Can someone please, TELL ME HOW TO WIN!

I am posting this in this forum because no one has any interest in answering my posts in the tactics and training section so I would ask the mods to please be kind and leave this post here, where it might actually be answered!

I need help with this game, I simply cannot string two wins together. When I started my first season (Zaragoza) I won my first 4 games, then lost to Athletico away and ever since I have not been able to get a decent form on the go. I am now in my second season, and from 7 games I have 5 points. I am losing to teams that are very much beneath me and should be winning. My ass man is telling me that my team are running scared of bigger teams and getting complacent over smaller teams, there is no medium! To be honest, when I play bigger teams, I feel my team plays well and it usually ends up with a draw. When I play teams of similar or lower stature, I am usually on the receiving end of a pumping.

I have tried everything - changed my tactics to be simpler and more stable, I have tried using the media to kick start my team into playing, I even got rid of my assistant manager and brought in a new one. It doesnt help that Zaragoza have absolutely NO money or the fact that Real and Barcelona have poached all but 4 of my coaches (i didnt have the money to persuade them to stick around) so I feel its only a matter of time before I get sacked, and to be honest, I think the problems will just stick around with whichever team I go to.

Somebody please help me! I will love you forever!

I am posting this in this forum because no one has any interest in answering my posts in the tactics and training section so I would ask the mods to please be kind and leave this post here, where it might actually be answered!

I need help with this game, I simply cannot string two wins together. When I started my first season (Zaragoza) I won my first 4 games, then lost to Athletico away and ever since I have not been able to get a decent form on the go. I am now in my second season, and from 7 games I have 5 points. I am losing to teams that are very much beneath me and should be winning. My ass man is telling me that my team are running scared of bigger teams and getting complacent over smaller teams, there is no medium! To be honest, when I play bigger teams, I feel my team plays well and it usually ends up with a draw. When I play teams of similar or lower stature, I am usually on the receiving end of a pumping.

I have tried everything - changed my tactics to be simpler and more stable, I have tried using the media to kick start my team into playing, I even got rid of my assistant manager and brought in a new one. It doesnt help that Zaragoza have absolutely NO money or the fact that Real and Barcelona have poached all but 4 of my coaches (i didnt have the money to persuade them to stick around) so I feel its only a matter of time before I get sacked, and to be honest, I think the problems will just stick around with whichever team I go to.

Somebody please help me! I will love you forever!

No need to be so drastic.

Just use Mr. Hough's tactic and try to get the players you need on a free transfer.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/248502-Mr-Hough-4-1-2-3-FM11.2-Tactic-and-Discussion

Score more goals than the opponent ;)

You need to look at whether your tactics are right for your side, are you playing a short, complex passing game with poor passers. Are you player long balls with weak forwards. Then you have to look into managing morale, press conferences and player condition. Once you get these blended well you will find the results come together.

I used to think that people exaggerated when they kept saying 'it's your tactics' all the time but trust me, 9 times out of ten they're right. Tactics are a massive part of winning matches in FM, even the slightest change or altering individual instructions can have a big effect on how well your team plays. Trouble is there doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule that suits all or every team so it really is a case of trail and error until you hit on something that starts getting results, even then you'll find that in a lot of matches you might have to adjust things a little to cope with each team you play against.

. My ass man is telling me that my team are running scared of bigger teams and getting complacent over smaller teams, there is no medium! To be honest, when I play bigger teams, I feel my team plays well and it usually ends up with a draw. When I play teams of similar or lower stature, I am usually on the receiving end of a pumping.

This tells me a couple of things...

1/ My ass man is telling me that my team are running scared of bigger teams and getting complacent over smaller teams Suggests you should alter your team talks to begin with. I'd avoid "you can win this" or "I expect a win" at the moment. Just stick to "wish them luck" for now. Its sort of middle of the road talk, neither good nor bad, most of the time. The reason I say this, as I suspect your teams morale is not the greatest.

At half time, I'd go with "encourage" if against a poor team or if doing well against a good team (i.e. Barca, Real) try then for "we can win this".

