PDA

View Full Version : who wants the option to own a club in fm12

toon army 06
28-12-2010, 04:34
i would this this feature added it would be great to have the choice to start a carrer as either a manager or owner.

being an owner would be great i think it would take the game to another level there no loss in trying it out. football is big today with owners being in the spotlight more.

Kenco
28-12-2010, 04:46
No, because it would be really boring.

Day 1, hire a manager, set a transfer budget.
Days 2-365, do nothing.
Day 366, set a transfer budget.
etc.

deadfncat
28-12-2010, 04:52
would need to be able to be owner/manager

I think it would be better to be a manager for awhile, spend your earnings on a small team and take it to sucess
maybe then buy a bigger club etc.

Wiitastic
28-12-2010, 05:06
this is football manager not football mogul. will never happen, guarantee you that

by the way, go check out the poll you created

yes i would like the owner option put in to 20012

maybe the owner option will be included by 20012 he he

Kenco
28-12-2010, 05:18
this is football manager not football mogul. will never happen, guarantee you that

The 2 that have voted yes are probably happy for it to be included in 20012, but don't want it next year!

Wiitastic
28-12-2010, 05:26
The 2 that have voted yes are probably happy for it to be included in 20012, but don't want it next year!

whoever the clowns are who voted for it to be in for 2012, most likely want the ability to spend your managerial wages also and lets not forget the option to have different hardness levels (easy, medium, hard) :D

phnompenhandy
28-12-2010, 05:32
No, never in Football MANAGER. Come sup every year, tedious now.

deadfncat
28-12-2010, 05:39
whoever the clowns are who voted for it to be in for 2012, most likely want the ability to spend your managerial wages also and lets not forget the option to have different hardness levels (easy, medium, hard) :D

While I like this idea, difficulty levels are a stupid stupid idea
:P

Fabio MVP
28-12-2010, 10:23
I've seen some bas ideas here, but this one tops it. :thup:

Eugene Tyson
28-12-2010, 11:01
I've had this idea before.

But this is how I always saw it work.

You are a manager and you make earnings. So you have a career that spans say 40 seasons. And you accumulate wealth. Then at the end of your career you have the choice to RESIGN and then you can use your accumulated wealth to purchase a club within your accumulated wealth.

After you buy the club you enter the game as a new manager, young and fresh, but your club is owned by your former self.

This could mean that I end up buying say a club and they have a bit of wealth due to new owners. And you as a fresh young manager can use this wealth.

I've had games before that I get to 100 years of age. Which is not realisitic. I'd like to be able to Resign and add a new manager, but there is no reason why I can't use my accumulated wealth to purchase a club. This would only mean that the wealth I've built up is injected into a club and you get to start a new career.

Tubey84
28-12-2010, 11:45
The title of the game should be enough to make the answer to this poll an absolute no-brainer.

YesYesOhYay
28-12-2010, 11:46
I've had this idea before.

But this is how I always saw it work.

You are a manager and you make earnings. So you have a career that spans say 40 seasons. And you accumulate wealth. Then at the end of your career you have the choice to RESIGN and then you can use your accumulated wealth to purchase a club within your accumulated wealth.

After you buy the club you enter the game as a new manager, young and fresh, but your club is owned by your former self.

This could mean that I end up buying say a club and they have a bit of wealth due to new owners. And you as a fresh young manager can use this wealth.

I've had games before that I get to 100 years of age. Which is not realisitic. I'd like to be able to Resign and add a new manager, but there is no reason why I can't use my accumulated wealth to purchase a club. This would only mean that the wealth I've built up is injected into a club and you get to start a new career.

im not a big fan of the whole 'owning a club' thing on f,-
but if you did this i think it would work quite well

wow.... never thought id be saying that!!

jayahr
28-12-2010, 14:03
Nuff said in older poll too.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/156286-Should-FM-have-a-Chairman-Owner-Option

Robin_ellis_19
28-12-2010, 14:13
thought it was called Football MANAGER ?

