Computer performance

well its pretty simple really, if he is still using a computer on XP chances are its quite old, you could go through the hassle of upgrading Ram, or a new graphics card, but the chances are the CPU will be outdated compared to modern ones and thus you could update all the hardware and still end up with a slowish computer.

Simple answer, although my post does sound knobbish, is to get a better computer.

Ive just brought a new laptop and now have 5 star performance according football manager.

But on my old computer i did upgrade the ram up to about 4 gb and it made a differance, but if you want to upgrade more things then it would be pretty expensive.

Milner is right unfortunately. An old XP machine will really struggle to even meet the minimum standards for the game.

If you are asking about improving performance it would most likely involve upgrading the processor, and therefore the mother board, increasing the ram, and more than likely replacing the graphics card - EG a new computer.

An old xp machine will not necessarily struggle. Mine runs XP and has 4 stars running a db with 100k players, 5 nations leagues etc and the full English leagues. I run 4gb Ram (well 3.4 plus) an intel Q9550 cpu

You need to know the specs and what set-up he has before you can comment.

He wont need an new Graphoc card to play FM faster and with memory being so cheap just adding a further 2gb ram may make a big difference for minimal outlay.

An old xp machine will not necessarily struggle. .

Yes - but he has already told us that it is struggling...

Thats the point. If you want to upgrade a computer that is the best part of 3-5 years old (unless he was one of those people who asked to have vista downgraded) then you are looking at improving most parts of it by a little bit, rather than 1 part a lot.

Its not XP that makes it struggle - he could have a newer one running Vista which is slower. By simply increasing the RAM for very little outlay he will improve the performance.

After that its a lot of money even just upgrading since they may not even sell faster CPU's that will fit on the motherboard.

So if it was me I'd:

a) short term buy 2gb RAM of a type suitable for the m/board

b) long term start saving for a faster machine

Its not XP that makes it struggle - he could have a newer one running Vista which is slower. By simply increasing the RAM for very little outlay he will improve the performance.

Absoultely correct, never implied it did - but the age of the opperating system generally gives an age for the overall computer, and if its struggling, then generally its struggling all over and thus one small change wont make an awful lot of difference.

Anyway - we are arguing over nothing as hes gone and hasnt posted his computer specs so, I guess we will never know :)

After that its a lot of money even just upgrading since they may not even sell faster CPU's that will fit on the motherboard.

So if it was me I'd:

a) short term buy 2gb RAM of a type suitable for the m/board

b) long term start saving for a faster machine

Without knowing the processor it would be hard to say if increasing RAM would make that much of a difference, if he is just running an older machine that was built with XP chances are its not going to be good enough to get FM running at a decent speed, increasing RAM may slightly improve things but finacially its money down the drain if your thinking about upgrading to a new model.

You could get a decent laptop to play this game for under £400, costs of upgrading an older machine to good enough specs wouldnt be far off that unless you know what your doing and can do the work yourself, based on the OP's post i would highly doubt he would be this kind of person.

Without knowing the processor it would be hard to say if increasing RAM would make that much of a difference, if he is just running an older machine that was built with XP chances are its not going to be good enough to get FM running at a decent speed, increasing RAM may slightly improve things but finacially its money down the drain if your thinking about upgrading to a new model.

You could get a decent laptop to play this game for under £400, costs of upgrading an older machine to good enough specs wouldnt be far off that unless you know what your doing and can do the work yourself, based on the OP's post i would highly doubt he would be this kind of person.

extra RAm WILL definately make a difference and its very cheap

well its pretty simple really, if he is still using a computer on XP chances are its quite old

Untrue. XP has nothing to do with the age of the machine. Its a totally different OS and as such has nothing to do with speed or age. Windows7 is simply a vista OS with slight differences and as such would make a PC struggle far more, it doesn't mean that a computer with Windows7 is newer.

Ram would help but it depends on the processor and also if the Mobo can take more Ram, you really need more info before going out and simply buying more RAM or it may prove a totally pointless purchase.

it wont make that much of a difference if he has a rubbish CPU, also he will be on a 32 bit OS, adding a heap of RAM wont increase the speed that much as the OS cant utilise that much. Also the kind of RAM will make a difference, adding 2GB of cheap RAM again wont really make that much difference on an old XP machine. Anyway it really is money wasted if you are even considering upgrading.

