What frustrates you the most in FM?

For me I think it has to be the impossible saves made by keepers, and yes that includes my own.

My last game, I'm Cherno more in Bulgaria vs my rival Leviski. Their keeper is standing on the far left post of the goal watching my right winger make a beautiful cross right in front of him, my striker gets the easiest goal shot imaginable and goes to put it in the top corner on the right side of the net. Keeper is standing all the way on the other side of the goal, dives and manages to make the save on the ball. Impossible to dive that far and still have enough height and extension to make that save, completely impossible. Oh and their keeper is some 19 year old scrub as their top keeper was on international duty and their second was injured.

So what frustrates you the most?

Those red cards and professional fouls. Even though the striker is 30-40 yards away from goal, as long as he is through the last defender of the defensive line by an inch, it doesn't matter if there are 2 other defenders on the sides, the referee will give a straight red card.

Frankly there are way too many red cards in this game. I don't mind the 2nd yellow that equals a red; it's the straight red that changes games.

Extra time is another annoyance. If one team scores in the 94th minute, the referee will allow the game to continue until the 95-96th minute, which possibly allows another goal, as opposed to blowing the whistle right after the goal.

Teams bidding for players despite empty budgets or player restriction are also annoying. They bid for the same player that I'm signing in the last few days of the transfer window, win the bid war on the last day, then BAM! they can't sign another non-EU player this season. But the transfer window has already passed by then, so I have to wait until the next one.

For me I think it has to be the impossible saves made by keepers, and yes that includes my own.

My last game, I'm Cherno more in Bulgaria vs my rival Leviski. Their keeper is standing on the far left post of the goal watching my right winger make a beautiful cross right in front of him, my striker gets the easiest goal shot imaginable and goes to put it in the top corner on the right side of the net. Keeper is standing all the way on the other side of the goal, dives and manages to make the save on the ball. Impossible to dive that far and still have enough height and extension to make that save, completely impossible. Oh and their keeper is some 19 year old scrub as their top keeper was on international duty and their second was injured.

So what frustrates you the most?

The fact that this happens every second match!

Oh,and the extremely overpriced players.(Ex:28 million for Gillardino or Criscito.)

Outplaying inferior teams, yet not getting wins - or simply getting outplayed by inferior teams (and not knowing why)

yeah mate get this all the time i always thought its because im city a team with a big reputation but maybe not as good players and the tenceny to always do this sort of thing anyway

Losing despite creating 5 or 6 CCC's and the opponents only having 1 or even 0 shots on target. But that's football (Sunderland v Blackpool springs to mind).

Not having the option "Slap the big girl's blouse round the chops and send him on his way" in player interaction.

playing a club with a tight(ish) wage budget due to limited finances, having 2 players having "highest earner clause", forgetting about this clause, giving some wonder kid a £70,000 / week deal to fight off interest from madrid and having your wages go up by about 100k + when the other two get big wage increases aswell ;/

playing a club with a tight(ish) wage budget due to limited finances, having 2 players having "highest earner clause", forgetting about this clause, giving some wonder kid a £70,000 / week deal to fight off interest from madrid and having your wages go up by about 100k + when the other two get big wage increases aswell ;/

Same here, it wasn't mentioned that this clause would have been active also after the contract sign. It is costing also to me lot of FM money and I learnt the lesson but I will have to pay for it for the next 4/5 years.

SI should have warned us about this clause consequence.....

My legal dept is already at work :mad::)

What frustrates me the most? It's not a bug, nor a pet peeve, it's not even any other issue I might or might not have with the game... it's the fact that it gets boring way too fast. Have fun with tactics, you say? The game – as in its match engine etc. – feels way too unresponsive, random and most importantly impenetrable to get any fun out of that. Devising a tactic effective in the game is possible, but emulating real world tactical choices and seeing tangible results you might expect? Not so much.

Enjoy the alternate reality of football, so to speak? That's not entirely possible either. The tools to keep an eye on what happens might be present in the game, but they are not user friendly or smooth. When the current players start disappearing, I have almost no idea of who is a bright talent, who is a magnificent manager or what team is a glorious overachiever. You know, like I do know right now with Kadlec, Mourinho or Blackpool.

