Unlikely managerial appointments, or ones that just amuse you in FM

From a real world perspective or an in game one.

Chelsea have just made Mick McCarthy boss in the 5th season, following the sacking of Avram Grant. Who replaced Marcelino who replaced Mancini who replaced Ancellotti. The first two though are the ones that amuse me. Though I can understand them. McCarthy had done well at Wolves(was top for most of the 2nd season, eventually slipped to 5th place), then took over at Everton half a season later and did better than Moyes had done. So it wasn't beyond the realms of possiblity that they'd take a punt after his stock had risen. While I'm sure most Chelsea fans like Grant, which may have helped him. Though all he'd acheived was mid table mediocrity with the Hammers.

Mancini left City to take the Chelsea Job, then as mentioned got sacked, before taking teh Man City job again(I made a thread about it before)

Marcelino has been at both those two clubs, after an average then good couple of seasons at Villareal, not sure he'd earned the chance at those clubs to be honest.

Nesta is managing Fulham. Bugger was a coach for me at Liverpool then took the Fulham job, and then slagged me off before a match. Cheeky beggar!

Also, while I'm only 4 1/2 seasons in, feel free to ask me about any other developments if you're interested. :thup:

My favourite? Benitez sacked after ~6 months at Inter (and who said FM isn't realistic!), then after he's had about a year sunning it up on beaches, he gets re-hired by Liverpool! So full of optimism, they've completely neglected to mention his previous failings at the club. He's sacked at the end of the season. :)

My favourite? Benitez sacked after ~6 months at Inter (and who said FM isn't realistic!), then after he's had about a year sunning it up on beaches, he gets re-hired by Liverpool! So full of optimism, they've completely neglected to mention his previous failings at the club. He's sacked at the end of the season. :)

Ha, that's excellent. He lasted till January 2013 on mine, though was pretty bad throughout! Now at Real Madrid since the start of the season, though only because I declined the offer! I wonder if I'd taken it, he'd have got the Liverpool job.

Just checked, at Inter finished 5th and 6th, then 7th in his sacking season. Currently taking La Liga by storm in a whopping 8th place! Needs to stop following Mourinho!

On my save there has been a season or two long period of like four managers (Laudrup, Grant, Mancini and someone, might have been five of them) being sacked and replacing each other. It was truly bizarre, Mancini would get sacked from Man City, only for Grant to take over – leaving the Liverpool job open for Laudrup who recently left Chelsea or some other club which was then taken over by, you guessed it, Mancini. Now this was not a one off thing, these three or four guys have been getting sacked and taking over after each other for many months. Some sort of secret society or club I guess.

Oh yeah and Benitez being appointed Capello's successor. Yeah.

New appointments on mine. Giggs is Everton Boss. He was a Youth Coach at Fulham, then was a coach at Arsenal before replacing McCarthy at Everton!

And Olic is now Bolton boss. Played for me for a season, retired when I released him, became a Spurs coach, before replacing Curbishly at the Reebok.

Can't think of any particularly in my own save (apart from Mancini leaving City for Liverpool...), but one thing's for certain, I don't envy anyone taking the Port Vale job.

In season one, Paul Merson took the job on, but couldn't steer them away from relegation to the Blue Square Premier. After a poor start and hovering above the relegation zone, following defeat against my Telford side, he was given the boot. In their wisdom, they promoted their youth team coach Mick Ede, to the managers hot-seat. He's been in charge for 14 games with a record of W:8 D:4 L:2 and has taken them up to 11th in the table. Indeed, their overall run of form compared to other teams, could actually see them make the play-offs.

That's not enough for the Port Vale board it seems and already "Sack looms over Port Vale boss" is in the headlines. Poor bloke has turned the side around and still faces the chop. Looks like the club will be on it's third manager this season soon...

Chelsea finish fourth in first season and sack Ancellotti but do so a week before they take part in the Champions League Final!!!

Mancini hired, puts 'champions league winner' on his CV, and then gets sacked within 5 months.

Moyes then Chelsea manager.

Also in 2034 Valencia is managing Valencia :p

Can't think of any particularly in my own save (apart from Mancini leaving City for Liverpool...), but one thing's for certain, I don't envy anyone taking the Port Vale job.

In season one, Paul Merson took the job on, but couldn't steer them away from relegation to the Blue Square Premier. After a poor start and hovering above the relegation zone, following defeat against my Telford side, he was given the boot. In their wisdom, they promoted their youth team coach Mick Ede, to the managers hot-seat. He's been in charge for 14 games with a record of W:8 D:4 L:2 and has taken them up to 11th in the table. Indeed, their overall run of form compared to other teams, could actually see them make the play-offs.

That's not enough for the Port Vale board it seems and already "Sack looms over Port Vale boss" is in the headlines. Poor bloke has turned the side around and still faces the chop. Looks like the club will be on it's third manager this season soon...

That's suprising, anyone following paul merson looks like a genius! :p

Sam Allardyce gets sacked from Blackburn, I hire him as my assistant, during the first patch, he sticks with me for a good 5 years and serves me well. Then the opportunity to manage Plymouth who have become a decent team cause there youth products r effin amazing, in his first season, he sells basically the whole decent youth prodigys, comes second with whats left, and then starts slagging me off after 5 years of what I thought was a decent partnership.

I MADE HIM WHO HE WAS!!!!!!!!!!