2/I feel my team plays well and it usually ends up with a draw. When I play teams of similar or lower stature, I am usually on the receiving end of a pumping This sentence says whilst your tactics are reasonably solid against an attacking team, i.e.- getting draws against good teams. Against lower teams who tend to play a counter attacking style from deep positions, your probably getting caught out on the counter. Try playing a slower, shorter game against them while keeping your tackling and closing down highish. Sometimes, I even play to a lower teams style, like adopting almost similar tactics. Counter attack, from deep while standing off in the tackle and closing down. Passing more directly and slightly quicker.

Ok, hope these help a little. At least give them a try and see if things improve a little.

No need to be so drastic.

Just use Mr. Hough's tactic and try to get the players you need on a free transfer.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/248502-Mr-Hough-4-1-2-3-FM11.2-Tactic-and-Discussion

Simply selecting a new tactic isnt the solution. I havent been able to sign even free transfers because the board told me to cut the wages, although that was impossible seen as the wage budged was considerably less than the budged used.

To everyone else thanks for your help, ill certainly give it all a go and see what I can come up with!

Simply selecting a new tactic isnt the solution. I havent been able to sign even free transfers because the board told me to cut the wages, although that was impossible seen as the wage budged was considerably less than the budged used.

To everyone else thanks for your help, ill certainly give it all a go and see what I can come up with!

let us know how you get on.

Have you played FM for a long time?

if not, my advice would be to start another save with an easier club to manage.

That way, you can get a feel for what makes a good player and what makes a good tactic.

If something aint working, you should have the cash to solve the problem and wage bill shouldnt be an issue.

However, having read your post, it is difficult to put a finger on your problem. Tactics may be it but I suspect the standard of player you have is not good enough.

iI you have a very good squad, sometimes bad tactics won't prevent them from winning the odd game here and there.

I think it is more important to hae a good squad than it is to have a good tactic.

You can look through the "Good team/player" forum for advice on players/teams from most leagues/levels but some people prefer to discover players without outside help, it's upto you.

To be fair, I'm not surprised people don't answer if you post PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO WIN!

I have found the T&T forum quite helpful in the past, I would start off by reading some threads for general advice, and maybe then explain exactly what tactics you are curently using and for advice on how to improve them.

I have used advice from there in the past, but the best way to improve is through trial and error. That way, at least when you do eventually start winning games you will get the satisfaction of doing it your way rather than with some downloaded tactics.

I struggled a hard time with ATM as well, after 7 seasons and finally winning the league the next season I got battered....resulted in a quit, I took over Spain from Italy, won the world cup without a single match before.......and guess what tactic....

So the rants on tactics really gets old, but sure it's a huge part of it.... I'd say Zaragoza is a big challenge, and tbh you will need a 5 season plan, winning straight away shouldn't even be an option with that team.

My ass man is telling me that my team are running scared of bigger teams and getting complacent over smaller teams

This is the main issue, and it seems to never end....it wont :p it should be easier though being either with the big teams, or just struggle entirely, being a middle team is by far the worst.

I'd like for SI to tone that part a notch down, not much just a tad.

EDIT: As mentioned earlier try some counter attacking to start out with, against poor teams, that helped me... and whatever you do, stay off the media....it wont do you any good.

definately tweak your tactics and adjust your teamtalks.

check your assman pre-match assessment - sometimes you can tell which players need to be prodded with a special team talk . never underestimate the power of your teams morale

and the tactics have to fit your team. dont just download some "wondertactic" and expect it to solve all your problems

also sometimes the pre-match meeting can give you some hints on how to set up against your opponent

Talk to your players through player interaction, praise them if they have perfomed well, criticise them if they have played badly. Ask them to increase there training workrate, this is a sure way to raise morale and get them having a good relationship with you. In time they will list you as there favourite personnel. I do at least once a month, using different ways of communicating with them. Try it they will soon want to play for you. Sometimes when asking a player to up there workload in training they may respond negatively by saying they dont agree with you. I tell them that I am the manager, they respect that and the morale still shoots up.

Once morale is high you should start to win a few as long as your tactics are right.

Archived