Players unhappy at lack of discipline at the club

What exactly does this mean? In 3 seasons I've had a handfull players approach me with this complaint. While I'm not a drill sergeant, I don't think I let my players off too easily either if I catch them under-performing. If they're not training well and are under 30 years old, I always have a private chat with them to let them know they gotta step it up. So what gives? What do I need to do to make this complaint not come in anymore?

Maybe I'm delighted too often, but only with players scoring above 8.5 or whatever. I think it's due to give praise when they perform that well. I'm definitely not too easy on them after bad performances, I never "sympathise" with them or some bs like that, I always let them know when their performances aren't acceptable. I just don't understand what they could possibly want from me. Like, if they had been unhappy with my tactical knowledge I would have understood where they were coming from, but discipline? No, I don't get it.

I've just had this after refusing to fine my LB for getting sent off in the local derby. I was certain that his actions didn't warrant a red card, so just issued a warning to him. I have now had 2 players come to me concerned with the lack of discipline within the squad, I have spoken to them both and 1 is now happy to be working with me, the other not so. I think it is exactly what it says on the tin....players seeing a lack of discipline in the club.

It can be tricky to manage discipline sometimes. Personally I like players to retain an aggressive side to their game, but this attribute can sometimes drop following warnings and fines that are accepted by a player, following a dismissal.

On the flip side, you don't want your team to lack discipline or become worried by what they consider a lack of discipline.

My preference is to warn a player for the first sending off, fine a weeks wages for the second, then two weeks wages for the third onwards.

You do also have to be mindful of their attributes and the instructions you give them. If you've got a player with high aggression but poor technical ability when it comes to tackling and poor mental attributes that relate to his timing of challenges, yet you set him to tackle hard, or use the aggressive tackling option with the OI's, then you're also partly to blame for any bookings or red cards.

When preparing for a match, look at the referee stats to see if they're potentially a harsh referee. If they seem so, try being a little more cautious. If your player is conceding a lot of fouls during a game through tackles, then try using the "stay on feet" shout, or reign his tackling instructions back individually.

I should add though, that if a player is sent off for violent conduct, then I usually go straight for a one or two week fine. Sometimes it can result in a negative outcome in response from the player, so you may need a little luck or caution depending on the player's personality.

Yeah it seems to be a double edged sword, as I recall last season I fined Dani Alves for being sent off too often and had him wanting to leave the club immediately. I somehow talked my way out of it as I could not accept losing a player of his calibre over a silly dispute like that.

Maybe it doesn't matter too much, even if they get a "poor opinion of you", it always goes away after a few days and if you have a good talk with them, the fickle little bastards all of a sudden feel they have a good relationship with you. In the end none of it seems to matter too much.

Archived