Ineligible for the Champions League?

Okay. I am simply baffled here.

As Manchester United, in the third season, I have bought Nicolas Otamendi from FC Porto. I bought him on July 31st 2012. He had not played any games for Porto this season except for 2 friendly matches. So it is soon September, and now I have to register my squad for the group stages of the Champions League. Okay. I go to the selection screen and to my bemusement, Otamendi has "Ine" next to his name (ineligible.) It is greyed out and I can't select him! :mad: What? He played no qualifying games for Porto, and I even checked his history to see if he got sent off last season, but no...

What is going on? Why can't I play my 20m defender? :confused:

Nothing really stands out.

Is it only the Champions League he is ineligible for?

The only thing I could think of would be if Porto had loaned him out at some point between January & July and he had therefore already played for two clubs during 2012.

Presumably Porto are in either the Champions League or Europa League? If so - what qualifying round did they start their campaign in? And what was the date of that round? If the registration date for that round was before you signed otamendi, then perhaps they had registered him for their squad, which may make him ineligible for your squad in the group stages?

Of course this could be total rubbish - in which case post it in the bugs forum.

Nothing really stands out.

Is it only the Champions League he is ineligible for?

The only thing I could think of would be if Porto had loaned him out at some point between January & July and he had therefore already played for two clubs during 2012.

Yes, only the Champions League. I can play him in the Premier League.

He was at Porto for two years before I signed him, never loaned out. Like I said, before I signed him in July he only played 2 friendly matches for Porto. I am really confused. I think it must be a bug. Hopefully I can select him in February.

Its a good shout from Robin and might be the reason.

Other than that maybe post it in the bugs forum as its more likely that you'll get a clearer answer in there, especially if someone from SI has time to look at an uploaded save.

Presumably Porto are in either the Champions League or Europa League? If so - what qualifying round did they start their campaign in? And what was the date of that round? If the registration date for that round was before you signed otamendi, then perhaps they had registered him for their squad, which may make him ineligible for your squad in the group stages?

Of course this could be total rubbish - in which case post it in the bugs forum.

That's a good thought, and probably the most likely, but it's still annoying me because last season I signed van der Wiel from Ajax on August 30th. He had already played in qualifying rounds for Ajax, but I registered him for the group stages no problem.

Archived