Yes, I know I can come up with some challenge or other, but why? After a few moments of fun it's going to turn into ClickOnContinue Manager 2011 again. It's not this year's fault either, it's the franchise as a whole.The game feels dead, empty and boring. Not immersive at all with the poor player/manager interaction and awful press conferences. I know it might sound strange, given I'm in the 2018/19 season, but it's true. And has been for some time.

For me as the current Liverpool manager the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that Torres is always injured. I know he has injury problems irl but this is rediculous. He gets injured, comes back fully fit and then after 1 or 2 games at the most he's out again for a month - 6 weeks. It was getting so bad that I was seriously considering selling him but I didn't want to face the wrath of the fans or board for selling one of the clubs star players.

Thankfully though since I installed 11.2 patch this issue seems to have been addressed and isn't happening quite so regularly. Just hope I haven't spoken too soon!!!

For me as the current Liverpool manager the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that Torres is always injured. I know he has injury problems irl but this is rediculous. He gets injured, comes back fully fit and then after 1 or 2 games at the most he's out again for a month - 6 weeks. It was getting so bad that I was seriously considering selling him but I didn't want to face the wrath of the fans or board for selling one of the clubs star players.

Thankfully though since I installed 11.2 patch this issue seems to have been addressed and isn't happening quite so regularly. Just hope I haven't spoken too soon!!!

I apologise in advance for this link but it had to be done:

http://how-to-spell-ridiculous.com/

Outplaying inferior teams, yet not getting wins - or simply getting outplayed by inferior teams (and not knowing why)

I got hammered 4-0 by a team 2nd from bottom, I was on the back of a 7-0 win and would of won the league with this game, kept almost the same 11, told them to carry on from their last match, but my entire defence, keeper and centre mid couldnt be bothered, I was 4 down in 30 mins, made 3 subs straight after, had chances but didnt take them, but the club made a mint from all the fines I handed out to them afterwards lol

I got hammered 4-0 by a team 2nd from bottom, I was on the back of a 7-0 win and would of won the league with this game, kept almost the same 11, told them to carry on from their last match, but my entire defence, keeper and centre mid couldnt be bothered, I was 4 down in 30 mins, made 3 subs straight after, had chances but didnt take them, but the club made a mint from all the fines I handed out to them afterwards lol

Hahahaha...... Class that one mate.

I found that in fm you really need to keep changing your team. I am Luton and I have got them back to back promotions into league 1 and currently I am rotating a 27 player squad. Mixture of youth and experience. I feel that bringing a lower team up you need to take risks with money. I am currently £10k in the positive but I know for a fact that the monthly payments of players will not be covered by my income and therefore I will be in debt. Unfortunately (like many other teams do in real life) I am relying on prize money and such to keep me in the positive.

The game isn't "broken" as many people thought. I firmly believe (and no other person can change this, it is my opinion) that this is one of the most realistic and fun football management simulators ever created. I haven't seen one problem. Teams have a good week and then a bad week and this can happen on and off. I mean, look at Wolves. They beat chelsea tonight yet previously they were dead bottom.

Somebody, earlier in this thread, made a comment about mimicking real life tactics. I think the game does this well. I have seen in many situations in real life a team playing a 4-5-1. The striker makes the run out to the wing and both wingers make a run into the box, couple of cm's making a run up and the dm sitting back waiting for the counter-attack. Plus, when a few bad results come along. Change the whole tactic. Managers do it in real life, Look at Fergie for example, he likes playing a 4-5-1, a 4-1-4-1(Carrick playing as the man between the defence and the midfield) and the ol' faithful 4-4-2. Also, another thing regarding team selection, realistically it is hard in real-life to keep the same starting 11 as the previous week because players may be coming back from injury, players may be tired, maybe its time to give another player a go. Naturally, bring in "fresh legs" does work.

People on this forum look for things to moan about. And 9 times out of 10 it is because (this is my own opinion, I don't particularly want to get into an argument) they get a run of bad luck. The best example is Chelsea, They had a great start to the season after having a previously great season and now they can't score many goals and are lacking confidence. They are also possibly looking at losing the title. It happens.

1) too many press conferences... after 1 season you simply must tick the option to send you assistant; questions are repetitive = boring.

