How come promotion to the prem isnt worth as much on FM?

In real life everyone talks of promotion being worth £50 million to the teams that go up into the premmier league. I just got promoted with Crewe and the board decide to build up the stadium at a cost of £4 million now we are £4.5 million in debt.

It also says we will recieve £29 million in TV rights is this paid monthly?

If it is how come they give me £14 million to spend even though we are £4.5 million in debt will this not mean I will just put the club further in debt if I spend the money?

The only chance I have of staying up is to spend but will I get sacked for making the club so poor?

In real life everyone talks of promotion being worth £50 million to the teams that go up into the premmier league. I just got promoted with Crewe and the board decide to build up the stadium at a cost of £4 million now we are £4.5 million in debt.

If it is how come they give me £14 million to spend even though we are £4.5 million in debt will this not mean I will just put the club further in debt if I spend the money?

The only chance I have of staying up is to spend but will I get sacked for making the club so poor?

promotion this season for stoke (being a stoke fan we get the figures) is worth 35 million in tv money for next season, and with parachute payments totalling 25 million should we go down. This takes the total worth of promotion to 60 million, however, only 35 of this is available in the first year - which in turn only comes in periodically, not in one large sum.

So if you get relegated since FM uses this seasons parachute payments you get 14 million a season for 2 seasons.

For clubs heavily ridden in debt (aka derby) you see what happens promotion is a financial lifeline, but you have to sort of accept the fact you're going up and coming straight back down unless you really take a risk and run up massive amounts of debt hoping survival pays it off.

Yes, and thats a very real threat facing teams who go up. Do you sign 5 or 6 new players for a few million each on like 25k a week?

If they keep you up its all great, but if you go down you're then facing having players who are taking up a massive 7.2million in the next season in wages alone.

On the other hand, do you use that money to clear debts and then try to build for another promotion push next season with maybe 2 or 3 players on 15k a week - which is managable in the championship.

As Crewe I also expect Gresty Road has had little of an increase in capacity, which means you wont be able to exploit promotion fully with bumper crowds.

also it is not just the tv money and prize money that is extra. you are able to charge more for games and are likely to get higher attendances which means a much bigger revenue. as well as this you are also likely to have more money from merchandising from fans jumping on the band wagon.

If you've ever seen gresty road you know there is little room for expansion irl and I expect this has been reflected in the game; 8,000 is the grounds current capacity, so even if the club increases ticket prices with promotion, 8,000 every week doesn't amount to much compared to 20 - 30,000 other clubs get when going up.

So he has little hope of getting larger crowds to carry the burden of a large wage bill.

On the game the ground is 12500 capacity but on the editor can only be expanded to 14000 so we will not make money that way. I guess its going to be a long hard debt riddled season. I can see teh chairman selling off some of the best players very soon.

It's probable, but it'd be horrendous for you if you spent money, increased the clubs debt, went down and consequently went into receivership where clubs then come and pick the best off your players off for pittance. I took over Reading in one save after they had been relegated and there was a player I was chasing at Man Utd the season before who they turned down an 8 million bid for, the next season bolton turned up and offered 250k, receivers accepted.

I never thought receivership could be so bad until I hit that season with reading which I'm still in, I've lost the heart to continue after the entire team I started the first 5 games with is now gone.

You're facing a challenge but it's not insurmountable. Even though you may not attract huge crowds the augmented income from TV and merchandising is VERY significant for an EPL club.

A few observations:

- In FM terms, if your team is good enough to gain promotion, it should be good enough to remain in the Premiership. Do everything you can to have a good start to the season. Newly promoted teams must use the momentum from the old season to bank some easy points.

- In most cases 45-48 points should be sufficient.

- Concentrate on the league. It might be tempting wanting to make some extra cash through cup participation but you're likely only to excel in one competition. Given the financial rewards that should be the Premiership.

- Don't spend silly money on players. Sign free agents - you can find plenty of quality players that way.

- Loan a few talents or unsettled profiles. Chances are you don't even have to pay their wages.

- Whatever you do, don't exceed your wage budget.

- Don't suggest that facilities/stadium are to be improved unless you're dead certain it won't break your back.

- Get a financial feeder if you don't already got one.

- As a rule of thumb, don't offer contracts exceeding 2 years. The type of player you can attract now is likely to be of a poorer quality compared to that of an established EPL team. Furthermore, bottom teams tend to hugely over-pay their players - so you don't want a bunch of deadbeats on life-time contracts.

In FM, apart from the EPL, you won't find another league that offers the same financial incentives to smaller clubs. If you can't make the ends meet with what is given you, it's because you've grossly mismanaged your budgets. Just watch your outgoings and concentrate on winning some games. It's not rocket science. Good luck.

icon_smile.gif

Whilst Neyles makes some good points, I would advise really spending as little as possible, if you're already in debt its probably because Crewe couldn't afford being a championship team, I would honestly suggest giving it a stab with your championship team maybe signing a few young good players you can get your hands on to sell for a profit in the future to help you build then.

Of course its pretty hard to prepare yourself for relegation, but with you being Crewe I don't see your team being able to sustain themselves in the premiership unless you get a new board because even if you do stay up, you quickly soon come under pressure to improve and increase wages, and soon that 30 million TV revenue isn't enough to cover your wage budget after bonuses and such.

