Forget Ronaldinho going to Blackburn this is a bigger shock...

JOEY BARTON SIGNS FOR BRAINTREE TOWN!!!

I'm in 2014 and just won promotion to League One with Braintree Town. Towards the end of the season I got a now 31 year old Joey Barton offered to me, I cheekily offered him a £1000 P/week contract, with a £300 appearance fee, £100 goal bonus and a £500 signing on fee.

Love him or hate him this a great capture for a small club and I was just wondering if anyone else has had any similar deals or better?

I usually start in BSP or League 2 and after a couple of years into the game you can pick up many different aging stars on a free. With Southend I got Drogba, Ibrahimovic, Barry, Toure, Alex (Chelsea), Gerrard, Torres, Kuyt and others. All of them were over 32, with physical attributes declining, but still performing really well. For example, I signed a 35 year old Drogba during the summer transfer window on a free and sold him to OL in the winter for £3 mil.

On a long term save I check transfer histories of most major clubs in Europe in June, just to see who was released. Funny thing is, most of the aging stars I sign do not show up in my Search -> Player, but when offered a contract 'manually' they tend to accept. Sometimes I have to wait for a few months, because their wage demands are too high - but a few months of unemployment softens them enough to accept two thirds or a half of what they originally wanted. Most of the players I mentioned accepted around £18.000 - £28.000 pw after being released from their original clubs.

Archived