Quads
28-12-2010, 14:19
yes yes and yes. it would be a superb feature etc. but I wanna see director of football and player career first. and lol @ ppl saying its Football Manager. well, obviously, we have a few idiots in SI forums. im 100% sure football manager means manager of football, owners are huge part of football management these days, but owners modes jadajada would take a few years I guess, because it would be completely different game...

Tubey84
28-12-2010, 14:21
yes yes and yes. it would be a superb feature etc. but I wanna see director of football and player career first. and lol @ ppl saying its Football Manager. well, obviously, we have a few idiots in SI forums. im 100% sure football manager means manager of football, owners are huge part of football management these days, but owners modes jadajada would take a few years I guess, because it would be completely different game...

There's no way you can be serious.

Eugene Tyson
28-12-2010, 14:22
Yeh but the point in doing it my way is that it would encourage career games. Where someone actually manages until they are 70 years of age. Or when they have enough wealth to buy a club they like.

Then when they retire - the clubs chairman is your former self with your profile attributes. And you start as a new manager at the club you love which has new investors and a little more cash to splash.

I think it's a novell ideal.

Lazaru5
28-12-2010, 14:30
well in support of the OP...

Barry Fry - Peterborough

but I'm not sure I'd like it... I have thought it would be nice to earn boatloads as a manager and then buy a club and owner/manage them (perhaps not on a Michael Knighton @ Carlisle level though - I don't know any aliens for one ;) )

I sometimes think that I'd like to be able to bet a few quid on games too, especially when my team are 30/1 to win away from home (and we win 1-0 :p )

BUT

I'd rather we didn't get any new features in FM12 - just tweaks/improvements to the current features would suffice (IMHO)

Tubey84
28-12-2010, 14:46
Yeh but the point in doing it my way is that it would encourage career games. Where someone actually manages until they are 70 years of age. Or when they have enough wealth to buy a club they like.

Then when they retire - the clubs chairman is your former self with your profile attributes. And you start as a new manager at the club you love which has new investors and a little more cash to splash.

I think it's a novell ideal.

And do what exactly? The manager in FM already controls wages, staff and transfers. So what's left to do apart from hire a manager, and occasionally say yes or no to their requests?

You wouldn't control match decisions, you wouldn't be involved in tactics etc.

Basically, FM already allows you to do the interesting aspects that a chairman deals with (at the expense of realism I might add), so I honestly cannot see any reason why a "Be A Chairman" feature should be added in this series. If you want to build your own stadium and have a shedload of useless gimmicks thrown at you, FIFA Manager is in your local gaming shops bargain bin as we speak.

Unbelievably stupid idea. Next one will be Groundskeeper Manager 2012 I guess. Keep the grass short, organise the sprinklers, cover the grass if snow is forecast...

edgar555
28-12-2010, 14:50

Yeah you're right there are a few idiots on these forums. I mean some people basically think anyone who doesn't agree with them are idiots. Worse than that are the ones who cover their insults in spoiler tags :thdn:

And i voted no, as I have done everytime this gets asked.

dan99
28-12-2010, 14:51
http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/PChx88tuabhwpmuhaf/Director_of_Football_-_Ally_McCoist

Enjoy.

MyOleSolskjaer
28-12-2010, 14:59
im still waiting for "kit-man" manager, come on si sort it out ;)

dontask
28-12-2010, 15:03
we get this sort of poll about 4 times a year and the answer is still no!!!!

howhigh1337
28-12-2010, 15:21
well, atleast it's way to spend our in-game money which is pretty useless atm

macca1001
28-12-2010, 15:22
Not an owner but maybe a sort of director of football responsible for transfers, contracts maybe even choice of coaching staff. It seems that role is more popular in Italy, holland, Spain, Germany. I think that could be a good addition to FM.

dafuge
28-12-2010, 15:29
This idea gets brought up quite often, so there is obviously a decent amount of support for it. It's not for me though, I've no interest in playing like that.

Maooam
28-12-2010, 15:54
I would like an option to play as a director of football. Deal with the transfer market and finances, but not with training and match day tactics.

