Unala, one wing tactic

2rfseis.jpgr09jsh.jpg

Asymmetric formations are getting more popular day by day in real world. There are a bunch of reasons for this. In order to have a strong midfield, managers prefer to give up on wingers or strikers. There are some superb wing backs who can cover all wing as well as some box-to-box midfielders who cover a huge area. Mostly, it comes down to the question of creating space.

In Football Manager's last two games, the inconsistency in striker performance is really getting on my nerves. There are some games on which you can bet your striker will never score. Having a lone striker upfront depends a lot on his form, as well as creating less domination in the opposition half. Having two strikers, especially trequartista-poacher play, brings a lot of striker partnership goals, but this provides a weaker midfield if simple 4-4-2 is applied. Having 3 striker creates a lot of chances and is effective for gameplay, but amazingly strikers miss quite a lot of chances in 3 striker play in the game. I don't have any other explanation than the match engine for this.

Therefore, I wanted to create a formation which will provide a lot of Clear Cut Chances and make sure that i will score once i am behind the opposition defense. I wish I could play with 12 players and bring up a 4-2-3-2 but that was impossible. Therefore, I decided to give up on one wing and have 5 man get into position from the other wing in offense. This is a tactic which will create a lot of chances for you and help you score a lot, but if you are looking for a defensively solid, midfield dominating tactic look somewhere else.

What happens in the game is that the goalkeeper starts the play by passing the ball to the strong wing's full back. This guy passes the ball to the winger. If he is an inverted winger, he passes it to MC who directly gives it to the AMC. Then, you get the "AMC and 2 SC vs. 2 DC" position which brings up positions. If you have a classic winger, he either passes the ball to the SC to create chances or crosses to the middle where 4 players get stuck in to score. On the weaker side, one DMC always sits back and the striker on the weaker wing defends the opposition fullback to create the balance.

I have taken this approach in the last two game salso as seen on Unorthodox 4-4-2.

Results: I have taken St. Pauli in the midseason. After a couple games the team get used to the tactic and quickly rise up from relegation zone with this 2nd half performance. In the 2nd season, I bought the right players and we got the championship.

Instructions: Team is taking a fluid attacking approach with pressing more. It is a slow tempo, normal width with slightly high defensive line.

GK: Goalkeeper Defend

DR/DL: Automatic fullbacks who rarely go up and the strong wing's full back is the beginning of every attack

DC: Cover/Stopper partnered Central Defenders

DMC: Anchor Man

MC: Supporting Central Midfield

AMR/AML: Supporting Winger

AMC: Attcking Midfielder a.k.a. #10

FC(on the strong side): Advanced Forward who can drible and create positions

FC(on the weak side): Defensive Forward who can win headers coming from long balls of the wing back and dribble into empty space

Tips:

- For tough away games and in the games that you lost control, move your DMC to the center and AMC to MC to create a better midfield.

- Always tweak the tactic to fit to your players. For instance, if you have a big&fast forward partnership, edit the forward instructions to fit to them. Or if you have a player with good long shots attribute, increase his long shots duty.

- Use left or right version according to your or your opponent's wingback.

- Although there is no focus passing assigned attacks usually come through the flank where your only winger plays. As there are many players to pass there, those attacks end in clear positions in front of goal. And one of the wingbacks own a flank. You need to have a fast player there.

- Team talks/Training are as important as your tactic.

- Pay attention to the match preparation. Put it on overload team blend until team gets used to the tactic. Then, focus on attacking set pieces.

Download tactic: left / right

Archived