Needing help with defending

Hi guys, was wondering if anyone can offer me some help on defending. I am in League 1 with Colchester and I am on of the highest goal scoring teams in the league but I am consistently let down by my defence.

Can anyone offer me some advice on tactics, players, mentality and attributes to look for when:

Defending using a 4-4-2 formation

Closing down the opposition quickly (like in e-mail match previews)

Thanks for your help.

I would consider setting both your CM's as ball winning midfielders and if your DL & DR are set at wingbacks, change to fullback.

In league one i would suggest both your CM's were rated 13 for passing, tackling, creativity and teamwork.

• SI Staff

Also this might sound a bit 'obvious' but its amazing how many people don't do it .... but consider changing your mentality to 'defensive' when you gain a lead, yeah its 'boring' and you're less likely to set the world alight with high scorelines .... but its points that count.

PS - If you're pressing 'watch out' for one (or more) of your players tiring, if they tire too much they won't press effectively which can undo your entire gameplan if they're in a critical area of the pitch.

I think it's due to the fact that players in the lower tiers are being outclassed by more experienced players and are playing out their twilight years in lower tier teams. What does this mean? I noticed that when I was in the Championship with Cambridge, my team had all good PA ratings, but when I got promoted, all my PA ratings for my team dropped dramatically. With this in mind, I realised why my defense was letting so many goals but I was able to score many as well. It's just different class of players, when more experienced players go to lower tier teams they bring their experience with them and can help the team in attack, defense, possession etc. So what I recommend is finding an experienced defender in your case who has reached his potential, age about 28+. I hope this helps. :)

• SI Staff

In case people aren't aware the 'PA' shown is relative to your clubs perceived reputation at that point in time - that means that its 'normal' that your players might lose 'potential' if you get promoted because they're being judged against playing in a division higher than they were the year before.

(so basically I'm just echoing what DecksteaM says :D)

• 2 weeks later...

I have found 4-4-2 on FM a pipe dream. I would like somebody to create one that works if they haven't already. I simply will NOT have a " defensive " mentality Marc that goes against my Football view. I would rather DIE than be defensive.

Playing attacking football on the road is simply a fools errand.

I found that a 4-4-2 attacking can yield some nice results at home, but youll get smoked on the road.

I rarely set my tactics beyond balanced, even when I'm playing a vastly inferior club.

On defending a few key things, I find:

Set defenders pressing to off, otherwise they can be caught out of position.

If setting defending mentality, always complement this with counter attacking

If your 2 DC's man mark, this is fine against a 1 or 2 strikers, but ensure to change to zonal, if your up against a 433 formation - obvious if you think about it.

If defending a lead, set full backs forward runs to "no"

I also ensure I have 1 15+ heading defender and 1 15+ pace defender, and place them in direct opposition to strikers with the same attribute. i.e. make sure your best header defender is up against the oppositions best header striker. The opposite is true for setting up your strikers against your oppositions defence i.e. put your fast striker up against their slow defender.

Archived