What funny things do you do in your saves?

It can be anything. As an example, I have noticed that i will not sign a player if he has a name that i don't like, as i think it'd annoy me if i saw it on the teamsheet. I have decided not to sign Mertesacker for this very reason before, and also passed on Alex Smithies, just because i think they had silly surnames ;)

Also, i have a strong preference against signing Scottish players, even though some of them are pretty good. There is no logical reason for this, as i am indifferent to Scotland as a nation in general. Also, i will rarely sign South American players, no idea why, just a natural aversion to them.

It can be anything. As an example, I have noticed that i will not sign a player if he has a name that i don't like, as i think it'd annoy me if i saw it on the teamsheet. I have decided not to sign Mertesacker for this very reason before, and also passed on Alex Smithies, just because i think they had silly surnames ;)

Also, i have a strong preference against signing Scottish players, even though some of them are pretty good. There is no logical reason for this, as i am indifferent to Scotland as a nation in general. Also, i will rarely sign South American players, no idea why, just a natural aversion to them.

Hahaha.... I'm the same as you mate, I won't sign someone, no matter how good he is if I don't like his name. (I thought it was just me that was daft).

Maybe use a nickname?

I always attend cup replays of the sides I get drawn against - even though I normally just minimize the game after 10 mins because I get bored.

I don't like signing players with difficult to pronounce names, because I like to do my own commentary and can't if I can't say their name. Sometimes I will sign them, then give them a nickname.

Also, I will sign players if they have an amusing name.

I never sign players Ive had on previous saves unless I really have to. I also check on how teams Ive managed in other saves and slag the manager off for signing rubbish underperforming etc etc.

I do this especially the first one. It feels like cheating to me when I already know what the player is like :p

I like to let my favorite players and managers beat my team, just because I'm their fan. Recently I let Madrid beat me in the Champions League final with 10 men because I didn't want to rob Mourinho of his glory.

if you are serious than this is the most ridiculous thing i have ever read!

Being a fan or Mourinho i mean..... :p

If i see a team managed by Harry Redknapp doing well - I usually wait before a big game and do my upmost to unsettle him and his players. His spurs team were in the final of the Europa Cup, thought i'd stir it up, declare interest in a few of his key players, state that it must be difficult for him to find a way for his talented squad to succeed. Then praise the opposition manager, give him a confidence boost before the game.

Basically harrass Redkanpp and make his life as difficult as i possibly can.

If a player of mine is leaving on a free, I always try to ruin them.

"OK, you cna leave on a free, buy you are being retrained from a winger to sweeper, you are training with the goalkeepers, and you are individually focusing on your long throws.

there must be dozens of rory delaps on your save!

If i see a team managed by Harry Redknapp doing well - I usually wait before a big game and do my upmost to unsettle him and his players. His spurs team were in the final of the Europa Cup, thought i'd stir it up, declare interest in a few of his key players, state that it must be difficult for him to find a way for his talented squad to succeed. Then praise the opposition manager, give him a confidence boost before the game.

Basically harrass Redkanpp and make his life as difficult as i possibly can.

Absolutely love it!

Currently managing both a club team (Man U) and England. In international games, mainly friendlies, I like to play high profile players from my main rivals when they are already physically shattered or have just come back from an injury to try and cripple them! I just played Ashley Cole at 58% physical condition when he's just returned from a 3 month lay off - he's crippled for a further 2 months now. Shame - I'm due to play Chelsea next week.

I never save games with the goal to quit without saving and restart if my team loses an important match.

However, I once won a very important match against ManU, but the game crashed. After restarting, luckily, the game was only 1 match away from that same match against ManU.

So I replayed the match, unintentionally, and lost 5-0. On top of that, I lost my best midfielder for 3 matches with a red card and lost a striker to an injury for a month.

Then I made the dicision to quit without saving in order to at least not lose my players. I didn't care too much about losing.

But EVERY TIME I restarted after that, and I must have restarted at least 6 or 7 times, the losses were worse than 5-0 and I got more cards and injuries.

So at one point I just gave up and took a 4-1 loss with only 2 injuries.

I vowed never to make that mistake again. Sure, the game crashes from time to time, but apparently that's the football goddess' wish. Get on with life...

;)

E.

Currently managing both a club team (Man U) and England. In international games, mainly friendlies, I like to play high profile players from my main rivals when they are already physically shattered or have just come back from an injury to try and cripple them! I just played Ashley Cole at 58% physical condition when he's just returned from a 3 month lay off - he's crippled for a further 2 months now. Shame - I'm due to play Chelsea next week.

I once managed Arsenal and England, and I would do the same for friendlies to try and get these players injured, but in competitive games I would use England as a sort of feeder club for my Arsenal youngsters to give them some good match practice. Some of them turned out pretty well for England and eventually became good enough for my Arsenal first team.

I hate signing South American players. Not sure why, I just feel like.. cheating almost, when playing some amazing 19 year old Brazilian.

I always try and sign British youngsters and players when possible, although that's probably quite normal (I always play in the English leagues).

If I have a good English player, but a better foreign player, I will always play the English player. For instance, FM10, I'm currently Leeds in 2020. I had signed Akinfeev in 2014 and he was one of, if not THE, best 'keeper in the world from this time. In 2020 he still is. However I had a good young English 'keeper called Reeves. By the time he was 21 he was my #2 getting the odd appearance here and there, and by the time he was 22 he was England standard. He was a quality 'keeper, but Akinfeev was World Class. However I dropped Akinfeev and used Reeves at every opportunity purely because he was English. In 2020 Akinfeev, at 34, STILL hasn't deteriorated, and Reeves, now 25, at his peak, is still not on his level, but Akinfeev has been #2 for about 3 seasons now. I have tried selling him (even offering at £0!) but no-one wants.

When I play England (NT), Leeds (my team) or Swindon (local side), and if I'm not Leeds, I will always be tempted to throw the game. In FM10 I got Uruguay to the 2018 WC Final (was bizarre - we'd been struggling for ages, right up to and including the first WC game, losing 3-0 to France after scraping through the Qualies in 4th. But then something clicked and we won every game, beating Spain and Italy along the way), and somehow Pearce had taken England to their first WC Final since 66' (I think?). I was soooo tempted to throw the game, but I played the same tactics and my best team and we won 3-1 AET. When we scored I didn't know whether to celebrate (y'know, fist pump, as you do in FM. Just me?) and likewise when England equalised.

If I'm playing against one of my former players, I will ALWAYS set all possible OI on him, even if he's a 'keeper or quite pap. Even when I'm the Champions of Europe, playing Guiseley, and one of my old youth players is now playing for them. He still scored, although we won 12-1.

Archived