Untrue. XP has nothing to do with the age of the machine. Its a totally different OS and as such has nothing to do with speed or age. Windows7 is simply a vista OS with slight differences and as such would make a PC struggle far more, it doesn't mean that a computer with Windows7 is newer.

thats not what i said. i said the chances are its an older machine as by my experience there are not a lot of people who still use XP, judging by the rating his PC has i would of thought that was pushing towards an older machine rather than a new machine with an older OS. Obviously you can have new machines with older OS's but i dont think thats what we are looking at in this case.

thats not what i said. i said the chances are its an older machine as by my experience there are not a lot of people who still use XP, judging by the rating his PC has i would of thought that was pushing towards an older machine rather than a new machine with an older OS. Obviously you can have new machines with older OS's but i dont think thats what we are looking at in this case.

Totally untrue. A lot of people still use XP. Many because they prefer the engine to that offered by Windows 7 which is basically an update to the Vista engine which hardly anyone liked. If its a laptop then most people will automatically have Win 7 because its sold with new machines but even I know some people who have preferred XP on those machines.

The fact is the OS does very little to improve a PC, it simply changes the outlook and many people, especially those computer competent do not like Win7/Vista and have taken up either Linux or XP.

Totally untrue. A lot of people still use XP. Many because they prefer the engine to that offered by Windows 7 which is basically an update to the Vista engine which hardly anyone liked. If its a laptop then most people will automatically have Win 7 because its sold with new machines but even I know some people who have preferred XP on those machines.

The fact is the OS does very little to improve a PC, it simply changes the outlook and many people, especially those computer competent do not like Win7/Vista and have taken up either Linux or XP.

Agreed - I'm getting the strong opinion that milner is out of his depth here. IT competant - I think so as I test software for living :)

Yes, but sorry - you are utterly missing the point. Someone who knows enough to specifically state that they want a different opperating system to the one that they are given will NOT be here asking for computer advice.

99.999% of people run their pcs with the operating system they bought it with (or upgraded to) only that tiny tiny percentage of people actively downgraded their opperating system, most people either dont know how, or dont have the knowledge to even know they can.

Therefore as the op has stated that he has an XP computer that is struggling in places it is a fair assumption to make that his computer is between 3-5 years old and of standard make for a pc of that age. Thus, chances are it will have issues across the board with the game and thus, without further information, we are required to assume it would be easier/cheaper to replace the PC.

If he posts and says that the PC has a 512meg graphics card and 2.5ghz processor and 128meg of ram - then DEFINATELY increasing the ram will help him greatly - but frankly the chances of that happening fall somewhere between zero and zero.

Agreed - I'm getting the strong opinion that milner is out of his depth here. IT competant - I think so as I test software for living :)

i had no idea i was talking to an IT expert, very sorry.

Anyway the point stands the vast majority of people with newer machines will be on Vista/7 as most do not know how to install a second OS or do not care about changing it. Yes there are people who preferr XP and with you being able to get 64bit XP people will tend to use it, but the amount using the newer OS's will vastly outweigh those using XP. Anyway we are getting off topic, if he uses XP or not wont really matter, my only point was, and if the poster comes back we can check this out, it seems like he is using an old computer as someone knowlageable in IT would not be asking for help on an FM forum. Therefor one would assume his hardware will be out of date and updating RAM wont make that much difference at all.

A lot of people do not know much about PC' specs regardless of whether they know what an O/S is called let alone 32bit and 64 bit o/s. How many people used to have Vista when this was one of the worst O/s in a long time.

Increasing the RAM will make a difference, if you dont understand this then I prove my point QED

Yes, but sorry - you are utterly missing the point. Someone who knows enough to specifically state that they want a different opperating system to the one that they are given will NOT be here asking for computer advice.

99.999% of people run their pcs with the operating system they bought it with (or upgraded to) only that tiny tiny percentage of people actively downgraded their opperating system, most people either dont know how, or dont have the knowledge to even know they can.

Therefore as the op has stated that he has an XP computer that is struggling in places it is a fair assumption to make that his computer is between 3-5 years old and of standard make for a pc of that age. Thus, chances are it will have issues across the board with the game and thus, without further information, we are required to assume it would be easier/cheaper to replace the PC.

If he posts and says that the PC has a 512meg graphics card and 2.5ghz processor and 128meg of ram - then DEFINATELY increasing the ram will help him greatly - but frankly the chances of that happening fall somewhere between zero and zero.

It has nothing to do with the OS, Windows XP is fine. The specs for FM have not changed from FM10 to FM11 and XP was still around and being sold in 2009 so its untrue to assume the computer is 3-5 years old, it could be 1+ yrs old.

I agree we need more info but either way the OS is not the problem. Its likely to be a processor or RAM issue, I would say processor as that is the one thing people rarely change when upgrading a PC. Ram will only be of use if the mobo and processor are suitable and up to date.

