BREAKING PSP NEW'S....

sorry, its not directly FMH related but Sony have today announced details of a 'new' PSP..

check out psp-vault.com for more details

More "PSP Slim" details: product code, IR removed, worldwide release, etc.

Following up on the announcements of the new PSP, I've run across a few extra details and pics related to the new system.

heres an extract from the site;

Following up on the announcements of the new PSP, I've run across a few extra details and pics related to the new system.

The product code is PSP-2000. So if you were looking for a reason to call this the "PSP2," this is probably all you'll get. As far as I can tell Sony is still referring to the new unit as simply the "PSP."

The infrared port has been removed. The specs of the new machine make no reference to an infrared port. Of course, it's not as though the infrared port on the current machine is actually used for anything (officially).

UMD-Music and UMD-Audio appear to be no longer supported. Of course both of these formats were doomed to fail from day 1, so no real loss.

The machine will also be released in Japan and Europe. Just in case you had any doubts. The Japanese press release from SCEI does not mention a price point for either region, but at least we know this is a worldwide launch of the new sytem.

Wondering what video out will do? Well, first of all, remember that since firmware 3.30 the PSP can play video at 720x480. Also remember that the UMD-Video standard allows videos as large as 720x480. Games may look a bit crappy on your TV, but at least videos will look fine.

The new PSP battery is 3.6V, 1200mAh, and weighs 30g. The previous PSP battery (the included one, not the extra life one) was 3.6V, 1800mAh, and weighed 45g. No telling what this new battery will do to enhance the actual life of the PSP, but given the lower milliamp hour rating yet supposed longer battery life, it's evident that this new system does a much better job of managing power. I presume the major contributor to this is the fact that game data can now be temporarily stored on your Memory Stick.

SCEI has some official pics of the system and its accessories here. As you can see, besides the system itself, the headphone/remote accessory has been redesigned. That page also has pics of the video output cables (which are not included): Composite, S-Video, D-Terminal, and Component versions will be available.

The new PSP can be recharged through its USB port. As a result, you can recharge your machine while transferring data to/from your PC or PS3. There are already cables that let you recharge your PSP via your computer's USB port, but even those must be plugged into the current PSP's AC adapter jack. A minor difference, to say the least.

More details as we get them...

sorry, its not directly FMH related but Sony have today announced details of a 'new' PSP..

check out psp-vault.com for more details

heres an extract from the site;

The product code is PSP-2000. So if you were looking for a reason to call this the "PSP2," this is probably all you'll get. As far as I can tell Sony is still referring to the new unit as simply the "PSP."

The infrared port has been removed. The specs of the new machine make no reference to an infrared port. Of course, it's not as though the infrared port on the current machine is actually used for anything (officially).

UMD-Music and UMD-Audio appear to be no longer supported. Of course both of these formats were doomed to fail from day 1, so no real loss.

The machine will also be released in Japan and Europe. Just in case you had any doubts. The Japanese press release from SCEI does not mention a price point for either region, but at least we know this is a worldwide launch of the new sytem.

Wondering what video out will do? Well, first of all, remember that since firmware 3.30 the PSP can play video at 720x480. Also remember that the UMD-Video standard allows videos as large as 720x480. Games may look a bit crappy on your TV, but at least videos will look fine.

The new PSP battery is 3.6V, 1200mAh, and weighs 30g. The previous PSP battery (the included one, not the extra life one) was 3.6V, 1800mAh, and weighed 45g. No telling what this new battery will do to enhance the actual life of the PSP, but given the lower milliamp hour rating yet supposed longer battery life, it's evident that this new system does a much better job of managing power. I presume the major contributor to this is the fact that game data can now be temporarily stored on your Memory Stick.

SCEI has some official pics of the system and its accessories here. As you can see, besides the system itself, the headphone/remote accessory has been redesigned. That page also has pics of the video output cables (which are not included): Composite, S-Video, D-Terminal, and Component versions will be available.

The new PSP can be recharged through its USB port. As a result, you can recharge your machine while transferring data to/from your PC or PS3. There are already cables that let you recharge your PSP via your computer's USB port, but even those must be plugged into the current PSP's AC adapter jack. A minor difference, to say the least.

More details as we get them...

also, the internal memory is supposed to be 63mb as opposed to the current 32mb which could potentially mean a much larger player database on FMH.

Although how SI would make a game that could run on both consoles (PSP and PSPslim) might be a puzzle...

I already charge my current PSP through the usb port on my mac. cool little gizmo from Ebay!

I hear the latest update unlocks the full power of the PSP. Will this enhance future versions of FMH?

Also, my PSP has a big crack on the screen, and a couple of dead pixels. I was going to try and get the screen replaced, but I think I'll wait and get the new version in September. Silver PSP sound cool :-)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by james iz ere:

in other words its a whole new console, and ill guess theyll make a game for each format </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It isn't a whole new console, it's merely a redesign of the original. The main reason for the extra RAM was to facilitate the TV-Out functionality on the newer model. I'm sure though that it can be used by developers. In all other important respects the consoles are identical.

Hence, there's no need for SI to bring out two different versions. The differences between an older model and a newer model are smaller than the differences between my PC and yours, and yet there's only one version of the game on a PC.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My question is, will people with the current psp have to upgrade to this crap for the newer games? I hope not! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Almost certainly not. Whatever PSP userbase exists at the moment isn't going to be cast aside by Sony for the sake of a tiny upgrade.

If it really was to be a genuine PSP2, it would have a lot more than just some more RAM going for it.

Archived