Quads
28-12-2010, 16:10
I would like an option to play as a director of football. Deal with the transfer market and finances, but not with training and match day tactics.

this. please SI

jim owen
28-12-2010, 16:11
Who cares if it called football manager i want it, i also want the ability to drive an f1 car in the game maybe i should start a thread with a poll like that which has nothing to do with the game like the OP did /sarcasm

Ty
28-12-2010, 17:06
Why am I always suprised that there is support for this idea from other lunatics. :confused:

santy001
28-12-2010, 18:04
One thing I would like, is if the team you put as your favourite side ever enter financial trouble you can give them money. Various people have done discreet things for the clubs of their choice in the past, managers more rarely but thats because in the past managers have been paid much, much less. However, if Aberdeen were in need of a few grand to stave of administration I think Ferguson would put his hand in his pocket to stump it up.

keeper tom
28-12-2010, 18:17
Football manager is called Football manager for a reason but would love a seperate owner/chairman game to come out but cant see that happening :(

shelton
28-12-2010, 18:29
If you want a owner/chairman game play FIFA Manager but please leave Football Manager alone.

iamweesel
28-12-2010, 18:40
I'd also rather we buy and own a club and run a different sport too, like F1 or something. It is realistic after all, can't beat that.

hugo_rune
28-12-2010, 19:21
I'd love more depth added to ownership structures, boards, chairmen, etc., if only for making the simulation of that side of the game more realistic, but not at the expense of other features of the game. It's probably best if they keep manager as the only playable job, though.

Carmi88
28-12-2010, 20:41
can SI please release a chairman version of FM just to see it quickly flop in sales and the idea be abandoned forever? :D

DSYoungEsq
28-12-2010, 20:53
I, personally, have been waiting for FM Water Boy to come out. I'm reasonably certain I'd be successful with that one! Though there might be that second-season drop off! :eek:

Mojby
28-12-2010, 21:03
No, No, No and no again.

This is just as rediculous as being able to be the chairman. Totally useless idea and one which so many threads have been started, shot down in flames and closed.

Koki
28-12-2010, 21:36
Come on, I think you're a bit hard on those who would like to see this option, there are quite a few of them considering how often these kind of threads are created. What would you lose if this was actually implemented? You wouldn't have to use it. You could say that the development time could be invested elsewhere but come on, how many features are there that you never use? It won't make that big a difference but it would add something to the game for those who want this feature.

toon army 06
28-12-2010, 21:58
No, because it would be really boring.

Day 1, hire a manager, set a transfer budget.
Days 2-365, do nothing.
Day 366, set a transfer budget.
etc.

why are people so stupid on this thinking there would be nothing to do there would be you have meetings ect and you watch the matches just like you do as the manager acept you have a manager to pick the team ect.

toon army 06
28-12-2010, 22:00

oh sorry i mean 2012

toon army 06
28-12-2010, 22:04
And do what exactly? The manager in FM already controls wages, staff and transfers. So what's left to do apart from hire a manager, and occasionally say yes or no to their requests?

Basically, FM already allows you to do the interesting aspects that a chairman deals with (at the expense of realism I might add), so I honestly cannot see any reason why a "Be A Chairman" feature should be added in this series. If you want to build your own stadium and have a shedload of useless gimmicks thrown at you, FIFA Manager is in your local gaming shops bargain bin as we speak.

Unbelievably stupid idea. Next one will be Groundskeeper Manager 2012 I guess. Keep the grass short, organise the sprinklers, cover the grass if snow is forecast...

in football manager the chairman sets the budgets.

kingjericho
28-12-2010, 22:06
that's a good idea, but for another game

Cougar2010
28-12-2010, 22:06
why are people so stupid on this thinking there would be nothing to do there would be you have meetings ect and you watch the matches just like you do as the manager acept you have a manager to pick the team ect.

People aren't stupid, they simply recognise within the limits of FM an owner would have very little to do and if you want to just watch matches there are plenty in RL.

toon army 06
28-12-2010, 22:09
http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/PChx88tuabhwpmuhaf/Director_of_Football_-_Ally_McCoist

Enjoy.

when did thet mccoist game come out

cruyff14
28-12-2010, 22:10
Go buy FIFA manager if you want to play with the burger prices.