In no way and I repeat is the OS, XP, the problem. You can run upto 6mb on XP with a very good mobo so the OS is redundant in this discussion. My guess is the OP doesn't know this.

i had no idea i was talking to an IT expert, very sorry.

Anyway the point stands the vast majority of people with newer machines will be on Vista/7 as most do not know how to install a second OS or do not care about changing it. Yes there are people who preferr XP and with you being able to get 64bit XP people will tend to use it, but the amount using the newer OS's will vastly outweigh those using XP. Anyway we are getting off topic, if he uses XP or not wont really matter, my only point was, and if the poster comes back we can check this out, it seems like he is using an old computer as someone knowlageable in IT would not be asking for help on an FM forum. Therefor one would assume his hardware will be out of date and updating RAM wont make that much difference at all.

I'm testing websites for a living currently. This means we need to test using combinations of common and the most popular operating systems and browsers. XP is still the most popular operating system used. If you do search on google you will also see this. This because many have old machines and also many people with a small IT knowledge will buy a PC with a preference for XP. Those that dont are often the people who walk into Curry's and PC World

Anyway - my time is finished here. Thanks for the debate and I hope the OP makes a good choice

Agreed on Vista yet Win 7 is based on the same engine so to suggest its better than XP brings up a whole different discussion.

I'm not saying Win 7better. There is a good reason why the vast majority of IT companies still run their pc's and laptops on XP

Increasing the RAM will make a difference, if you dont understand this then I prove my point QED

Not true. A 32bit opperating system cant use more than about 3.2 gig (or whatever its around there) - so, increasing your ram beyond that point is absolutely pointless. You are arguing for the sake of arguing trying to score points.

As I said above, without knowing what his system specs are this debate is utterly pointless.

It has nothing to do with the OS, Windows XP is fine. The specs for FM have not changed from FM10 to FM11 and XP was still around and being sold in 2009 so its untrue to assume the computer is 3-5 years old, it could be 1+ yrs old.

I agree we need more info but either way the OS is not the problem. Its likely to be a processor or RAM issue, I would say processor as that is the one thing people rarely change when upgrading a PC. Ram will only be of use if the mobo and processor are suitable and up to date.

In no way and I repeat is the OS, XP, the problem. You can run upto 6mb on XP with a very good mobo so the OS is redundant in this discussion. My guess is the OP doesn't know this.

no one said the OS was a problem in anyway, all we said was the chances are its an older machine based on the OS being used and the fact he has a half star rating. XP was sold in 2009 but not as standard, by then most new machines were sold with vista.

Of course the game will run fine on XP but it this is not the point, without knowing the full pc specs we are all taking guesses here, but i think its safe to assume its an older machine with outdated hardware.

It has nothing to do with the OS, Windows XP is fine.

Ive never said it was. I am just using the os to estimate the computers age.

Yes xp could be bought last year - chances are that it wasnt. Im sure if I wanted to I could find an example of windows 2000 being installed on a very modern PC - but its not likely.

Not true. A 32bit opperating system cant use more than about 3.2 gig (or whatever its around there) - so, increasing your ram beyond that point is absolutely pointless. You are arguing for the sake of arguing trying to score points.

As I said above, without knowing what his system specs are this debate is utterly pointless.

Look at the original question please. Increasing RAM will likely help. for you info 32 bit o/s can use more than 3.2gb. It will likely use upto the max 4gb but in reality less is available because the memory is used for things like BIOS, graphics cards etc and its the remainder thats available. Therefire if you just put 3gb in you'll have have less than 3gb available and on it goes.

Adding RAM, if possible and to a limit based on o/s is well known as the cheapest, easiest and quickest way to help your pc run faster.

Anyway - Lets leave this until the OP returns with his specs

I'm not scoring points at all I'm just detailing the facts which is a lot more helpful than the first reply from Milner I think you'll agree

Look at the original question please.

got it:

I have a good windows xp computer but fm2011 sometimes runs really slowly how can I improve my computer performance but atm it's half a star only

Nope, none the wiser still - you made assumptions, I made assumptions - but you declared that you were right and it was definately going to be helped by adding Ram

Increasing the RAM will make a difference,

It might well help - but there is no point in saying it definately will, when you dont know.

I'm not scoring points at all I'm just detailing the facts

really?

if you dont understand this then I prove my point QED

Well we do agree on one thing:

which is a lot more helpful than the first reply from Milner I think you'll agree

But to be fair I dont think his post was entirely serious - the .............................. might have given it away.

Archived