2) no european cups possible for any B/C/II affiliation clubs

What frustrates me the most? It's not a bug, nor a pet peeve, it's not even any other issue I might or might not have with the game... it's the fact that it gets boring way too fast. Have fun with tactics, you say? The game – as in its match engine etc. – feels way too unresponsive, random and most importantly impenetrable to get any fun out of that. Devising a tactic effective in the game is possible, but emulating real world tactical choices and seeing tangible results you might expect? Not so much.

Enjoy the alternate reality of football, so to speak? That's not entirely possible either. The tools to keep an eye on what happens might be present in the game, but they are not user friendly or smooth. When the current players start disappearing, I have almost no idea of who is a bright talent, who is a magnificent manager or what team is a glorious overachiever. You know, like I do know right now with Kadlec, Mourinho or Blackpool.

Yes, I know I can come up with some challenge or other, but why? After a few moments of fun it's going to turn into ClickOnContinue Manager 2011 again. It's not this year's fault either, it's the franchise as a whole.The game feels dead, empty and boring. Not immersive at all with the poor player/manager interaction and awful press conferences. I know it might sound strange, given I'm in the 2018/19 season, but it's true. And has been for some time.

You're not alone, been thinking the same... we can only hope that they will start tweaking the interaction, that alone being just less painful would do magic...theres certainly other issues, but when it keeps slapping you in the face, it's getting old.

So many things frustrate me in FM.

Missing all my pens in a shootout, conceding from kick offs, watching goals on the 3d engine - far too many slide tackle finishes.

But by far and away the thing that frustrates me the most is not being able to throw something at a player who "didnt seem to be listening" to my team talk. It baffles me how they dont listen to a team talk when im right in front of them but when it comes to a press conference they're not even at they pay full attention.

What frustrates me the most is how the game, while playable, seems to be at least a little broken in almost all aspects. I could find something that is broken/unrealistic pretty much anywhere, without thinking I'm being too harsh or petty.

It's the little things. If you're dedicated to a game and have played 10 seasons, new players will almost always have low Flair. I find this unacceptable, like how can a bug like that pass testing for game release and two patches..

Player interaction is very incomplete. You can tell a player all sorts of preferred moves, but you can't tell him you're dropping him for a few games due to wanting to test someone else in his position.

Offering contracts to some players is just more of a headache than it should be. It shouldn't be easy, but things like ridiculously high signing on fees to impossible agents make it a really tough experience.

Racking up one-on-ones with the keeper, or what seems to be one-on-ones, and having the keeper block them all, makes me want to give up the idea that it's football we're playing. You'll have to learn on your own what is really a good goal scoring opportunity and expect to miss the bulk of what seems to be great chances but really isn't, within the game.

Results in AI vs AI matches are unrealistic. I've played 5 seasons in LIGA BBVA and scorelines like 6-0, 7-1, 1-5, 0-5 etc seem to be way too common. The most absurd score I've seen, and remember I've only played for 5 seasons, was R.Madrid beating Deportivo 11-0 at home.

If you're a top team wanting to sign a player valued at €10M, you'll never ever get him without offering at least 4 times his value, and that's on the low spectrum of examples. Often you'll have to go higher. If you're selling however, and a club enquires about one of your €5M players and you feel like charging €8M, forget it, they'll never be in touch again.

There are a ton of little things like that that just irritate me, but they're not so bad that I can't play the game. I'm desperately wanting a new patch though as I can see myself getting fed up with all these little things sometime in the near future.

Does anyone feel that the amount of crosses that beat the first defender are extremely low? I haven't actually counted, but I feel that somewhere between 70 and 80 percent of crosses knock straight into the guy closing down your winger. also, when this happens, the ball unfailingly goes out for a corner. So I guess you get your chance in the end, but you'd think that top EPL wingers such as nani and bale would be able to beat the 1st man quite frequently.

With regards to corner kicks, it feels like the defending team has significantly better odds of getting to the ball first, even if the attacking team has some great arial threats (Dzeko, Zigic, Crouch, Llorente).

I'm also tired of the corner kick taker being caught offside every time someone passes it back to him. Ex. Corner is taken, and headed clear by the defense towards half. A player from the attacking team receives it and hits a 30 yard pass back to the corner taker, who has failed to move into an onside position.

