This season goes from bad to abysmal

Already playing terrible for no apparent reason. Struggling to win 1-0 if we are lucky, conceding 4 at home if we aren't.

Now this happens, 1-1 after another shocking display. Gets to 80:07 as you can see from the clock in the evidence below. Botia stops on the ball and then waits for 2-3 seconds, then he boots it into the head of the oncoming attacker, and his partner runs in to slot it home. It's getting ridiculous now. Yet another save file I am going to have to delete because of outrageous things happening.

Starting position

botia1.jpg

Then

botia2.jpg

Another loss. How do I plan for that? No he wasn't tired and I haven't got any Act Like A Complete Prat setting on. The guy that done it has 12 passing, 14 composure, 16 concentration, 12 first touch, 16 anticipation.

Seriously, another thread? Maybe you should accept that you're just not that great at this game if you're "Struggling to win 1-0 if we are lucky, conceding 4 at home if we aren't". And now you're deleting the save because a defender made a mistake? Honestly, just give it up.

Who cares?

I think we're all tired of it, every little thing that causes you a problem you make a thread about.

I have not visited this forum in quite a while. I see that it is still a hostile place. A zoo. If you are having trouble playing the game and need some friendly advice, forget it. The official FM forum is not the place to get help playing FM.

I gave up on this game several versions ago, partly because of the hostility of this forum.

Are there any moderators here?

I have not visited this forum in quite a while. I see that it is still a hostile place. A zoo. If you are having trouble playing the game and need some friendly advice, forget it. The official FM forum is not the place to get help playing FM.

I gave up on this game several versions ago, partly because of the hostility of this forum.

People who want to accept help receive they help they look for, people who constantly post that the game is cheating them (and won't respond to constant questions), like the OP, will soon find themselves on the wrong end of some sharp responses.

As, probably, will you, for making wrong assumptions. :)

We're happy to give friendly advice, but this guy starts a thread whenever a player makes a mistake or he loses a game, it's just too much! The first time he posted, everyone tried to help, and he ignored all the help, and then just keeps making these pointless threads! It's just clogging up the forum with his moaning

ok, I'll bite...

do you have the defender in question set to run with ball rarely, sometimes or often? Do you have him set to make forward runs rarely, sometimes or often? do you have him set to make short/mixed/direct or long passes? do you have him set to hold up play? have you given him a lot of creative freedom or even more than a little? is his mentality set at defensive, normal or attacking? does he have any PPM's that could have caused him to make this mistake? What is his decisions rating?

any and/or all the above could be the problem... there is also the possibility that he was nervous, complacent, just having a bad game, etc or maybe he has a hidden attribute that contributed to him making the mistake...

before you come onto the forums complaining about something, ask yourself what might have been the reason? is it something you can alter? (90% of times, yes it is)

I'm sorry you're having such difficulties with your season, but if you can't seem to develop a basic tactical structure that suits your needs, then you're more than welcome to ask questions in the Tactical forums or even download another set of tactics that have been created by someone else.

Also, just understand that this forum is here for everyone not just you. It's great you're trying to gain tatical knowledge BUT please do so in the appropriate forum as well as try and limit the amount of threads regarding your "problems".

This is getting rather tiresome.

Also, I notice Sheva, never replies in his threads, just starts them. So, I think he is just baiting for the sake of it. Now, hopefully, he'll put the game away and go play WoW or whatever. Go bother their foras.

ok, I'll bite...

do you have the defender in question set to run with ball rarely, sometimes or often? Do you have him set to make forward runs rarely, sometimes or often? do you have him set to make short/mixed/direct or long passes? do you have him set to hold up play? have you given him a lot of creative freedom or even more than a little? is his mentality set at defensive, normal or attacking? does he have any PPM's that could have caused him to make this mistake? What is his decisions rating?

any and/or all the above could be the problem... there is also the possibility that he was nervous, complacent, just having a bad game, etc or maybe he has a hidden attribute that contributed to him making the mistake...

before you come onto the forums complaining about something, ask yourself what might have been the reason? is it something you can alter? (90% of times, yes it is)

What I'm annoyed about, is how he stood still for ages, and then booted it into the attackers face. He had so many other passing options. It was really silly. He could have done all sorts of other things. And he isnt bad at anything really. He is a top defender apart from that. Hes not a Titus Bramble. He wasnt even under pressure.

