Hanging on to Young Players

One thing i have noticed when playing the game is that the computer managers arent placing good value on top quality homegrown players. I took charge at xerez signed a large crop of 15-16 year old supertalents and stuck them in my u19 to develop and gain home grown status. When i decided to leave and manage internationally i had 6 players in the starting 11 that were homegrown qualified for the Champions League. The computer manager proceeded to unload all of them and accepted offers on all of the players i had brought in as 16 yo. Within 3 years they went from winning La Ligia and the champions league to relegation fight. why on earth does the ai blow up the foundation of the team and trade all the young developing talent for 29 or 30 yr players?

I got to January 2011 in my game (managing in L7) and i checked the transfer screen at the end of Jan for the EPL. Just about every outstanding young player in the EPL was loaned out, usually to Championship clubs. All the villa kids, for example. Definitely needs better AI, that.

in my save, Man Utd regularly buys 3-4 potential superstars every transfer window. So, about 6-7 young talents every year. However, only 3-4 in about 5 seasons have made it to the first team. Others mostly rot in the reserves or youth until some mid-table european team comes knocking. But it's normally too late, and the youngsters never seem to realize their potential thereafter.

i think its definitely improved in fm 11.

on the other hand i dont think it should be as easy as it is for players to just come on buy all the best youth prospects around either. it should be harder to acquire these players (and not just through price) and pa scout reports should be less accurate or players should not reach full potential even with good training and game time to mimick real life "flops"

Archived