend to lash his pens at goal, but still.

Any thoughts on why it could be? He just cost me a Quarter Final shoot out with Liverpool (I should have known better)

His PPM possibly doesn't help but I would say its probably down to hidden attributes as well.

Is he the sort of player that often lacks confidence? has poor morale? tends to have runs of games where he doesn't score?

EDIT

Have you looked at the coach reports?

Do they suggest he doesn't like big occasions or anything to do with an inability to handle pressure.

LOL nice, no I really couldn't care less tactically speaking. I just don't let him take pens anymore. His morale is always superb because of his response to a high league bonus, as for runs of games I generally play him as a deep lying forward or target man ball to feet so he picks up regular assists and bags himself the odd goal from range too.

I've always just wondered as he always seems to leave an away fan in row Z concussed whenever he steps up to the spot.

I always think composure and decisions are very important for a penalty taker. I've seen many players with a high penalty taking stat who are useless. I take it to mean that their actual technique say in training is good, but in a pressure environment they lack the mental strength to reproduce that ability.

Archived