some questions for marc

ok, just trying to get my head round some things and try and work out where i am going wrong. So if its possible to answer these questions then id really appreciate it.

1. When i start a new game with Man Utd i do a lot of selling and buying and make sure i have quality players through my first and 2nd 11. now there is no noticable problem with this in the game, no players getting the hump, no drop in morale. so.......is it possible that all my buying and selling is making a difference to the way my team plays even though the game doesnt show this through the stats? as in too much chopping and changing?

2. if i constantly play my best 11 players will the team play better, as in they play more together so they gel more? or will it make no difference if i chop and change the first 11 every match?

3. i notice than some young players whos stats are dog turd are often reffered to by the assistant as being one of the best young players at the club even though they clearly arent. IMO Welbeck for united........ are there unseen stats which make him better than he appears?

4. How much difference is there between player a player in there natural position or in an accomplished position? say Nani for united. natural position on the right but used just as much on the left.........how much difference is there playing him on the left?

5. is it better to loan out young players to get them matches to improve their stats or is it better to just leave them in the squad training?

thats it for now, ive got more but ive forgotten at the mo.

Any help would be great:thup:

• SI Staff
1. When i start a new game with Man Utd i do a lot of selling and buying and make sure i have quality players through my first and 2nd 11. now there is no noticable problem with this in the game, no players getting the hump, no drop in morale. so.......is it possible that all my buying and selling is making a difference to the way my team plays even though the game doesnt show this through the stats? as in too much chopping and changing?

Plays do take time to settle into a squad sometimes - and it might take a while before they play to their fullest ability; I agree this should be more 'visible' to users and I'll look at adding a string to their profile to indicate they're 'settling into the squad' or something similar when they first join if this is a concern as that might help people understand this is a factor.

2. if i constantly play my best 11 players will the team play better, as in they play more together so they gel more? or will it make no difference if i chop and change the first 11 every match?

Players will blend together to some extent - this is most noticable if you see 'links' between players on their profiles, ie. a player might think he works well with 'x' or thinks 'y' is a valuable member of the team etc.

I try and make sure things as visible as possible generally so people can make sensible decisions (although as I mention in my response to (1) I'm not perfect and still need advice from you lot :D).

3. i notice than some young players whos stats are dog turd are often reffered to by the assistant as being one of the best young players at the club even though they clearly arent. IMO Welbeck for united........ are there unseen stats which make him better than he appears?

It could be unseen stats (mental ones mainly) or just that he's seen as having a lot of potential - players with 'potential' in the game can sometimes be spotted, the way it works is that during a match a young player will normally perform according to his ability HOWEVER he may have flashes of his true potential where he plays up to his potential level ... if you see a young player who looks rubbish but actually plays consistently well chances are he might have a bright future ahead of him ....

Obviously with such players its safer/easier to spot such things for attacking players, you really don't want your goalkeeper showing a 'flash' of brilliance and letting the next 4 shots trickle through his legs ;)

4. How much difference is there between player a player in there natural position or in an accomplished position? say Nani for united. natural position on the right but used just as much on the left.........how much difference is there playing him on the left?

There isn't that much difference at all in terms of performance between natural and accomplished - the 'natural' just indicates their preferred position generally (the effect on performance is present but is very very minor).

5. is it better to loan out young players to get them matches to improve their stats or is it better to just leave them in the squad training?

It depends largely on where they go on loan to and how much match experience they get there.

While on loan they'll use their loan clubs training facilities - if those are rubbish and they're not playing then they're better off at home ... however if they're getting match experience then that is crucial, they might not improve quite as much in terms of ability (depending on training facilities and how they perform) BUT it will help improve their ability to handle the pressure of a live match, grow as an on-pitch leader etc. .... things which can't be taught through just training.

(personally I generally try and send people out on loan - normally if they're playing and doing well that will more than offset any loss from the difference in training facilities and as mentioned the mental improvements can make a big difference to a players performance long-term)

• SI Staff

PS - I've just added some additional profile text for players who are having problems initially with adapting to a team if it might affect their performances, that way you'll be able to make an informed decision about fielding players ...

Thanks for the info marc and thanks for the additional profile text. After reading everything you said i started a game as Barcelona, im hoping its your advice that has worked and not that the spanish league is too easy. On a side note.......in my game Man Utd have been mid table all season, so maybe i was actually playing United better than what they actually are.

anyway, heres a pic after marcs team talk :-)

IMG_0391.png

Archived