SCIAG
28-12-2010, 22:12
Watching matches would be a poor second best to actually managing. My main FM11 save is with England, so I watch a load of matches to get an idea how the young players are doing. I tend to get bored if there isn't an English player doing well, and leave at half time. I think I'd get bored even quicker if I wasn't going to do anything with the information I received.

As for board meetings, I really can't see this being exciting enough to string a game together.

I used to support this idea, but as soon as I realised how little there is to do, I stopped supporting it. I remember once pushing someone on what features would be included, and he suggested "doing the paperwork".

Ryds
28-12-2010, 22:14
I'd like there to be an addition in 2012 for the role of stadium car parking manager.

You have to make sure that the car park is nice and clean before the match, then you can watch the match, then you have to make sure that the car park is nice and clean when everyone leaves. Sometimes you might have to hire/fire some car park attendants and raise the price of parking every now and then. And you would also have to make sure that the bronze plaque in the chairman's parking space is nice and shiny so everyone can see his name. And you would have to think of the best place to locate the burger van.

I think this would really add to the game and I'm surprised it hasn't been implemented yet.

Lazaru5
28-12-2010, 22:57
I'd like there to be an addition in 2012 for the role of stadium car parking manager.

You have to make sure that the car park is nice and clean before the match, then you can watch the match, then you have to make sure that the car park is nice and clean when everyone leaves. Sometimes you might have to hire/fire some car park attendants and raise the price of parking every now and then. And you would also have to make sure that the bronze plaque in the chairman's parking space is nice and shiny so everyone can see his name. And you would have to think of the best place to locate the burger van.

I think this would really add to the game and I'm surprised it hasn't been implemented yet.

+1 :thup:

hehe :D

Kenco
28-12-2010, 23:48

I'm not stupid, I have a job and go to meetings already. I don't want to do this in a game because meetings are boring. How exactly do you envisage these meetings going anyway?

Would you really watch all the games? I would also find that frustrating because I have no control over the proceedings.

I'm sure this type of game would be a novelty at first, but people will get bored quickly because there really isn't much that can be done with it.

Lazaru5
29-12-2010, 00:00
the only way this could work would be 'owner/manager' ala Barry Fry (and even then the stuff we don't have anything to do with would still have to be done by the AI - we'd just be 100% secure in our jobs)

Tubey84
29-12-2010, 00:54
in football manager the chairman sets the budgets.

I erm... I didn't say otherwise. :S

Indi75
29-12-2010, 01:08
Um, no. "Football Manager" not "Football [insert current fantasy here]" for me thanks.

yadda
29-12-2010, 02:13
Don't really see the point. Some of the older management games from yesteryear worked like this. They were rubbish. I'd much prefer SI concentrated on other things that would make the core point of the game, management, better. Plus, anyone who buys a club just to manage a team is a tool.

AndyRich
29-12-2010, 02:47
I do, because I have made this happen on editor before, although it took a while to set up, it was a really fun option in the game, and I loved building a club from scratch.

However, I don't, because the realism factor will drop considerably. It is unheard of for an entirely new team to be created in this day and age.
Also you would have to delete teams, or move them down in the league system to make the leagues work, as you cannot have more than 24 teams in and npower division and 20 in the prem. So a team from each league would need to go down a division, depending on which league the new club are to start in.

All in all, i think this is a nice feature for an experimental player, but it is hassle for the creators which will waste time for improvements of the proper game. This one should be left to the editors if the so wish to do this :)

phnompenhandy
29-12-2010, 04:33
Um, no. "Football Manager" not "Football [insert current fantasy here]" for me thanks.

Aw, surely you'd buy 'Football Club Tea Lady '?

Why is this thread still going???

toon army 06
29-12-2010, 06:55
I erm... I didn't say otherwise. :S

you said its up to the manager about wages ect.

toon army 06
29-12-2010, 06:56
I do, because I have made this happen on editor before, although it took a while to set up, it was a really fun option in the game, and I loved building a club from scratch.

