Who else does this?

I'm talking about fully immersing yourself into the culture of the country in which you are managing. I always load a few leagues despite my laptop's desire to be incredibly slow in running. But it has always struck me as odd how the game speaks to you in English even though you are in a foreign country, and with people playing in the middle of nowhere in cases I think that it is only fair for me to get a taste of the whole of that country.

So what I have done is I have downloaded the Strawberry demo from the site and copied over the language .ltc files. Then when I change jobs and move to another country I go into my preferences and change the language again. Google Translate gets a good workout in all of the languages aside from Spanish and Italian, and as the game goes on I start to pick it up, so it really adds to the relative experience of low-level football management in a foreign country for me. I also take a note of all of the foreign programmes on my telly based in that country and try my best to record them, whether they are in English or not. This works especially well when managing in India as they have some quite entertaining TV shows which cancel out the lack of an Indian language .ltc file in my game. Then I look at all of the leagues which I have loaded and try and select one foodstuff per country which is representative of cuisine there, and I eat it. I've spent many a night eating Leipäjuusto and Rönttönen whilst musing over the relative fortunes of Tampere United and FC Haka. Last year I even celebrated some of the nation specific holidays. Much to the bemusement of my cat and the rest of my family I have to say.

This just helps to get me involved in the game as sometimes when playing solely in English my mind drifts and I fall away from a save, that hasn't happened to me since I've started to do this. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried anything like this in the past, as I can't be the only person to have a style of playing like this. Also, if anyone has any tips for deepening the experience then I'm all ears. :)

I think FM has seriously taken over your life! In all seriousness though it's good that your also using it as an education, sounds like a lot of hard work to me though!

Yep. That's the same reason why I rarely play regularly, it takes too much time to prepare the food and the TV. However my Spanish and Italian have improved no end following long stins in those countries, and I'm even starting to pick up a bit of Polish!

In all seriousness it hasn't quite taken over my life just yet, but if I didn't have a job and wasn't still in education then I'd probably just play it all the time.

I think the idea of changing the language if you move country is sorta cool, ive always wondered what the point of the question 'youve taken this job without being able to speak the leanguage, is this a problem?' yet problems never arise as the whole game is in english

The whole "absorbing the culture" thing is a bit too extreme, but playing FM in the local language is interesting... I could give it a try, although considering my managing habits it wouldn't be much of a challenge ;)

And as long as I keep it Western/Northern European [bar Finland...] I wouldn't need Google tranlator anyway...

It would be interesting if you took over a club in Spain that the news reports at least in Spanish. And given time spent in the country the news reports gently return to English.

But I'm guessing most managers have a translator appointed by the club or pick up the language quite quickly. And most pimportantly there are plenty of websites and newspapers abroad that are in English. So all in all it's a bit pointless. But I'll still take some pata bravas!!! Can't wait to start managing in Australia - get my Fosters on!

Then I look at all of the leagues which I have loaded and try and select one foodstuff per country which is representative of cuisine there, and I eat it. I've spent many a night eating Leipäjuusto and Rönttönen whilst musing over the relative fortunes of Tampere United and FC Haka.

I do this but with alcohol.

Some good red wine and/or brandy while managing in France.

Bottles of Peroni/Nastro Azzurro and Frascati or Chianti while managing in Italy.

Bottles of single malt whisky while managing in Scotland.

English beers and real ales while managing in England.

FM plus beer/wine/brandy/whisky = heaven! :cool:

It would be interesting if you took over a club in Spain that the news reports at least in Spanish. And given time spent in the country the news reports gently return to English.

But I'm guessing most managers have a translator appointed by the club or pick up the language quite quickly. And most pimportantly there are plenty of websites and newspapers abroad that are in English. So all in all it's a bit pointless. But I'll still take some pata bravas!!! Can't wait to start managing in Australia - get my Fosters on!

I've just taken over at Alcorcon, a team predicted to finish 20th in the Spanish second division. I can't imagine them having a translator appointed. Although they are in the political area which encompasses Madrid, so there would in real life have many English language speakers in that area.

And you'd be suprised at how quickly you pick up a language when forced to by the game. Although being able to hold down a conversation about whether or not there is any real need to sign such and such doesn't really inspire the Spaniards when you go over there.

@crouchaldinho: That's the other perk of this strategy, I can effectively buy in loads of different types of alcohol from all over the country where I'm managing and then just get tipsy and watch my decision making fall off of a cliff...

I do this but with alcohol.

Some good red wine and/or brandy while managing in France.

Bottles of Peroni/Nastro Azzurro and Frascati or Chianti while managing in Italy.

Bottles of single malt whisky while managing in Scotland.

English beers and real ales while managing in England.

FM plus beer/wine/brandy/whisky = heaven! :cool:

I do this, but with coffee instead of alcohol when on an all-night session.

I like the idea of the language thing, I am learning Italian right now so am considering starting a game in Italy and changing the language.

I'm talking about fully immersing yourself into the culture of the country in which you are managing. I always load a few leagues despite my laptop's desire to be incredibly slow in running. But it has always struck me as odd how the game speaks to you in English even though you are in a foreign country, and with people playing in the middle of nowhere in cases I think that it is only fair for me to get a taste of the whole of that country.

So what I have done is I have downloaded the Strawberry demo from the site and copied over the language .ltc files. Then when I change jobs and move to another country I go into my preferences and change the language again. Google Translate gets a good workout in all of the languages aside from Spanish and Italian, and as the game goes on I start to pick it up, so it really adds to the relative experience of low-level football management in a foreign country for me. I also take a note of all of the foreign programmes on my telly based in that country and try my best to record them, whether they are in English or not. This works especially well when managing in India as they have some quite entertaining TV shows which cancel out the lack of an Indian language .ltc file in my game. Then I look at all of the leagues which I have loaded and try and select one foodstuff per country which is representative of cuisine there, and I eat it. I've spent many a night eating Leipäjuusto and Rönttönen whilst musing over the relative fortunes of Tampere United and FC Haka. Last year I even celebrated some of the nation specific holidays. Much to the bemusement of my cat and the rest of my family I have to say.

This just helps to get me involved in the game as sometimes when playing solely in English my mind drifts and I fall away from a save, that hasn't happened to me since I've started to do this. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried anything like this in the past, as I can't be the only person to have a style of playing like this. Also, if anyone has any tips for deepening the experience then I'm all ears. :)

You are enjoying the game in peculiar way, nice for you !

BTW, I always play UK games in english language and I am definitely not a fish & chips son :)

You are enjoying the game in peculiar way, nice for you !

BTW, I always play UK games in english language and I am definitely not a fish & chips son :)

What's wrong with fish and chips? Delicious. :p

There is more to English cuisine than just fish and chips you know. How about some roast beef? Yorkshire pudding? Don't forget the gravy. ;)

Archived