This game is becoming harder and harder to take seriously

So I'm Birmingham and involved in the closest race for the EPL I've ever seen or been involved in which finished with the top three teams on 81 points and 4th place on 80 points. Arsenal and Tottenham were both involved but there managers decided to leave with around 8 games to go to take over Sevilla and Man city who finished 14th and 7th. Why?

I didn't win the league but I did finish second and it didn't feel like I'd achieved anything because of this ridiculous problem, and as we all know this isn't the only problem with the game but I've tried to turn a blind eye but it's just one thing after another.

I don't recall this problem on any other versions and this game is becoming harder and harder to take seriously or call a 'football manager sim'. SI have a whole lot of work to do in there final patch to sort this mess out and I believe the game is just way too unfinished to cram all the work and fixes into one patch without causing other problems. Fingers crossed, but I wont be holding my breath.

SI, stop adding your pointless marketing gimmicks for the sake of selling a few more copies and trying to say you're releasing a new game and not an add on, all you're doing is making more work for yourselves whilst losing the respect of a fair few people. You're doing more harm than good, to yourselves and to the game.

Oh right - so its a bit like the previous years champsions league semi finallist being relegated (Leeds)

Or last years champions struggling so bad they are only 2 points above bolton (chelsea)

If you run the game 1000+ times, effectively replicating the same season 1000 times you will find all manner of weird events in 1 of those saves. Well whats happening is that the game is being run millions of times by million of users - its bound to have 1 save throw up a world beating birmingham side. If EVERYONE had birmingham winning the league then there would be an issue, but they dont.

Personally, I want to complain because in the second season Crystal Palace were promoted - and seriously - how realistic is that :)

You don't understand leaving arsenal or spurs to join city ? Loads of cash, Loads of potential. I don't get what you think is unrealistic. I am 3 seasons into my Lyon save and I can honestly say I have not had any problems since i Patched up.

They were in the closest title race in the history of the EPL and they decide to leave with about 8 games to go. Maybe I didn't make that clear in my first post.

How on earth can people begin to say this is realistic. Staggering. They are in a title race ffs. A manager would not up and leave with a few games to go, sorry, make that 2 managers and make that Arsene Wenger who then goes to join Sevilla who are out of every competition and not in Europe next season and the same goes for Man city. Not to mention the fact this happens within 2 days of each other.

Idon't like to use the word fanboi but **** me, all arguments here have absolutely no substance what so ever and people are just jumping to the defence of the game blindly and without really even reading my post.

You don't understand leaving arsenal or spurs to join city ? Loads of cash, Loads of potential. I don't get what you think is unrealistic. I am 3 seasons into my Lyon save and I can honestly say I have not had any problems since i Patched up.

You conveniently left out half of my post.

Oh right - so its a bit like the previous years champsions league semi finallist being relegated (Leeds)

Or last years champions struggling so bad they are only 2 points above bolton (chelsea)

What does this have to do with two managers in a title race for the EPL leaving to join clubs who are not in Europe, in this season or the next and not in any title races?

What does this have to do with two managers in a title race for the EPL leaving to join clubs who are not in Europe, in this season or the next and not in any title races?

It doesnt - I was using that as referance for unlikely events like, birmingham, being near the top of the EPL.

Managers leave all the time for all sorts of reasons - sven going to LEICESTER and NOTTS COUNTY for example - go back 5 versions of FM and if that happened all mananer of people would be up in arms.

As I said - if everyones game came out the same with the top 4 clubs winning in every version of everyones game, then it wouldnt be realistic - if they DIDNT win in ANYONES game then it would be a bug. I absolutely garantee if you holiday a game through the same point then the same things will not happen.

I agree it seems daft to change that close to the end and in reality appointing clubs would likely wait inless its for a manager who is unemployed.

Raise this as a bug in the bugs forum with saved games before they left

A manager in the title race with 8 games to go would not leave. Can an AI manager leave his current job for another one at the end of the season like we can, I have delayed offer twice on FM10 to finish off the current season and then left.

You can't make an assumption without more facts. Who were the managers that left? what was the clubs financial position when they left? You need far more details before concluding that the game has a problem.

Personally I see nothing wrong here. IRL Atalanta once sacked their manager when they were 1st in Serie A just because the Chairman didn't like him. Real Madrid dismissed Del Bosque after winning leagues and Champions League titles, so realistically it happens all the time.

The Man City move could clearly be financially motivated, the Sevilla one could be a personal decision depending on who was the Manager. If its Wenger, it seems to be hardcoded for him to go Sevilla, don't know who researched this but clearly a Sevilla fan.

Still the point is there appears little wrong, football is not a sense giving sport or to use its modern terminology, business.

You can't make an assumption without more facts. Who were the managers that left? what was the clubs financial position when they left? You need far more details before concluding that the game has a problem.