Has anyone considered that maybe he just got closed down by an opponent who was close enough to do so? Its football. Just remember those 1-0 wins are worth exactly the same number of points as any other scoreline.

No, Look at the first screen shot. That is actually about another 2 seconds after he first received the ball.

He got it from the other centre back, took a touch, then stood still, waiting for the defender to come over, then he kicked it into his head.

No, Look at the first screen shot. That is actually about another 2 seconds after he first received the ball.

He got it from the other centre back, took a touch, then stood still, waiting for the defender to come over, then he kicked it into his head.

Well the 2 passing options that we can see, both are covered, admittedly he could have played a quick 1-2 with what a guess is your DM, but Botia isn't a 1-2 kinda guy, so I think he just didn't quite know what to do and then had his clearance closed down. I honestly don't see the issue. Upload a pkm if you want. And show us your league table.

What I'm annoyed about, is how he stood still for ages, and then booted it into the attackers face. He had so many other passing options. It was really silly. He could have done all sorts of other things. And he isnt bad at anything really. He is a top defender apart from that. Hes not a Titus Bramble. He wasnt even under pressure.

yes, but if his passing is set to 'long' (for example) and the only available pass is 'short' he's looking for the long pass (because that's what you've told him to do) and if one isn't on...

if his passing is set to short, then maybe there's some other reason why he didn't give it to the guy in front of him... (I listed quite a number of possibles...)

I can't even begin to give you a definitive reason why he did what he did, only you as his manager can discover that and then only you can make the necessary adjustment so that he doesn't do it again!

Well the 2 passing options that we can see, both are covered, admittedly he could have played a quick 1-2 with what a guess is your DM, but Botia isn't a 1-2 kinda guy, so I think he just didn't quite know what to do and then had his clearance closed down. I honestly don't see the issue. Upload a pkm if you want. And show us your league table.

As I say, he had about 4-5 seconds in total. He had ages to launch it if he really had to, or he could have gone back to the keeper. He did not have to wait until the guy was right in front of him and then boot it into his face.

As I say, he had about 4-5 seconds in total. He had ages to launch it if he really had to, or he could have gone back to the keeper. He did not have to wait until the guy was right in front of him and then boot it into his face.

Sometimes people do stupid things. Get over it. This game is not out to get you. You must have the thickest skin of anyone. Every thread on this subject you open people batter you and yet you never actually see it do you? Are you that deluded to think that everyone else is wrong all the time and you are right? If it was just one or two people then you'd maybe wave it off, but its not. And a lot of the time its some of the most respected posters on here, and yet time and again you just let it go over your head.

Merry xmas.

You very quickly get used to it. I'm really not interested in who is 'respected' here.

I realise I should not bother making these sorts of topics but I cant help myself.

I'm sure your not interested in anything but yourself, but there is a reason that they are respected and its because they know what they are talking about.

You can't help yourself? You went to the trouble of going into paint to illustrate your histrionics, that shows some degree of intent and self control.

Control and self restraint is shown by every other poster who doesn't start a new thread every time they lose a match.

It's a joke frankly, most forums don't put up with this repetitive nonsense, it's called trolling and you get banded for it. Why Sheba is allowed to repeatedly post utter drivel is beyond even my wildest imagination.

No doubt yet again my advice will be ignored but:

He couldn't go back to the keeper because your tactics define that he looks forward and picks a man out.

