FM2008 - The Offical Harpenden Town Thread

Thanks very much to markcator3006 for perfecting the kits and badge!

HarpendenTownFM09Sponsor.jpg

HarpendenTownFM09Badge.jpg

Download the file from:

FileFront

OR

Sorry, the MediaFire link isn't working. I'll try and upload it again ASAP

To download the file:

1. Open the link above

2. Press the 'Download Now' button, above the information

3. When the option box appears, select 'save'

4. Save the database to "C:, (Your Name), My Documents, Sports Interactive, Football Manager 2008, db, New Club, (database file here)

5. Wait for the file to download fully.

6. You can then select the database to use, and start a new game as usual from the Football Manager opening screen. Remember to select the database ‘New Club’.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Real Life Information

Harpenden Town Football Club is a football club based in Harpenden, Hertfordshire. It was established in 1891 and was the founding member of the Herts County League in 1898. Harpenden Town play their home matches at Rothampsted Park. Harpenden Town is nicknamed 'The Harps', and the chairman of Harpenden Town is Brian Hicks. They are currently playing in the Spartan South Midlands League.

Football Manager Information

On the save file, Harpenden Town have been moved to the Conference South. Their bank balance is about £995k, but as they are an amateur club, they have not transfer or wage budget so the balance will go straight up. Their stadium is as real life, Rothampsted Park, but it is expanded, with a capacity of 5000, 2458 seated. The limit of expansion is in the region of 25,000

I also used the editor to remove all players from Harpenden Town, and left them with just youth players. All but two youth players start in the First Team Squad. There are three members of staff - an assistant manager, a coach, and a physio. None of these are worth keeping, and should accept a mutual termination of their contracts for a very low sum of money. There is no manager, so you will be the first in Harpenden Town’s Football Manager history!

There is also a player who I created in the editor, called Ben Harper, who can play either AML or ST. He has a current ability of 45, but a huge PA of 185. It will be a huge challenge to firstly get him up to his potential, but secondly to keep the bigger clubs away. Harper is just 14 years old, so he has a lot of time to fulfil his potential. As soon as you achieve part-time status you should tie him down, as amateur players can leave the club for free at any time. Ben can become one of your best players, so try your best to keep hold.

Harpenden has two fierce rivals, MK Dons and Luton Town. These are both local to Harpenden, the main reason for the rivalry. Despite no real rivalry, the Harpenden fans like to get wins over other local teams such as St. Albans, Stevenage, Northwood and Boreham Wood. Harpenden also has one affiliated club, Watford. Watford is obviously the parent club, and may choose to loan Harpenden players. There is also an agreement to play an annual friendly.

I have cancelled out all records, so all records will be freshly made by you. Despite me deleting all records in the editor (from the club I turned into Harpenden Town), there are still two different records that have stayed. These are ‘League appearances’ and ‘League Goals’. Both of these are very low though, and should be broken in the first season.

After much consideration, I have chosen the three kits that I think would suit Harpenden. Here are the 3 kits. The yellow and blue kit is the home kit. The red and black kit is the away kit, and the white and blue kit is the 3rd kit. Like I said, full credit to Markcator3006 for making the kits.

Chosen3kits.jpg

Download the kits from:

MediaFire

Or

FileFront

To download the kits and badges

1. Open one of the links above

2. Press the 'Download Now' button, above the information

3. When the option box appears, select 'save'

4. Save the database to "C:, (Your Name), My Documents, Sports Interactive, Football Manager 2008, graphics, (save file here)

5. Wait for the file to download fully.

6. When the file has downloaded fully, go into the file location.

7. From here, right click on the file

8. Select ‘Extract all files here’ (May be slightly different depending on PC)

9. Go onto the Football Manager 2008 title screen

10. Go into the preferences’ screen

11. Go into ‘Display & Sound’ on the options bar

12. Untick ‘Use Skin Cache’, but Tick ‘Always Reload Skin on Confirm’. Lastly, make sure that ‘Show Badges / Logos’ is ticked

13. Press confirm, and it should say ‘Loading image data for new skin’

14. Start your Harpenden Town game, and the badges and kits should all be in your game

The Targets of a Harpenden Town game

The main aim of the game is to get yourself towards world domination, eventually becoming the best team in England (Premier League), Europe (Champions League), and the Club World Championships (World). This will be done by shrewed business in the transfer window, and selecting a good squad. Becoming the champions of your respective league is another challenge. The fun of the game is managing a team from the lowest leagues possible, and making them a world force, signing and losing many players along the way. Obviously, moving a team from the bottom leagues proves much satisfaction, looking back at the history of Harpenden Town will be a very satisfying view.

And finally...

I hope that many people download this database, and enjoy playing as Harpenden Town. I like to think that the Harpenden Town team thread will become very popular and helpful.

It will be a challenge, but also be great fun, so why not give it a go?!

Good luck, and remember to share your experiences in here!

To post screenshots in this thread

1. While in FM, press the 'Print Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).

2. Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image

3. Save the file as a JPEG

4. Upload the image to an image hosting website such as www.photobucket.com or www.imageshack.com

Personally I prefer photobucket, but you will have to make an account.

5. Post the direct URL to the image on this thread. Please refrain from posting images directly onto this page, as it becomes very untidy. Thanks.

