FM Ipod - The things we love

Ive read a few threads on here, some give great impressions, others make me aware of issues... the whole spectrum as it were. But I think its worth having a 'Things we love' thread about the game as, well I love it :D

Anyway some things from me:

1 - Speed! I love the pace of the game even with the maximum amount of leagues loaded. You can fly through seasons if you wish, it brings me back to the glory days of CM and being able to churn out a season with the minimum of fuss but always knowing that any success or failure is caused by what you do in game.

2 - Simplicity - relates to the above, but again it brings back that feel of buy/sell, pick XI and play. If you never played CM1 thru CM94/95 on the Amiga (or PC if you were rich ;) ) then this game has that feel to it, but retains the modern outlook of the latest games and incorporates the good that was in greats such as 97/98 or 01/02.

3 - Just one more game - ive not had this feeling with the latest FMs, yes I buy them yearly and always enjoy them... but they dont really cater for my way of playing (the simple way) the modern FMs are more indepth (and rightly so as gaming has evolved) but I dont want to evolve with them as time restricts me and the way I enjoy games prevents me. SO, FMH is the perfect recipe... and once you are on a run you dont want to put it down and yes im also one of those 'dont go to bed on a defeat' players... so FMH can reduce those long nights.

4 - Interface - getting used to this now, at first I was all fingers and thumbs, but thats because im new to the Touch. However now I can just drag my selections etc its nice having it all there on a few screens.

5 - Realism - OK yes its simpler than its bigger brother, but it still retains realism. You dont get silly scores each week, you dont get stupid transfers, its still the same old realistic (As it can be) game underneath the hood, so you can be immersed into the season or career you are having.

Ive waffled and probably overlapped in areas and maybe forgotten others... but if you havent got the game, give it a go, its well worth the few quid :thup:

I really don't know why it's so impossible to do updates for PSP. Maybe it's unusual to have patches for PSP games but any game give you the option to check for updates on the PSN network. It must be policy by SEGA/SI/SONY rather than technical issues. Should this year's FMH PSP be the last one, I really would hope for a golden patch that leaves us with a near flawless last version of the game. The PSP still has the edge of being editable in the data/logo section.

• SI Staff
Marc, any idea what sort of timeframe you are aiming for with the iPhone update? I know it prob won't be til at least near the end of Jan to include the latest transfers so are we looking at sometime in mid-Feb?

I'm hoping to get a series of updates out supporting the game, hopefully the first will be some time in January but its obviously dependant on how the QA for the changes I've implemented over the christmas period goes.

I'm hoping to get a series of updates out supporting the game, hopefully the first will be some time in January but its obviously dependant on how the QA for the changes I've implemented over the christmas period goes.

To get the update then, will we have to buy another app for £6.99, or if you've already got the game, can you download it for free, or cheaper than £6.99?

• SI Staff
To get the update then, will we have to buy another app for £6.99, or if you've already got the game, can you download it for free, or cheaper than £6.99?

As with last years iPhone game all the Application updates until the next seasons edition will be free, your phone will let you know when ones available and you simply click to get the update.

This isn't to discount the possiblity of there being optional in app purchases as part of an update at some point in the future - for example possibly for adding additional leagues and suchlike; please bear in mind this is just something I'd like to do and unlikely to happen in the short-term (because of the requirements for licences, legal checks and so forth apart from anything else - thus this probably won't happen this iteration, but I wanted to mention to stop anyone jumping up and down later on) ... one of the reasons such a thing might potentially happen in this manner isn't just 'money grabbing', it'd give us a real visibility as to whether anyone actually wants to play in a specific league setup or whatever, implementing such things take a lot of time and effort and tbh presently we never know for certain quite how many people actually use them and obviously implementing them in this manner would help us guide our future development more efficiently towards areas which are of interest to people.

What I can indicate is that the actual iPhone application game update (ie. bug fixes, game engine tweaks and any new game features) will be free.

The thing I love most about the i-phone version versus the PSP versions I’ve played in the past is the tactics, and player instructions. I always found it a chore to go into each players record and tinker with his passing/tackling etc... – it just didn’t seem realistic. The i-phone version where you can basically assign an attacker, to be a ‘poacher’ or whatever is far better, and far more realistic in terms of the instructions that a manager would give a player. For example where you have a Defensive Midfielder, its way better giving him a role as ‘Ball winning midfielder’ rather than going into his record, changing his tackling, changing pressing etc etc... The little info tabs that tell you what each type of instruction mean on the i-phone version are ace as well.

Archived