However, I don't, because the realism factor will drop considerably. It is unheard of for an entirely new team to be created in this day and age.
Also you would have to delete teams, or move them down in the league system to make the leagues work, as you cannot have more than 24 teams in and npower division and 20 in the prem. So a team from each league would need to go down a division, depending on which league the new club are to start in.

All in all, i think this is a nice feature for an experimental player, but it is hassle for the creators which will waste time for improvements of the proper game. This one should be left to the editors if the so wish to do this :)

who the hell said anything about creating a new team.

edgar555
29-12-2010, 08:00
you said its up to the manager about wages ect.

No, he quite clearly said that the manager 'controls' the wage budgets. Didn't mention anything about setting them.

WH
29-12-2010, 10:17
I can never understand why anyone is worried about spending the managers earnings. Buy The Sims and pretend your guy is a football manager when he is not wetting himself because you forgot to tell him to go to the toilet.

stevvy
29-12-2010, 11:12
No. It's called Football Manager for a reason. As an owner, you'd have diddly squat to do in the game. You'd be bored to tears within 5 minutes. Owner/manager? No. That's happened how often in real life? Once? Twice? No more than a small handful of times I'm sure. Absolute no no for me.

Robioto
29-12-2010, 11:28
No, Football MANAGER.

Blacksquare
29-12-2010, 11:48
Why are you people so intolerant? Why must I be denied something because you don't like it? If you don't like it, simply don't use it. Most clubs are run like a director of football than a simply coaching manager style.

MrPompey
29-12-2010, 11:57
i would this this feature added it would be great to have the choice to start a carrer as either a manager or owner.

being an owner would be great i think it would take the game to another level there no loss in trying it out. football is big today with owners being in the spotlight more.

This is a management simulation not an owners simiulation so I cant see how this would work. What would you do as owner, attend board meetings, watch the games from the directors box go bankrupt - not for me fella

WoGiTaLiA
29-12-2010, 12:56
I love the idea but it would be a completely different game and really isn't something that can be added on top of the current game.

Essentially a "Football Owner" game would require the same basic game only it would be the managers and other staff that would have to act as the players. As it stands the stats of a manager have next to no affect on the game, your own stats seem to be remarkably random as to what they show and the other managers seem to do no better or worse dependent on their stats.

For this to work you would be putting a large chunk of the game into picking the manager and the results would be almost entirely dependent on them, as an owner you could influence managers to purchase certain players but in the end it would come down to veto powers and that is about it if your manager is no good.

If it could be well made it could be a great game as the owner is involved in a lot of things, you could still watch the games(lets be honest here, that is 95% of what you do IN game as a manager anyway so that side of it wouldn't change, you'd certainly have the stadium issues but this would be a complex part of an ownership game but is almost irrelevant as a manager, picking a manager would be a big deal but realistically would be something you hope to do maybe every 10 seasons and the manager would be in charge of the vast majority of other staff hires. Other things involved would be seeking sponsorships and the activities related to that, setting up feeder/parent club relationships.

Basically owner mode could be a great separate game but is just so separated from what is currently in Football Manager and how it is designed that it makes no sense to try and interweave it, it is about as loosely related as if you tried to weave being an individual player into it at the other end, sure there are parts of that being able to work in place but the vast majority of it is lacking.

Just my thoughts on it, the idea itself is not a stupid or invalid idea but the reality is that it is just not possible as the game is currently created, especially if it is to run at the same time as the management aspects.

I do like the merits of the idea suggested above that you should be able to buy a club with your earnings and retire to become the chairman of that club. That is a cool idea that would take very little time to implement into the game, you already have the takeovers, it would just be a case of using your wealth which is also tracked to dictate the status change of the club you takeover. Making it be a forced resignation removes any other issues that come up.

Kenco
29-12-2010, 13:02
Why are you people so intolerant? Why must I be denied something because you don't like it? If you don't like it, simply don't use it. Most clubs are run like a director of football than a simply coaching manager style.

It's a poll, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Eugene Tyson
29-12-2010, 14:20

No you're missing the point.

You retire and you put your entire career savings into another club.

So say for example you're finishing up playing a career game and you're manager at say Espanyol. And you reach 75 years of age or something. Then you hit the RETIRE button.

