How to make managing at top level more challenging?

Ok, so i know there are lot's of 'this game is too easy' threads, but i'd like to find a way of making the game more challenging when managing a decent team.

I don't want to hear rubbish like 'holiday five seasons/use fake players/manage a BSN team etc', because we should be able to play as the team we support and still be challenged.

My problem is that, managing Spurs, who are a top team in Football manager, probably on the second tier of teams in terms of stats and so on, is not challenging. A player should be able to challenge for the title using this team, ok, i have no isse with that, but i can go through games on auto pilot and win them, literally using default for everything etc. Crouch is apparently a world class striker btw, who has the pace to beat the last defender and the technique to lob the keeper for 30yards. i never knew he could do that.

Anyway, i have done a few things in the editor, such as putting in Defoe and Dawsons injuries, and i have decreased the ability of certain players who i think are overrated(pavlyuchenko), as examples. I attribute mask-although this is essentially a useless feature in my opinion, use my own tactics(although i don't have to really do anything), and so on, but still the opposition are just not dangerous enough. I never feel that i am in threat from opposition attacks.

Are there any ways to make it more challenging at the top, because as we can see in real life, unless you are Real/Barca, wins don't come so easily ;)

I can't not play as Man Utd (If I dont play as them I spend 3/4 of my time looking what they are doing lol ). So ever since FM09 I impose strict transfer regulations on my team... I don't sign anyone over the age of 24 (save goalkeepers) and any non-first team player over the age of 30 is shipped out, I like keeping my team full of fresh young players wanting to win lots every year.

You can take it even further buy only signing English players, or only under-18s which you train yourself.

Archived