Personally I see nothing wrong here. IRL Atalanta once sacked their manager when they were 1st in Serie A just because the Chairman didn't like him. Real Madrid dismissed Del Bosque after winning leagues and Champions League titles, so realistically it happens all the time.

The Man City move could clearly be financially motivated, the Sevilla one could be a personal decision depending on who was the Manager. If its Wenger, it seems to be hardcoded for him to go Sevilla, don't know who researched this but clearly a Sevilla fan.

Still the point is there appears little wrong, football is not a sense giving sport or to use its modern terminology, business.

Don't assume that I assume.

I haven't assumed anything. I know all the facts I need to know about the clubs in the first season. One was Arsenal with Wenger in charge about to win the EPL, and the other was Tottenham with Harry in charge about to win the EPL for the first time in the clubs history. None of these clubs are struggling financially because it is the first season.

Your comparison of the Atlanta manager being sacked because the chairman didn't like him is a weak argument and doesn't compare to the problem I have talked about. The managers are still favoured personel, and they weren't sacked, they left of there own accord.

So your saying if Arsene Wenger and Harry Redknap were close to winning the EPL they would both then leave and not wait at least until the end of the season to join clubs that aren't in Europe and not any where near to winning there respective leagues? One manager for a bit of extra money and the other because he likes Sevilla? Please.

If you think this is realistic then I guess I have nothing else to say to you as your mind is made up and no amount of common sense will change it.

Staggering that people are actually trying to defend this.

It doesnt - I was using that as referance for unlikely events like, birmingham, being near the top of the EPL.

Managers leave all the time for all sorts of reasons - sven going to LEICESTER and NOTTS COUNTY for example - go back 5 versions of FM and if that happened all mananer of people would be up in arms.

It wouldn't have happened 5 versions ago on FM.

People make stupid choices everyday. Managers are people too. The AI simulates (or at least tries to as well as is can) real life, so of course stupid choices and weird stuff have to happen sooner or later. Otherwise the game would be predictable and would become boring quickly and it would actually be less like real life.

It wouldn't have happened 5 versions ago on FM.

Right - but it happened in real life.

If in 5 years time a manager leaves a premier league challenger right near the end of the season, well you can proudly declare that your FM11 game modelled it 5 years earlier.

Weird things happen in football - you just got a couple in the same year.

Right - but it happened in real life.

If in 5 years time a manager leaves a premier league challenger right near the end of the season, well you can proudly declare that your FM11 game modelled it 5 years earlier.

Weird things happen in football - you just got a couple in the same year.

I didn't get a couple in the same year, I got a couple within a couple of days of each other who were both battling for the EPL. This won't happen in real life, ever, and to suggest it would is like predicting the lottery. It's an extremely unlikely and unrealistic scenario no matter how you, or anybody else dresses it up.

It is somewhat unrealistic agreed, but if such a thing happened in one of my saves I don't think it would ruin it by any stretch. Maybe Harry went for the huge contract, and Wenger decided he want to finish his managerial career in the sun!

Personally, I can see both managers leaving for the teams they did, but not at the point in time it happened in his game.

In fact, I will agree, it would NEVER happen.

(ok, maybe perhaps Harry would, but hell, we all know he's a bit of a second hand car salesman) :)

Dking you are right, and all the defenders here are being pretty ridiculous. 'It's a game!', 'It could happen!'...whatever.

Wenger and Redknapp would NOT leave when their clubs are challenging for a title, to teams who are worse off than them. Why do people suppose otherwise?! Wenger is as loyal as a manager comes, Redknapp no so much but in this scenario he would not leave!

The defenders of this need to get over themselves, because it is clearly an oddity within the game, and breaks a players immersion in the game.

Personally, I can see both managers leaving for the teams they did, but not at the point in time it happened in his game.

In fact, I will agree, it would NEVER happen.

(ok, maybe perhaps Harry would, but hell, we all know he's a bit of a second hand car salesman) :)

Why would Wenger ever leave arsenal for Seville? A team such as PSG perhaps, but even then he has said he would never manage the club, but not Seville, or Roma for that matter. He has his project at Arsenal, it's obvious to most football fans that he would not leave Arsenal for these teams, or at all. It's more likely he would retire than jump ship. Yes, that is my opinion but it is based on common sense.

Wenger leaving a title chasing arsenal for a spanish team in obscurity is more a bug than anything else. Why? Because Wenger has the highest possible points for loyalty in the game, arsenal are his favourite club, he is arsenals favourite personnel, he is 61, has been at arsenal for 16yrs and so on. So why does he leave Arsenal in every save for teams of lesser reputation and of seemingly no interest to the real life Wenger?

I have to agree with the OP, this would not happen in real life at that stage of the season, whether it's a bigger club or bigger spending power doesn't matter, managers would stay for the duration of the season and then take the job in the summer.

Can't believe people are defending this by saying unrealisitic things happen in football, this is completely different to teams having a bit of bad form or even manager's making a wrong decision - this is about the manager's ambition to win a title, and there is no way any manager would quit a job for a team in a worse position at this stage of the season.

