Tomas Rosicky? Surely not!

Have a look at this screen from my current game with Southampton.

rosickyn.jpg

How unrealistic is that then? Rosicky managing Chelsea? Signed for Arsenal in 2006, retired at Arsenal in 2014 and straight away got the offer from Chelsea.

There seems to be quite a lot of unrealistic managers in FM2011. Unrealistic being former players getting jobs at top clubs as soon as they retire.

Funnily enough, I am in a Southampton save at the moment, and while he hasn't taken a job yet, Rosicky has just retired in my game at the age of 32. I thought that was a bit too soon, but hey, maybe he got fed up with being injured every other week!

Leonardo spent 13 years at AC Milan as a player, sporting director and manager and now is managing Inter IRL. Not that unrealistic mate.

The difference there is that Leonardo worked for Milan for SIX years after retiring before getting offered the job as manager. It's fair to say that he had "slightly" more experience than Rosicky in my game. As far as love for one club goes, being a Villa fan I know exactly that there is no such thing these days. It's all about the money(read City).

Funnily enough, I am in a Southampton save at the moment, and while he hasn't taken a job yet, Rosicky has just retired in my game at the age of 32. I thought that was a bit too soon, but hey, maybe he got fed up with being injured every other week!

Sounds like you might get sacked soon then, Rosicky is rumoured to be taking over.

The difference there is that Leonardo worked for Milan for SIX years after retiring before getting offered the job as manager. It's fair to say that he had "slightly" more experience than Rosicky in my game. As far as love for one club goes, being a Villa fan I know exactly that there is no such thing these days. It's all about the money(read City).

He was manager of Milan for only 1 season, and he didn't have any managerial experience before he took the job at Milan.

He was manager of Milan for only 1 season, and he didn't have any managerial experience before he took the job at Milan.

True, but he had after all, like you said been at Milan for 13 years. Do you think he would have been offered the job at Inter before managing at Milan?

True, but he had after all, like you said been at Milan for 13 years. Do you think he would have been offered the job at Inter before managing at Milan?

But still he had no managerial experience whatsoever. He was a player before being scout/sporting director. If Inter wouldn't have Mourinho and the job was available, who knows, maybe he could have taken over at Inter.

But still he had no managerial experience whatsoever. He was a player before being scout/sporting director. If Inter wouldn't have Mourinho and the job was available, who knows, maybe he could have taken over at Inter.

This is my final say in this; I still think six years of employment as a member of the backroom staff plus a rather long playing career and cult status at a club greatly increases your chances of becoming a manager at that club. But if you think that its more realistic to get the offer of working as a manager at the arch rivals, like Rosicky in my FM game, well then I guess we're just gonna have to disagree.

This is my final say in this; I still think six years of employment as a member of the backroom staff plus a rather long playing career and cult status at a club greatly increases your chances of becoming a manager at that club. But if you think that its more realistic to get the offer of working as a manager at the arch rivals, like Rosicky in my FM game, well then I guess we're just gonna have to disagree.

It happens IRL. It happens in FM. Simple as that.

Michael Owen got his first job in management at Barcelona on my game. It's ridiculous. I am guessing the reputation as a player carries over into manager reputation instead of it dropping as I would have thought it should. Just because they were a higher profile player doesn't mean they should be getting top rank jobs instantly.

This sort of thing in the game doesnt bother me, it is just a game after all, but you are going to have to find some proof to back up that statement!

Carlo Ancelotti was a Milan player for 5 years then became manager of Reggiana, Parma, Juventus and then Milan.

Giovanni Trapatoni was a Milan player for 12 years. Managed Milan for 2 years, then moved immediately to Juventus and then managed Inter.

Fabio Capello has played for Roma, Milan and Juventus and then has managed all three of them.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of other examples, but they spring to my mind at the moment.

Carlo Ancelotti was a Milan player for 5 years then became manager of Reggiana, Parma, Juventus and then Milan.

Giovanni Trapatoni was a Milan player for 12 years. Managed Milan for 2 years, then moved immediately to Juventus and then managed Inter.

Fabio Capello has played for Roma, Milan and Juventus and then has managed all three of them.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of other examples, but they spring to my mind at the moment.

Yes - but to my knowledge none of these people moved straight to a HUGE rival club as a manager direct from playing

Realism is subjective.

Some people complain that they can't get the Brazil job, yet their nationality isn't Brazilian.

*shrugs*

Sure, some things happen down the line in the game that make me raise an eyebrow, but then I remember...

Hey, I'm managing AFC Telford, climbing up the leagues on the way to the Premier League...

...how realistic is that? ;)

Realism is subjective.

Some people complain that they can't get the Brazil job, yet their nationality isn't Brazilian.

*shrugs*

Sure, some things happen down the line in the game that make me raise an eyebrow, but then I remember...

Hey, I'm managing AFC Telford, climbing up the leagues on the way to the Premier League...

...how realistic is that? ;)

Lol. Fair enough mate!

Everton manager on my save – but at least he had a couple of coaching jobs before that. I have no problem with players becoming managers, but I do find it silly for players to become managers of clubs (top clubs even!) pretty much the very second they retire.

Yes - but to my knowledge none of these people moved straight to a HUGE rival club as a manager direct from playing

you would hardly say Arsenal and Chelsea are HUGE rivals, yes they have a rivalry due to them both being in London but nothing like Man U/Liverpool or some of the more fierce derbies.

I could understand if people were questioning a player becoming a manager of a bigger rivalry but this one seem quite tame, especially when you consider Leonardo moving to Inter or Alex Mcleish becoming Gers manager, both much much bigger rivalry lines to cross.

It's a game, I think it's pretty cool when things like that happen

It may be an idea (it may already be in the game) that if a players likes a club ie in this case Rosicky & Arsenal he automatically dislikes the club's rivals making it less likely he manage them immediatly after retiring

Then again, maybe Rosicky had a rough last few years at Arsenal & disliked them making it likely for him to manage a rival :D

Zola had experience with Italy's youth set up, Speed has had some coaching experience plus Sheff U manager. Wise was player manager with no revious experience, but Millwall are hardly great. Although fair play he did get them to the league cup final

iirc ruud gullit's first role was player manager at chelsea, same with vialli. it happens.

the english media expected tony adams to be a brilliant manager and have lots of success but it hasn't happened.

when Ally McCoist was a player at rangers not a lot of people would have expected him to make a career in coaching/management and he looks set to be the next rangers manager when walter smith quits in the summer.

there will always be strange appointments. the game must have a bit of random chaos thrown in otherwise everybody would be getting the exact same results. when something like this happens on a large scale then there is probably an underlying issue but when it is on such a small scale its just one of these things.

shock appointments do happen - avram grant being chelsea manager one example

Archived