At which point you're asked which club you'd like to invest your cash into (your entire career savings).

Then you add a Manager and take over that club. Thus that club having a wealth of money from your previous career. But you start as a new manager.

You click on the clubs profile and the chairman would be your former self.

But you still be manager, just the career money you've built up is invested into the club you've taken over.

Indi75
29-12-2010, 14:55
Aw, surely you'd buy 'Football Club Tea Lady '?
Why is this thread still going???

I dunno, they'd need to add a certain level of depth. Range of sweeteners, brands of sugar, buying power.... if we can't make an ultimatum over chocolate hobnobs being bought in for example I can't see me playing. ;)

heathxxx
29-12-2010, 15:49
The last occasion I can remember (though I'm sure there's other examples people may offer), was Ron Noades at Brentford, chairman and manager of the team for a while? Some time ago that though, right?

Although perhaps a "novelty" idea, I don't really think it would have much of a place in FM. Personal opinion of course.

Arkas
29-12-2010, 15:57
Why?Because we would like SI to spend money and focus somewhere else rather than trying to add those sucky features

tim justice
29-12-2010, 16:04
lets not add this, this isnt anything against this idea in particular, but lets aim for something that isnt broken in some way next year, yeah?

SCIAG
29-12-2010, 16:16
The last occasion I can remember (though I'm sure there's other examples people may offer), was Ron Noades at Brentford, chairman and manager of the team for a while? Some time ago that though, right?

Although perhaps a "novelty" idea, I don't really think it would have much of a place in FM. Personal opinion of course.
Niall Quinn was briefly chairman (though not owner- more Bruce Buck than Roman Abramovitch) and manager at Sunderland, before realising he couldn't manage, sacking himself and appointing Roy Keane.

No you're missing the point.

You retire and you put your entire career savings into another club.

So say for example you're finishing up playing a career game and you're manager at say Espanyol. And you reach 75 years of age or something. Then you hit the RETIRE button.

At which point you're asked which club you'd like to invest your cash into (your entire career savings).

Then you add a Manager and take over that club. Thus that club having a wealth of money from your previous career. But you start as a new manager.

You click on the clubs profile and the chairman would be your former self.

But you still be manager, just the career money you've built up is invested into the club you've taken over.
The problem with that is that most football managers, if not all, don't earn enough to buy the football club they are working for, let alone invest in it once they had purchased it. Look at it this way- Mourinho earns 100k a week (for example) and Real Madrid pay total wages of 1.5m a week (again, just say). That means Mourinho would need to work for 15 years to cover the wage bill for 1 year, and somehow not spend any money for 15 years, which isn't realistic. There wouldn't be any funds for transfers beyond player sales, as the vast majority of football clubs run at a loss, and most of those that don't, simply don't spend much money. It's inevitably going to be a bad move to make yourself chairman, unless you're prepared to invest in and subsequently manage a club much further down the league chain and then see your chairman step aside when you get promoted.

If you're that desperate, use the "make me chairman" file to make it likely that a chairman of your chosen name will take over the club in the future.

Eugene Tyson
29-12-2010, 16:44
It's just for a bit of fun. Afterall you do accumulate wealth in the game. Why not put it to use in investing in a club once you reach a certain age? Granted it doesn't happen too often or if at all; but what would be the harm in having a bit of fun by investing in a club?

toon army 06
30-12-2010, 00:30
No, he quite clearly said that the manager 'controls' the wage budgets. Didn't mention anything about setting them.

thats the thing he does not control them the owner controls how much he can get ect if any.

edgar555
30-12-2010, 01:00
thats the thing he does not control them the owner controls how much he can get ect if any.

The chairman decides what the budget will be, this is 'setting the budget' and is decided based upon the predicted turnover of the club.
The manager decides how to spend this budget, hence 'controlling the budget'.

GB68
30-12-2010, 01:27
I've said no, mostly not because it's such a bad idea. More so, that SI should concentrate on getting the game right, rather than adding another in-depth level. This years game is only mediocre, and needs a lot of work to be even on a par with FM10, let alone improve on it.

So, basically, get the basics right, then think about other options.