Why would Wenger ever leave arsenal for Seville? A team such as PSG perhaps, but even then he has said he would never manage the club, but not Seville, or Roma for that matter. He has his project at Arsenal, it's obvious to most football fans that he would not leave Arsenal for these teams, or at all. It's more likely he would retire than jump ship. Yes, that is my opinion but it is based on common sense.

Wenger leaving a title chasing arsenal for a spanish team in obscurity is more a bug than anything else. Why? Because Wenger has the highest possible points for loyalty in the game, arsenal are his favourite club, he is arsenals favourite personnel, he is 61, has been at arsenal for 16yrs and so on. So why does he leave Arsenal in every save for teams of lesser reputation and of seemingly no interest to the real life Wenger?

He went to Barcelona in mine, but I couldn't even see him doing that in real life.

Wenger will never leave Arsenal of his own accord, just like SAF will never leave Utd unless it's in a box. Harry wouldn't move north of Watford so him going to City is also totally unrealistic. Couple with that that both managers were in a title race and it's obviously about as realistic as a cartoon animation... things like this spoil the game, they aren't game-breakers but they are most definitely game-spoilers

Don't assume that I assume.

I haven't assumed anything. I know all the facts I need to know about the clubs in the first season. One was Arsenal with Wenger in charge about to win the EPL, and the other was Tottenham with Harry in charge about to win the EPL for the first time in the clubs history. None of these clubs are struggling financially because it is the first season.

Your comparison of the Atlanta manager being sacked because the chairman didn't like him is a weak argument and doesn't compare to the problem I have talked about. The managers are still favoured personel, and they weren't sacked, they left of there own accord.

So your saying if Arsene Wenger and Harry Redknap were close to winning the EPL they would both then leave and not wait at least until the end of the season to join clubs that aren't in Europe and not any where near to winning there respective leagues? One manager for a bit of extra money and the other because he likes Sevilla? Please.

If you think this is realistic then I guess I have nothing else to say to you as your mind is made up and no amount of common sense will change it.

Staggering that people are actually trying to defend this.

You never gave us that information in your first post so how would I know any of this? Its amazing that your attitude gets you anywhere. You cant just expect people to agree with you because you say so. As for the Atalanta example, its an example and its not a weak one. It proves football is not following a selective pattern.

If you bothered reading my post I did say that if it was Wenger and in the first season then its a common problem. Of course though, you didnt read. You just assume, assume you're right. The lack of common sense comes on your part, if you believe having common sense is agreeing with you because you say so then you have no common sense. Its a democracy, we have a voice and we choose to use it. Don't forget that.

As for your "issue". I did suggest its probably a bug but I dont think it messes up your game. You shouldn't be bothered about what the gaming world does but more about your own in-game character and his achievements.

Wenger will never leave Arsenal of his own accord, just like SAF will never leave Utd unless it's in a box. Harry wouldn't move north of Watford so him going to City is also totally unrealistic. Couple with that that both managers were in a title race and it's obviously about as realistic as a cartoon animation... things like this spoil the game, they aren't game-breakers but they are most definitely game-spoilers

I get the unlikeliness of leaving in the title race, but this is just as bad as anyone who has been defending the game here.

It's pure personal opinion and not backed up by anything at all.

It's like saying an Arsenal great like Sol Campbell would never be seen dead in a Spurs shirt...oh wait...

With regards to people like Harry leaving right before the end of the season, if the Man City board had other managerial targets and would choose one of those if Harry weren't immediately available, would it not make sense for him to leave Spurs right then and there?

With regards to people like Harry leaving right before the end of the season, if the Man City board had other managerial targets and would choose one of those if Harry weren't immediately available, would it not make sense for him to leave Spurs right then and there?

Not if they were about to win the EPL for the first time in the clubs history.

The examples people are giving to defend this are pathetic managers being sacked? Do these people even read and understand what the thread is all about?

Can anyone give an example of a manager moving from a club a few games before they are about to win the title for the first time in the clubs recent history? Or an example of someone as loyal as Wenger moving a few games before proving everyone that his philosophy of football can win titles?

I agree with the OP. Post it in the bug forums... i also have suspicions about the managerial merry go round but guess it can't be perfect... And the people saying its just a game... well yes but at the same time it is supposed to be a simulation. If you want a more gamey/unrealistic game you would play fifa manager or something... In the same way that if you want a driving SIMULATION you would buy Gran Turismo 5 but if you want a more relaxed not so realistic game then you would buy need for speed or something. So i don't agree with the argument that its just a game... because its not.

The Wenger move is indeed weird.

But "'Appy 'Arry" probably left as he'd bankrupt the club and wanted to get out quick before he tarnished his reputation. Let someone else take the fall.

Massive money should be placed on Spurs going into administration on your save ^^

Seriously though, it is a realism issue and should be flagged up for SI. Common sense tells you the manager wouldn't leave in these circumstances.

Archived