For me it has to be, far too many fouls and injuries. There are quite a few annoying things going on in FM 11 but if this issue was addressed I could probably cope with the others.

there's to few injuries in fm

for me it have to be the wide player bug that make MR/ML act like defenders when you play a formation with no wide defenders (in practice this makes a flat 3-4-3 formation act exactly like a flat 5-2-3)

You want to know what frustrates me do ya? Well I'll tell you!

The importance of tactics. Some times player quality is just too strong for a solid tactical side. I could send my Barcelona side out at home to someone like Montrose with ridiculous tactics and the game would be so unrealistic as a result...

Oooh Lionel Messi's player instructions is slightly off perfect, he'll now get embarrassed and made to look like an ordinary player by Ross Tokely or Titus Bramble. The greatest footballer of all time and he's utterly useless without the correct tactics. Yes, I agree, tactics are important to an extent as proven by Maradona's use of Leo Messi at the World Cup, but..., I'd expect - like I say - the greatest footballer of all time to break through any feeble tactical barrier that may be in his way. He's that good. You wouldn't think it, though, would you? I await people sending me screenshots of how good their Lionel Messi is. Yes, I bet you download some uber tactic which could probably destroy a small city if it were dropped out of a plane.

As Barcelona manager, as long as my tactics aren't absolutely woeful, is it unreasonable to send out my strongest XI at home to teams like Mallorca and Levante and expect 60 percent possession at the very least? Is that really so unreasonable? It's laughable that even when you're managing quite possibly the greatest club side of all time, your tactics still need to be 100% on the money just to have the slightest bit of realism in your matches.

Another thing that annoys me is after 90 minutes Xavi has only attempted like 20 passes and completed 13 or 14 of them... WTF is that all about? I've got him on playmaker etc.

Overload is another thing that gets me riled, personally. It never works for me. It just makes my players stand around daydreaming, wondering whether or not they left the iron on and if they should put Ketchup on their fish fingers tonight at dinner or if they should leave it.

The blatant bias towards English clubs, the English national team and English players also frustrates me. Although, for some unknown reason, the best team in England (Manchester United) have been absolutely woeful in the past few editions of Football Manager (on my games, at least), while teams like Spurs are running away with the league season on season. Has nobody at SI watched a Liverpool game for the past 2 and a half years? I have... and it doesn't make for pretty viewing, I'll say that right now. Yet in FM they're better than Barcelona, Steven Gerrard is literally god... Steven Gerrard will shoot.... and he'll score, hitting the top corner at speeds Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull F1 racing car could only dream of. Fernando Torres is so clinical that he couldn't miss the 10 o'clock news if he turned his TV on at 11 o'clock. On the other hand, David Villa's shooting is so wayward that if you gave him a gun and told him to shoot his foot he'd end up in hospital with gunshot wounds to his rear end.

England winning every World Cup is incredibly infuriating.

Didier Drogba having a higher teamwork attribute than Lionel Messi and Andres Iniesta is absolutely baffling. Just can't get my head around it. We're talking about a guy who spat the dummy out well and truly because on the last day of the season, with a title to be won, his club's regular penalty taker wouldn't allow him to take it so he could win top goalscorer... real team player there! On the other hand, we're talking about two assist kings. Two guys who've graduated from La Masia and you're telling me Didier bloody Drogba is more of a team player than two of the worlds best footballers from the school of FCB?!?!?! Come on!!!

Pedro's finishing being 13, his pace and acceleration being 15 and 14... that is utterly ridiculous. That frustrates me. He's one of the best finishers in the world, do you people not watch La Liga? His finishing is up there with the Messi's and Ronaldo's of this world... his acceleration and pace is just crazy. There's countless times when he's been played through by Xavi, Messi or Iniesta IRL and that's it, he's away, no catching him... His finishing is valued at the same level as Bendtner's and Walcott's. Ryan Babel and Ricardo Fuller have higher finishing... Carlton Cole also FFS. It just gets better and better. Yakubu has 3 higher notches for finishing than Pedro... Mr. 3 Kebab's a night! Totally ridiculous. Yakubu, at finishing 16, is rated on equal terms as Edin Dzeko and one, ONE number below the great man, Lionel Messi's finishing stat. Could anybody realistically see Yakubu scoring the 3rd goal that Leo Messi scored vs Arsenal last year? He'd still be on the Camp Nou pitch at this very moment!! Crawling towards the ball, gasping for air, kebab sauce running down his chin faster than what he can actually run.

