Best small nation to manage in for a real 'LLM-style' experience.

Which small nation has given you your favourite 'LLM-style' experience?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which small nation has given you your favourite 'LLM-style' experience?

• Wales
    • Northern Ireland
    • Ireland
    • Bulgaria
    • Iceland
    • India
    • Hong Kong
    • Indonesia
    • Singapore
    • Other - please state

In which small nation have you had your best lower league management experience?

By 'lower league management', I should point out that I am talking about the general philosophy of playing with smaller clubs rather than the particular style of playing FM (see LLM forum for more details on the latter). What I am talking about here is taking control of small clubs with no money, who are often part-timers, and who are particularly obscure and unfashionable!

The reason for starting this thread is because I'm interested in starting a new challenge on FM. I've realised, over the years of playing the game, that my favourite experiences usually come when managing a small, Non-League, or part-time team. I love the challenge of managing in a league system where there is very little money, where most of the teams are part-time, and where it is a really tough challenge to progress.

I've added a poll to this thread for a bit of fun. I've included those countries which I understand to have the lowest reputations in the game. If your favourite option isn't shown then please vote for the 'other' option and state your choice.

Regardless of what you vote for, I'd be interested in hearing the reasons for your choice. If you have more than one choice, please vote for your favourite and then state your other preference. I'm also very interested to hear about your general experiences of managing in different small nations. What did you like best about them? What quirks about the league system or other cups involved did you like best? What was challenging about it and what was enjoyable etc.?

So, anyway, to the question: which small nation has given you your favourite 'LLM-style' experience on FM? Which has provided you with your most enjoyable or challenging save and why?

i am a bit biased as i'm currently bucking the OTF trend of managing in Northern Ireland but its a fun league. it does seem quite easy to jump from Division 2 to the prem as there really isn't much difference between the clubs and leagues in D1 and D2, and getting in a few key players will propel you above the rest but it is a real challenge.

i'm knockbreda and unless you arrange a lot of friendlies (over 100 in my second season) you will fall rapidly into debt

I've found that Ireland is very fun. There isn't a great step up between the First Division and the Premier Division, and once you reach the pinnacle of the IPD you can attract good players, or relatively good players, to improve the club. The league is a slightly better standard than Wales or Northern Ireland but still has only 3 professional teams, so I think it has the fun of managing in a league like Wales or Northern Ireland but when you win it it allows you to move on from that win and start challenging in Europe more quickly. Also, the attendances are much better than in Wales or Northern Ireland - average attendance in the IPD is probably around 2000 or so, with the highest going up to 8000. The league also runs March to December, and I for one had never managed in a league like that before, so it was an interesting change.

Definitely tempted by Northern Ireland or Ireland from the comments so far. Will have to load up a couple of games and a take a look at these two leagues. :thup:

I've never played in Northern Ireland before. I have heard that it's pretty fun, with lots of mad cup runs to go on and a tough challenge to work your way up the league system.

I've been to Ireland once as part of a career game and, I have to say, I did enjoy myself there at the time, although I was only playing in the second division. This was on FM08 and I had a really awesome regen who was scoring tons of goals for me (I was playing with Derry City). Definitely tempted to try playing there again for a long-term save.

Thanks for the comments so far guys. Keep them coming! :D

Definitely tempted by Northern Ireland or Ireland from the comments so far. Will have to load up a couple of games and a take a look at these two leagues. :thup:

I've never played in Northern Ireland before. I've been to Ireland once as part of a career game and, I have to say, I did enjoy myself there at the time, although I was only playing in the second division there. This was on FM08 and I had a really awesome regen who was scoring tons of goals for me (I was playing with Derry City). Definitely tempted to try playing there again long-term.

Thanks for the comments so far guys. Keep them coming! :D

I had an enjoyable Northern Irish save in FM08 or maybe FM09 anyway personally I always find South American/Asian leagues less enjoyable, not as familiar with the teams and I seem to have trouble with players names especially in Asia.

For that reason I would say a European league and outside the UK I would recommend any of the Scandinavian leagues, I went with Sweden last year.

I had an enjoyable Northern Irish save in FM08 or maybe FM09 anyway personally I always find South American/Asian leagues less enjoyable, not as familiar with the teams and I seem to have trouble with players names especially in Asia.

I know exactly what you mean there Cougar. I'm pretty much the same. I'm always thinking about trying some new leagues outside Europe but I struggle to get into it for similar reasons. The only exception has been India on previous versions, which I had a lot of fun with, particularly on FM08. India is now fully professional though and so slightly less fun for me, with the other major drawback being that it has just one league in FM and I always prefer to play with at least two levels. I always struggle to get to Wales long-term because of the one level thing too.

For that reason I would say a European league and outside the UK I would recommend any of the Scandinavian leagues, I went with Sweden last year.

I was set on starting a save in Sweden recently but it put me off that all of the lowest teams are already full-time. I don't know why but I love at least starting off as a part-time team with semi-pro players.

I voted Northern Ireland, not played that much in the country but in my experience in the third tier I found it really difficult, what made it a very interesting league for me was the transfer policy, from July to March the window is open, and even without money you can snipe some great players on free transfers, whenever. If your squad isn't performing you can just sign more players too, obviously the more you sign the worse but that is the reason I voted tbh.

English lower leagues (blue sq circuit) would have got the "other" option but I felt northern ireland pipped it as it was a first option.

... as I can't find "English Lower Leagues" option (7th and 8th, of course...), I'd choose Finland, just remember a wonderful experience managing TP 47 a couple of years ago... was so addicted that in summer 2009, as I was travelling by car from Italy to Nordkapp, went to "visit" Tornio stadium to see where my "virtual heroes" played... :D

Archived