Good Luck!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a look at the save and there is no Harpenden. But it does look like you've put Ben Harper in Hampton & Richmond, who have only amateur players and a unnamed stadium with 500 seats. In other words you've put all the info of Harpenden into Hampton & Richmond except for the stadium name, which is not there.

It won't let me upload all of the database, only lots of little peices inside it.

Anyone know how I can upload the database as a whole?

Zip the whole file, making one piece, not 50. Download Winrar if you want to zip it. After downloading Winrar all you do is right click on the folder, then click "add to 'whateverfileiscalled'.zip".

Ok, I'm makeing the game as I write. Any tips for buys, places to look for gems?

NOTE: BTW, anyone who downloads the database, put it into the db file, but then make a new folder named 'New Club', and put everything downloaded from the zip file (after extracting) into there. Otherwise it will not work.

Ok, I have finally finished my transfers, and my squad is very full. My average age is 29(!), so I'm expecting my team to be in wheelchairs halfway through the season, which is quite worrying. The season hasn't started yet, but I've used 3 hours and 32 minutes on transfers! Here is the squad. I hope this helps others with transfers.

This is actually quite an easy challenge (touch wood)! They have almost no expectations of you, saying you have to survive the Blue Square South (you can't change the expectations either), reach the third qualiying round of the FA Cup, which is when you are entered, reach the first round of the Setanta Shield and enjoy participation of the FA Trophy! No pressure!

And, since you have no wages, your balance only goes up! I'm first in the league after 21 games, having only lost one game and drawn two, and the nearest challengers are 17 points behind me! Unless, like earlier predicted, the team suddenly how old they really are and break, then I'm going to coast to the finish line! If I do reach the BSP, I will drop almost all the oldies and get a new, younger team, and hope my team goes semi professional. However takes this challenge uy the following : Francesco Baiano, Boubacar Balde and Joseph Tarrassenko. They are immense!

Havent posted for a bit, my internet is cr*p.

DiscoStu, you seem to have found quite a few good players, so can you post which leagues you have loaded please?

I havent started my Harpenden save yet, so need to know which leagues.

Thanks.

Hey, nice to see someone else post on this thread!

I loaded the Italian, Spanish, French, Dutch and German top leagues and the English leagues from the bottom tier. Also loaded all players from Poland, Romania, Portugal and England.

One problem I encoutered was the fact the even when you go semi-professional, they give you no funds and no wages. I have signed some players, who requested wages, and the board are happy with wages, even though were £750 over a wage budget of £0!

Not realy TBH. Could you get loans from clubs that went down in Serie A, Bundesliga, etc?

On the first game I had, I found a great little striker called Torre. A free agent, with great stats.

He agreed to join on a ameteur deal, and I got him. Scored a few in friendlies, (2 in 4-1 win over Macclesfield!) but got injured for four months.

That save didnt load though, and he isnt on this one. i had more 'load all players from' on my other game.

15 games into the Blue Square Premier, and I am 4th. The team really needs promotion, as the oldies I have can't last another season, and if I don't get promoted, it will be even harder to attract good players as I've gotten the best I can at this level. If I get promoted, I will most probably go professional, meaning I can get better players with some money. BTW, get Damien Sadziak and Joseph Tarrassenko, monsters in front of goal!

My squad is below btw, as you can see, it's mostly made up of the French and the Polish, as they were the only ones willing to come! Most of the English/Italian and Spanish rejected me, I sort of noticed a pattern there... Tried to get a few Africans, but all the decent ones either didn't want to come or had thei work permit rejected icon_frown.gif, so my whole squad is European.

harpendensquad2qk9.th.jpg

Tarrassenko - Cant even find Cote, let alone him!

Sedziak i have now found, but he only has finishing of 5. Not impressed. Would get him anyway, but he has already signed a contract with another club, and is on loan with a value of £18k.

Trying to get Liam Henderson on loan from Watford, reckon he will do great!

Nice squad you got, you'll get promotion easily with it (touch wood), if you play the right tactics. BTW, when you get to the Blue Square Premie, get rid of all the oldies, they won't be able to even be back up, especially Yanko.

Did you get any loans in?

I think i might need a striker, as Jurak and Kosecki are my only two good strikers, Jackson and Lewis arent up to much.

Any suggestions?

I tried many a time, they all rejected me icon_frown.gif

Try Pawel Kubuda, Jakub Kosecki (natural AMC, but can score well), Boubacar Balde (natural AMC but managed ~22 league goals when he arrived in January). Look at Paolo Di Canio as well. Or Mickael Pagis or Maciej Bykowski.

If I were you then I would download the save file aswell.

There has been no previous manager, so it would be like a brand new game, except you wouldnt have to load it.

Dont think you would have to download the game aswell, but you might as well.

If I were you then I would download the save file aswell.

There has been no previous manager, so it would be like a brand new game, except you wouldnt have to load it.

Dont think you would have to download the game aswell, but you might as well.

Oh, fair enough. Did you load players from other countries before though?

I selected France, Germany, Holland, Spain, and Italy top flights. England from Prem to Blue Square North/South.

All players from Romania, Brazil, Argentina, and Poland.

I suppose that you could make your own game, if you dont want as many leagues playable. Make sure the leagues that you make un-playable you then put onto the 'all players from _______ loaded'.

Whichever way, enjoyicon_smile.gif

DiscoStu

I have just played my first match in the away kit. The commentry really does my eyes inicon_wink.gif

Archived