Gonzalo Higuain being as lethal as a bite from some tropical Spider also gets on my puppies.

All in all, lots of things about FM infuriate me so, so much. So much so that I've just listened to the whole Nick Drake album 'Pink Moon' in the time it's taken me to write this. Scandalous. I'm 4 songs into another album now. I hate FM yet I can't pull myself away from it. Give me my life back FM. You've already given me numerous grey hairs and ensured I'll die in my 50's with a heart attack. I love you really xx.

I think SEGA tried to implement to many changes to the game this year and many of the changes have been added half assed and unfinished. This will mean that FM 2012 will be a year where the game will be polished meaning it will practically be a patch of FM 2011.

The importance of tactics. Some times player quality is just too strong for a solid tactical side. I could send my Barcelona side out at home to someone like Montrose with ridiculous tactics and the game would be so unrealistic as a result...

Oooh Lionel Messi's player instructions is slightly off perfect, he'll now get embarrassed and made to look like an ordinary player by Ross Tokely or Titus Bramble. The greatest footballer of all time and he's utterly useless without the correct tactics. Yes, I agree, tactics are important to an extent as proven by Maradona's use of Leo Messi at the World Cup, but..., I'd expect - like I say - the greatest footballer of all time to break through any feeble tactical barrier that may be in his way. He's that good. You wouldn't think it, though, would you? I await people sending me screenshots of how good their Lionel Messi is. Yes, I bet you download some uber tactic which could probably destroy a small city if it were dropped out of a plane.

As Barcelona manager, as long as my tactics aren't absolutely woeful, is it unreasonable to send out my strongest XI at home to teams like Mallorca and Levante and expect 60 percent possession at the very least? Is that really so unreasonable? It's laughable that even when you're managing quite possibly the greatest club side of all time, your tactics still need to be 100% on the money just to have the slightest bit of realism in your matches.

Another thing that annoys me is after 90 minutes Xavi has only attempted like 20 passes and completed 13 or 14 of them... WTF is that all about? I've got him on playmaker etc.

Overload is another thing that gets me riled, personally. It never works for me. It just makes my players stand around daydreaming, wondering whether or not they left the iron on and if they should put Ketchup on their fish fingers tonight at dinner or if they should leave it.

The blatant bias towards English clubs, the English national team and English players also frustrates me. Although, for some unknown reason, the best team in England (Manchester United) have been absolutely woeful in the past few editions of Football Manager (on my games, at least), while teams like Spurs are running away with the league season on season. Has nobody at SI watched a Liverpool game for the past 2 and a half years? I have... and it doesn't make for pretty viewing, I'll say that right now. Yet in FM they're better than Barcelona, Steven Gerrard is literally god... Steven Gerrard will shoot.... and he'll score, hitting the top corner at speeds Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull F1 racing car could only dream of. Fernando Torres is so clinical that he couldn't miss the 10 o'clock news if he turned his TV on at 11 o'clock. On the other hand, David Villa's shooting is so wayward that if you gave him a gun and told him to shoot his foot he'd end up in hospital with gunshot wounds to his rear end.

Didier Drogba having a higher teamwork attribute than Lionel Messi and Andres Iniesta is absolutely baffling. Just can't get my head around it. We're talking about a guy who spat the dummy out well and truly because on the last day of the season, with a title to be won, his club's regular penalty taker wouldn't allow him to take it so he could win top goalscorer... real team player there! On the other hand, we're talking about two assist kings. Two guys who've graduated from La Masia and you're telling me Didier bloody Drogba is more of a team player than two of the worlds best footballers from the school of FCB?!?!?! Come on!!!

