Laptop Help

hi, i bought fm2011 back in november but my old laptop wouldnt play it. im now thinking of buying a reconditioned one but would like to ask for any help whether this laptop will def work with fm 2011? its a

HP Compaq nw8440

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7600 (2.33-GHz, 667-MHz FSB, 4-MB L2 cache)

ATI Mobility FireGL V5200 graphics controller with 256 MB of discrete video memory

2gb of RAM which can be inceased to max of 4GB

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Actually looking at your spec it sounds like a business spec'd laptop to me which will be ok say running just one nation's leagues e.g. all 4 english leagues with a small db. If I was you I'd save up for a better one for around 350-400

Buy it with 3gb memory minimum. 2gb will struggle

Really? Minimum specs for the game are:

What are the minimum specs for running the Football Manager 2011 demo on my system?

PC

OS - Windows XP/Vista/Windows7

Processor - XP - 1.4ghz or faster Vista/W7 - 2.0hgz or faster

Memory - XP-512MB Ram, Vista/W7 - 1GB Ram

Video Card - 128MB minimum. Nvidia FX 5900 Ultra or greater; ATI Radeon 9800 or greater; Intel 82915G/82910GL or greater.

Earlier cards may only display 2D Match Viewer Mode and are not supported.

Like everything it is all about perception - if you expect to run 10+ leagues and move through the game super fast, then yes 3+gig of Ram is a necessity - but accord to SI its not required.

ok thanks for the replies, might just hold back and get a better laptop but also thinking that i could always increase RAM if required depending on whether the processor and graphics are good enough??

Its better than the minimum game specs.

I wouldnt want to play the game on that computer - but its personal preferance, so its really hard to tell if its going to meet your expectations or not.

It will definately run the game - beyond that its hard to say.

Really? Minimum specs for the game are:

Like everything it is all about perception - if you expect to run 10+ leagues and move through the game super fast, then yes 3+gig of Ram is a necessity - but accord to SI its not required.

Minimal specs are there for a reason...you could just play with 1 league and it would work. As I've said before memory is vety cheap.

The laptop sounds similar to my work laptop as I said and it will play a nation of 4 leagues ok with a small db. Personally I prefer larger databases with leagues running in at least 6 nations and thats why I play it on my home pc.

Its a well known fact that the minimum specs of ALL games are the absolute minimum. Why spend money on a second hand laptop that gives the bare minumum. My personal view is that its a waste of money and he'd be better of saving for something better

At the end of the day its his money, I'm just giving my opinion

read the specs for the game, if yours are above or equal to that, you will be fine.

I would want more RAM than that laptop has but thats my personal choice.

If that was your approach to all games you'd be severley disapponted when you run them on your pc

At the end of the day its his money, I'm just giving my opinion

Which you are totally entitled to - but posting that 2gig isnt enough and that 3 is the minimum isnt posting your opinion, its stating a fact that isnt true, which is why I have made great efforts to say what is actually required, but that I, personally, wouldnt want to play on that machine.

If that was your approach to all games you'd be severley disapponted when you run them on your pc

i tend not to play many games on PC's, just a pain really, i have my xbox and PS3 for gaming, FM is the only one i ever run on my laptop now a days.

Anyway i dont see your point, if you have the minimum specs required, you can play the game, if you want to run the game more complex you get a better computer, simple really. The OP only asks if that laptop will run the game, not how many leagues or size of database or anything other than just running the game.

i tend not to play many games on PC's, just a pain really, i have my xbox and PS3 for gaming, FM is the only one i ever run on my laptop now a days.

Anyway i dont see your point, if you have the minimum specs required, you can play the game, if you want to run the game more complex you get a better computer, simple really. The OP only asks if that laptop will run the game, not how many leagues or size of database or anything other than just running the game.

Minimum specs will allow you play the game with minimum settings. This is my point MINIMUM

If this is sufficent for the OP then thats fine, it wouldn't be for me but its the OP's choice

Which you are totally entitled to - but posting that 2gig isnt enough and that 3 is the minimum isnt posting your opinion, its stating a fact that isnt true, which is why I have made great efforts to say what is actually required, but that I, personally, wouldnt want to play on that machine.