Give it a shot, just keep your finances in mind lol.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by santy001:

I would advise really spending as little as possible </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My point exactly icon_wink.gif

Loaning the right 2 or 3 players can make or break a season. And it won't cost much. Look abroad. You can always find a huge, unappreciated talent in one of the major clubs of Europe. Chances are that he'll love the opportunity of getting consistent first team football - so much so your club will become his favourite. I've seen it many times.

As for a change of board, I'm not sure that it's necessary. I've taken lowly Barnet into the Premiership and in 2024 the original board is still in operation. Granted, London does offer an exceptional fan base but the playing field is somewhat leveled as I always lose 40% of profits to dividends.

Remember that TV money, merchandising, and attendance aren't the only sources of income. Once you're in a position to sell off stars at insane prices, money will no longer be an issue. FM will let you do just that. Just buy low, sell high. Simple economics.

be a lot more willing to go for scrapping than style, that goalscoring talent that got you up wont do so well, be prepaered to go defensive and play counter attacking football.

btw i was wondering this and rather than starting a new thread it may as well go in here. does anyone know the mathematically safe points total for each english league, not you should be safe with x ammount. i hear the premiership is 40, but i read in nuts or something(facts at the bottom) that west ham went down with 42.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

does anyone know the mathematically safe points total for each english league, not you should be safe with x ammount. i hear the premiership is 40, but i read in nuts or something(facts at the bottom) that west ham went down with 42. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my previous post I claimed that 45-48 points was needed for survival. This estimate was too high. Having checked the history in my game 2007-2023, 44 points would be enough to save you in every single season, no problem. Usually even less will also be enough - even as little as 35-38 points.

Ive just been promoted twice with WBA and look likely to be on my way down both times, 1st season i took one point away from home (a 0-0 draw a Old Trafford), i had Europes leading goal scorer (Billy Sharp) and still went down because my defence was oldish and slow...so when i went back down i bought young talent which worked but now were back in the Prem there isnt enough older experienced players really to help out (my oldest player is 27) so a good mix would be better in my opinion, and the money meant when i went down i could build the team again, hopefully though if we do go down again i'll keep my job and keep trying lol

Okay so the season started and I bougt 4 players for £5.5 million which took the club £8 million in debt. I got 5 players on free transfers and 2 on loan.

I then sold Gabriel Torje for £6.75 million and from towards the end of August to the beginning of September the clubs balance has risen from £2 million in the red to £1 million plus. Despite the ground only holding 9318 for the next 3 weeks it will rise to 13,000 we are still making a bit of cash thanks to the tv money.

Hi mate

I think I can explain this based on this seasons break down for Hull.

IOt is reported that you get 30 million for going up in TV Revenue

!!million in parachute payments for 2 years if you go straight back down, this is 41m so far.

Add that with approx 5m -10 m in extra season tickets.#

And finally anywhere between 5m-10m in extra merchandise, so the only guaranteed figure is about 40 million, however the parachute payment should not really taken into account as you only get this if you get relegated.

Hope this helps. Also the TV revenue tends to be split over the season as opposed to being paid in 1 lump sum, which as you quite rightly say leaves you with anywhere between 10m-20m extra in funds, the merchandise and extra ticket sales is dependant on your ground and reputation as a club.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AcidBurn:

The only chance I have of staying up is to spend but will I get sacked for making the club so poor? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They've certainly had a good stab at it, the comments from the Dull fan were outlined earlier above, of course it increases each season so FM08's promotion is only worth as much as actually the teams to get promoted in the 06/07 season was worth.

It sounds like you have done pretty well, whilst most people will advise against purely physical stats from what I've seen, a striker with 18+ pace and just half decent finishing will be a big help in your early days.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by robmontie1965:

It is reported that you get 30 million for going up in TV Revenue

11million in parachute payments for 2 years if you go straight back down, this is 41m so far.

And finally anywhere between 5m-10m in extra merchandise, so the only guaranteed figure is about 40 million, however the parachute payment should not really taken into account as you only get this if you get relegated.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course it should count. It's a worst case scenario...

If promoted, worst case = 30 mil in season 1, relegated so 11 mil in season 2, 11 mil in season 3. Parachute over. Total = 52mil.

Of course, if not relegated, you "miss out" on 11 mil, but i'm sure the 30 mil a season TV money more than makes up for that... If you finish 17th every season after going up, you've received 90 mil after 3 years, and the gravy train hasn't even stopped in that scenario.

WE are currently making around 500-800k a month because of the small wage budget. I tihnk with my team having such a small ground I am best off trying to keep the total wages for the month alot less than the TV money that should see me make a profit.

Its a different issue but if we continue to fill the small ground every home game then the club may take a loan out to build a bigger stadium which will put us in debt again. Theres more to worry about being promoted to the prem than staying in the championship lol.

The team that finishes bottom of the league gets £30 million in TV money. They also get £22 million in parachute payments. For each place higher, you get an extra 500k. So if you survive 2 seasons, you make £66 million minimum.

Archived