Slow striker as lone poacher position

No, wouldn't work. Well... it isn't optimum anyway. It would depend on his Anticipation, Off The Ball etc. too, but generally it's not optimum.

Target Man if your man has decent Strength, Jumping, Heading, First Touch (basically if he's a big guy)... or a Deep Lying Forward if he's more of a skillful player on the ground.

Kevin Davies would be an example of a Target Man, Dimitar Berbatov would be an example of a Deep Lying Forward. Even though Berbatov is taller than Davies, the stats count more!

No i have tried that with Inzaghi and it didnt work even after i have made most of his mental attributes 20's. The ME still gives the biggest advantage to the players with better physical attributes and needs a lot more work. IRL Inzaghi plays fairly good(he is 37) as a poacher thanks to his brilliant anticipation and off the ball movement but you cant replicate this in the current ME

Interestingly, the guy has rather good stats on all other things like composure(16), off the ball(15), anticipation(14), passing(15), decision(18), heading (19), jumping(15), strength(17), teamwork(18), workrate(18), creativity(13), first touch(17) with 6'3" tall. i think he'd be good at both on the ground and air...

Maybe he's more suitable for deep lying forward. I do have AMC as trequartista and 2 inside forward on the wings. But for 8 seasons, a lot of my goals come from my lone striker running the hell pass opponents on counter lol but this guy is struggling with my tactics when i get him a season or 2 ago...

Btw, how far will attribute be trainable for acceleration and pace? I have this young kid on heavy aerobic and quickness individual training for like 2 yrs now and he improves from 10 to 12.... I was hoping he'd get around 15 by now.

Interestingly, the guy has rather good stats on all other things like composure(16), off the ball(15), anticipation(14), passing(15), decision(18), heading (19), jumping(15), strength(17), teamwork(18), workrate(18), creativity(13), first touch(17) with 6'3" tall. i think he'd be good at both on the ground and air...

Maybe he's more suitable for deep lying forward. I do have AMC as trequartista and 2 inside forward on the wings. But for 8 seasons, a lot of my goals come from my lone striker running the hell pass opponents on counter lol but this guy is struggling with my tactics when i get him a season or 2 ago...

Btw, how far will attribute be trainable for acceleration and pace? I have this young kid on heavy aerobic and quickness individual training for like 2 yrs now and he improves from 10 to 12.... I was hoping he'd get around 15 by now.

The guys sounds like a Target Man to me!

As for the youth lad, I've always find the players to improve quickest if you give them plently of game time. Try playing them in the cups and matches where you fell confident you will win easily also have him on the bench so you can bring him on with 20-25 mins to go when your winning comfortably.

Depends on your tactics.

I find slower, Inzaghi types can still be great as a poacher if you dominate possesion. They only need to run 5 yards as the oppositon will be penned on the edge of their box. They will obviously be useless on the counter attack though. So only use them like that when you are going to dominate the game entirely.

I would only ever use a slow striker against good teams if he had great Balance and Strength. That can make up for speed I notice. Llorente is slow, but can still run aroundd people somehow so it must me him muscling everyone about.

Your Huntellar/Inzaghi/Kevin Philips cant do that though.

I played Luca Toni as lone striker in a narrow 4-2-3-1 system, in a poacher role on fm10, seamed to work well enough

would have been even better if he had been more clinical, but his league goal record sticked around for a few years on that save

How old is he? It's very difficult to improve pace/acceleration through training. He'll never reach 15.

Signed him around 18 or 19, and it's been 2 years, so probably 20 or 21 now. I tried to use him as a target man on a 4-5-1 formation and he got like a 6 rating... Tried with 4-4-2 with a Poacher and still terrible (got around 6.2 rating)... And I won those 2 matches with like 5-2 and 4-0... he's the only one who suck on the field lol With all those good workrate/teamwork stats, I was hoping he can be somewhat useful...

Maybe I just need to wait him for a year or 2 until he's fully developed. Until then, he can sit on my bench.

@phnompenhandy: it's really hard to improve? I have him on intensive aerobic training and quickness as individual for 2 years and only 2 points... maybe I should stop signing these slow strikers coz it's part of my tactic for fast tempo, counter attack play...

Depends on your tactics.

I would only ever use a slow striker against good teams if he had great Balance and Strength. That can make up for speed I notice. Llorente is slow, but can still run aroundd people somehow so it must me him muscling everyone about.

First of all, lol @ Sheva saying "depends on your tactics" xD

But you're completely right about your observations on Balance and Strength. It's possible to play a lone Poacher up top as long as he has top, top stats for working a yard of space, brushing a player or two away and finishing lethally.

No, wouldn't work. Well... it isn't optimum anyway. It would depend on his Anticipation, Off The Ball etc. too, but generally it's not optimum.

Target Man if your man has decent Strength, Jumping, Heading, First Touch (basically if he's a big guy)... or a Deep Lying Forward if he's more of a skillful player on the ground.

Kevin Davies would be an example of a Target Man, Dimitar Berbatov would be an example of a Deep Lying Forward. Even though Berbatov is taller than Davies, the stats count more!

What is the type of player for a Advanced Forward, can never figuire that out?

Archived