In my opinion it isn't enough regardless of what the box says the minimum Ram is. Do a search on for "minimum specs" within this forum and see what you get. I think it will differ greatly to what it says on the box

Minimum specs will allow you play the game with minimum settings. This is my point MINIMUM

If this is sufficent for the OP then thats fine, it wouldn't be for me but its the OP's choice

fair enough, but when did this become a discussion about what your preferences are when running FM?

again ill say it, OP asked if that laptop would run the game, answer is yes it will.

In my opinion it isn't enough regardless of what the box says the minimum Ram is. Do a search on for "minimum specs" within this forum and see what you get. I think it will differ greatly to what it says on the box

sigh

the game will run on the minimum specs, its as simple as that. SI cannot put those specs on the box if the game will not run on a computer using them. What you are going on about is personal preference which has nothing to do with the question the OP asked.

The problem here is the Graphics card, it isn't good enough. Upgrading RAM will help but the Graphics card is your main problem.

For what seems good specs, they have given you a very limited graphics card, no doubt to reduce the total cost but then giving you the stated problem.

And again, I dont disagree, my personal preferance is not the play the game on anything but an I5 2.5ghz, 4 gig ram (would like more) and 1 gig ATI graphics card. But - thats hardly the minimum requirements.

As ive said many times - without knowing the OPs personal requirements (EG wants to play 20 leagues in full detail and have all the graphical setting set to high) then its impossible to say what will make him happy. Maybe he just wants to run the EPL with a small database - minimum specs would probably be just fine then, but stating as fact that SIX times the minimum Ram is a requirement is disingenuous.

sigh

the game will run on the minimum specs, its as simple as that. SI cannot put those specs on the box if the game will not run on a computer using them. What you are going on about is personal preference which has nothing to do with the question the OP asked.

We aren't talking about minimum specs. The OP said would the spec of the reconditioned laptop be worth buying to run FM.

The answer is yes if you want to run the game using the lowest specs it will just about run on

In my opinion, and this is what he asked for, I'd not buy that laptop I'd save my money and buy something better that will give him more options

Trawl through the numerous threads and you will see my view point is shared by the vast majority. I'd not want the OP to waste his cash

If he wants to follow your advice he's welcome

The answer is yes if you want to run the game using the lowest specs it will just about run on

erm - no?

It has 4 times the ram required, twice the graphics card required and over twice the ghz required (although comparing a single to a dual core isnt that simple I know)

If you genuinely believe the game wont run on the minimum requirements report SI to trading standards, otherwise dont post oppinion as fact. I have made it painfully clear what is fact and what is oppion. As it happens my opinion is fairly close to yours - but it doesnt make it fact.

Thanks again for the replies, my current laptop runs the game as it has the minimum specs but it is extremely slow with no 3d match engine so was hoping this one would run it at a decent speed with 7 or 8 leagues and with the 3d match engine,sorry for not explaining this in the original post and causing the confusion. taking the posts into consideration i guess im better holding out for a better offer to come along.

Thanks again for the replies, my current laptop runs the game as it has the minimum specs but it is extremely slow with no 3d match engine so was hoping this one would run it at a decent speed with 7 or 8 leagues and with the 3d match engine,sorry for not explaining this in the original post and causing the confusion. taking the posts into consideration i guess im better holding out for a better offer to come along.

No problem Stu

Maidel - Stu's reply seems to back up my statement on minimum spec

erm - no?

It has 4 times the ram required, twice the graphics card required and over twice the ghz required (although comparing a single to a dual core isnt that simple I know)

If you genuinely believe the game wont run on the minimum requirements report SI to trading standards, otherwise dont post oppinion as fact. I have made it painfully clear what is fact and what is oppion. As it happens my opinion is fairly close to yours - but it doesnt make it fact.

Oh shut up, why will I sue SI - Ypu been to the pub lunchtime? - I didn't say it wouldn't work, I said it would run on basic settings that most people would be unhappy with. If you reaid Stu's reply you'll see he confirms this

I'm not wasting any more time proving myself to you. Stu has just proved it

Game over man, game over

Archived