Pedro's finishing being 13, his pace and acceleration being 15 and 14... that is utterly ridiculous. That frustrates me. He's one of the best finishers in the world, do you people not watch La Liga? His finishing is up there with the Messi's and Ronaldo's of this world... his acceleration and pace is just crazy. There's countless times when he's been played through by Xavi, Messi or Iniesta IRL and that's it, he's away, no catching him... His finishing is valued at the same level as Bendtner's and Walcott's. Ryan Babel and Ricardo Fuller have higher finishing... Carlton Cole also FFS. It just gets better and better. Yakubu has 3 higher notches for finishing than Pedro... Mr. 3 Kebab's a night! Totally ridiculous. Yakubu, at finishing 16, is rated on equal terms as Edin Dzeko and one, ONE number below the great man, Lionel Messi's finishing stat. Could anybody realistically see Yakubu scoring the 3rd goal that Leo Messi scored vs Arsenal last year? He'd still be on the Camp Nou pitch at this very moment!! Crawling towards the ball, gasping for air, kebab sauce running down his chin faster than what he can actually run.

Gonzalo Higuain being as lethal as a bite from some tropical Spider also gets on my puppies.

All in all, lots of things about FM infuriate me so, so much. So much so that I've just listened to the whole Nick Drake album 'Pink Moon' in the time it's taken me to write this. Scandalous. I'm 4 songs into another album now. I hate FM yet I can't pull myself away from it. Give me my life back FM. You've already given me numerous grey hairs and ensured I'll die in my 50's with a heart attack. I love you really xx.

Very insightful. Glad Im not the only one who notices some odd patterns. I have trouble getting any good players to Bulgaria, even though Im in 2018 and Ive won the league multiple times, been in the Champions league and have gone to the quarter finals, haven't yet won it though. Even with all this my top paid player is at 10k a week. I can't compete against teams with guys earning 300k a week.

great post, agree with most of it. Won a game with my man united team at home in the epl 8-1 against everton I think with about 70% possession followed up with a 0-0 away draw to newcastle who were bottom with 0 wins 4 draws and 10 losses. 35 goals conceded. Same tactics as the 8-1 yet my team were utterly hopeless and had 8 shots in the entire game with less than 50% possession, why????

great post, but it’s a English game made for the English market and therefore bias against all what’s playing on their island. So for them Wayne Rooney must be the best player on this earth and Steven Gerrard is close to a saint, else SI won’t sell any copies of FM.

1. Contract negotiations - 20 players contract ready to expire in 6 months (well offer them a new effing contract then??? Especially if they are marked clearly as Rotation/First Team/Key players) If they are only marked as Backup/Hot Prospect/Youth then yeh let me know and I'll take look)
  2. Staff getting nicked every time you look away from the screen
  3. Crazy wage demands (from youth to experienced players)
  4. Agents hating you for no reason and not allowing their client to negotiate a contract with you!!!
  5. Going on holiday for a match - you put a few youth players in to give them a game. You win the game you check the match stats - the 3 youth players were all subbed by the 25 minute despite having a rating of over 6.5 (better than some ended with). And you've asked your ass man not to mess with starting line up or tactics (yet he does).
  6. 39 shots on goal, 27 on target - the other team has 3 shots and 1 on target and win 1-0 (yeh it happens in real life too, just happens way too many times in FM11)

That is all for now

I can't say that anything genuinley frustrates me, because i feel like we experience a 'simulation' of the frustration a manager feels in real life, but obviously only a miniscule version of it.

There are tons of things broken in the game, the red cards are getting quite ridiculous, there are 4 or 5 in the prem every week, and i get players sent of for minore infringments. Also, When a player gets an 8.3 rating in his last game, i praise him, i don't expect a tantrum because he thought he was 'a bit rubbish'.

But then again, you could say it adds to the challenge. I was thinking last night that this is the most complex game ever made, there are so many variables and all in all SI do a great job. Some weeks i think the game has it spot on in terms of realism, with certain aspects of the game anyway.

People complain about morale being too effective, but i think SI have done well to reflect how it is in real life. Just look at Chelsea, Blackpool etc.

When i put out an advert for coach and getting a bunch of people applying for anything but the coach position.

And also if i need 3 coaches, hire one and trying to continue to keep the advert out there.

The advert disappears when that one guy signs the contract, so i have to put up the advert again, despite me choosing to keep the advert there.

Archived