I've been playing the new football manager handheld for a few days now and im playing as Northampton. After winning league two I have spent two seasons in League One having heavily invested in the squad. My problem is that during my first season in league one I was 8 points clear at the top by Chirstmas. However the rest of the season consited of either heavy defeats (5-0, 6-0, even 7-1) or draws and the odd win. I changed my tactics from my trusty 451 that i'd been using but still no luck. I am now in season two in league one and the same is still happening even after stregnthening my squad futher in the summer. Even the coach reports for all my players are like 5-6 stars plus for each player and most of the heavy defeats are in games that I am predicted to win easily and score several goals against a weak and out of form team. Any help?

• SI Staff

Do you have a young side? - thats the most common cause of hot/cold spells for a side, if you rely upon young talented players heavily then sometimes they might lose confidence and struggle until they hit form and recover their faith in themselves.

One thing you can do to mitgiate against this is to go into training and raise the 'motivational' side of training slightly to encourage self-belief from your players, if you do this consider dropping the other training areas slightly or just do it for a short period of time (otherwise players might get upset at the long training periods they're undertaking).

Finally - can you post your full tactical setup (including mentalities and roles) here and I'll happily take a look over it ..

Archived