Sam Allardyce gets sacked from Blackburn, I hire him as my assistant, during the first patch, he sticks with me for a good 5 years and serves me well. Then the opportunity to manage Plymouth who have become a decent team cause there youth products r effin amazing, in his first season, he sells basically the whole decent youth prodigys, comes second with whats left, and then starts slagging me off after 5 years of what I thought was a decent partnership.

I MADE HIM WHO HE WAS!!!!!!!!!!

thats happened to me before! i was at ipswich and seeing as im from southampton i got nostalgic and hired jo tessem as my assistant. i spent 3 years making him the man he was, then he went to stoke and started slagging me off... then beat stoke 4-1 and he was fired in 9 months... not sure whether that made me happy or sad!!

also i got shearer at aresenal... doesn't seem right...

On my save there has been a season or two long period of like four managers (Laudrup, Grant, Mancini and someone, might have been five of them) being sacked and replacing each other. It was truly bizarre, Mancini would get sacked from Man City, only for Grant to take over – leaving the Liverpool job open for Laudrup who recently left Chelsea or some other club which was then taken over by, you guessed it, Mancini. Now this was not a one off thing, these three or four guys have been getting sacked and taking over after each other for many months. Some sort of secret society or club I guess.

Oh yeah and Benitez being appointed Capello's successor. Yeah.

Secret society. Brilliant. :D

I'm only in my 3rd season as Southampton manager, but the managerial merry-go-round on this save has had me chuckling at times and left me dizzy trying to keep up.

First Arsenal sacked Wenger, and hired Javier Aguirre. He got off to a shocking start and has since been replaced by...wait for it... Sam Allardyce! Yes, the beautiful game will reign at the Emirates. Not!

Arsene then ended up at Man City after they sacked Mancini. Carlo got the chop from Chelski, who then nicked David Moyes from Everton. Moyes had a shocking start (14 games in - 17th in the league), so they chopped him and brought in the managerial genius of...Dave Jones. You'll be playing like Barca in no time, Roman...

Shearer took over from Moyes at Everton, Avram took over from Hodgson at Liverpool after Roy left for England. And Phil Brown left Middlesbrough, 2nd in the Prem, for Villa who are 16th.

And round and round we go...

2nd season... Grant took over Man City

Mancini took over Chelsea and is playing the 451 with 2 DMs :D

Wenger seems to have randomly quit Arsenal and Aguirre has taken over

Hodgson got sacked and left for Spurs and Redknapp went the other way and is now at Liverpool :D

A bunch of regen managers are taking over lower league clubs

1st season. Liverpool sacked Hodgson 4 games from the end of the year and the dominoes fell strangely. Mancini left city in 4th place to take liverpool who were 9th, redknapp walked out on table topping spurs to take the city job. Allardyce got the spurs jobs and led them to lose the league.

After the season Man U sacked Ferguson and Bruce got the job. Sunderland turned to Zola as replacement. Earlier in the season Moyes walked out on Everton in 8th spot to take Villa who were in a relegation scrap, everton got laudrup. Blackburn appointed Shearer and Newcastle appointed curbishley. Also sacked were managers of wigan, west ham and west brom.

Pretty cut-throat season and a few odd decisions.

Inter -> Man City -> Liverpool on my save.

Did a game where i sacked all the Premier League managers then holidayed for a couple of years to see what would happen (game has since been lost so ill just say the ones i can remember off the top of my head)

Blackburn - Alan Shearer

Chelsea - Gary Neville!!!!

Man Utd - Mike Phelan

Man City - Frank Rikjard

Oh and Ryan Giggs was manager of England withJohn Terry managaing the under 21's

1st season. Liverpool sacked Hodgson 4 games from the end of the year and the dominoes fell strangely. Mancini left city in 4th place to take liverpool who were 9th, redknapp walked out on table topping spurs to take the city job. Allardyce got the spurs jobs and led them to lose the league.

After the season Man U sacked Ferguson and Bruce got the job. Sunderland turned to Zola as replacement. Earlier in the season Moyes walked out on Everton in 8th spot to take Villa who were in a relegation scrap, everton got laudrup. Blackburn appointed Shearer and Newcastle appointed curbishley. Also sacked were managers of wigan, west ham and west brom.

Pretty cut-throat season and a few odd decisions.

To be fair, the bit in bold would happen IRL if they threw enough money at him - disloyal **** of the highest order!

Now that's entertainment

In 2031:

Carlo Ancelotti leads England to their first World Cup since 1966 in 2014 after Capello retires. Emile Heskey takes over as England manager in 2024 and leads them to the World Cup final in 2026.

Spain have hired Jose Mourinho and Roberto Mancini (twice).

Steven Gerrard takes over League one Brighton in 2017 and leads them to the Premiership where they become a title challenger, and is now a club legend.

John Terry is at his second stint of managing Aston Villa after beginning his managerial career there, before managing Everton and Sunderland.

Cristiano Ronaldo started his managerial career at West Ham and is now manager of Manchester United!

Romelu Lukaku is managing Wigan.

and those would be signing Fernando Torres, Pepe Reina, Mascherano, keeping Gerrard at the club when he was destined for Chelsea. Agreeing with the board to bring in Dalglish as a Director of Football so as to have an association with the fans. Giving countless amounts of money to the Hillsborough and Rhys Jones Memorial Funds. Ensuring that fans were once again proud of Liverpool FC. Winning the Champions League and making it to the final another time. Placing Liverpool 2nd in the league the highest they have ever been and will likely be judging by current predictions.

All those who slag off the guy are either jealous or dumb. I can admit bad transfer buys but as bad as Konchelsky or Poulsen? Don't think so.

Archived