We'll go over it again - you have tactics that encourage your players to pass the ball forwards quickly & directly. Botia isn't the greatest (I know, I had in in my team on FM10 for a few seasons), he panics and in this case he can't find a man to pass to within the passing range & mentality/risk level that you have set him. He waits until the last possible moment hoping to find a man before attempting to clear the ball upfield. Ok you were unlucky with the rickashay and bounce but these things happen from time to time when you play the tactics you do.

you have tactics that encourage your players to pass the ball forwards quickly & directly. Botia isn't the greatest (I know, I had in in my team on FM10 for a few seasons), he panics and in this case he can't find a man to pass to within the passing range & mentality/risk level that you have set him. He waits until the last possible moment hoping to find a man before attempting to clear the ball upfield. Ok you were unlucky with the rickashay and bounce but these things happen from time to time when you play the tactics you do.

I saw you try and tell me what my tactics were in that other topic that got closes. Why do you assume I want to pass it quickly and directly? You just assumed that because you seem to think I am some sort of awful manager that just clicks it onto Overload and hopes for the best. Anyway, I don't do that, and if I didn't, why would he dally on the ball for 5 seconds, 2-3 of that is him stood completely still.

And Botia is a very good defender. One of the best now actually. All the top clubs wanted him in the summer. I posted some of his key stats in the opening post. 12 passing, 14 composure, 16 concentration, 12 first touch, 16 anticipation.

That's far from panicky.

I saw you try and tell me what my tactics were in that other topic that got closes. Why do you assume I want to pass it quickly and directly? You just assumed that because you seem to think I am some sort of awful manager that just clicks it onto Overload and hopes for the best. Anyway, I don't do that, and if I didn't, why would he dally on the ball for 5 seconds, 2-3 of that is him stood completely still.

And Botia is a very good defender. One of the best now actually. All the top clubs wanted him in the summer. I posted some of his key stats in the opening post. 12 passing, 14 composure, 16 concentration, 12 first touch, 16 anticipation.

That's far from panicky.

Your right I am making some assumptions but experience tells me I am correct. Other people that have had your problems in the past have had similar styles of tactics and suffered the same problems. They on the other hand have taken the advice on board and learned to improve their tactics by identifying when that style isn't working.

and btw I don't think your the sort of manager that clicks overload, I simply think you have a tactic that can be poor against defensive counter attacking teams. Your problem is either you simply lack tactical understanding or you struggle to understand how the orders you give on the tactics screen manifest themselves on the pitch.

As for Botia as good as he looks on paper when it comes to matches a lot of the time he seems to underperform and make mistakes. I know this because I watch my games (Extended highlights, normal speed), every one and get to know my players. On FM10 I watched close to 100 matches that he played in.

His creativity is only 9 which means he can only really spot basic passing options(and he has two open players on that SS) what might happened is that depending on your passing setting he hesitated and when he decided to clear it he just got closed down and lost the ball.

Or he just screw*d up, it happens :)

Your right I am making some assumptions but experience tells me I am correct. Other people that have had your problems in the past have had similar styles of tactics and suffered the same problems. They on the other hand have taken the advice on board and learned to improve their tactics by identifying when that style isn't working.

and btw I don't think your the sort of manager that clicks overload, I simply think you have a tactic that can be poor against defensive counter attacking teams. Your problem is either you simply lack tactical understanding or you struggle to understand how the orders you give on the tactics screen manifest themselves on the pitch.

As for Botia as good as he looks on paper when it comes to matches a lot of the time he seems to underperform and make mistakes. I know this because I watch my games (Extended highlights, normal speed), every one and get to know my players. On FM10 I watched close to 100 matches that he played in.

Well, you got it completely wrong either way, I very very rarely play a fast direct way. I try to play a slow, short, game. I try and get everyone with high passing, decisons and creativity.

And what are you saying abotu Botia then? he has absolutely horrendous hidden stats, or that he is just a really unlucky guy destine to fail? That was the first time ever he has done something ridiculous for me. He could have changed massively since FM10, probably has. And why did you play him in 100 matches if he underperformed lots of times?

His creativity is only 9 which means he can only really spot basic passing options(and he has two open players on that SS) what might happened is that depending on your passing setting he hesitated and when he decided to clear it he just got closed down and lost the ball.

Well he has 10 creativity for me which is decent for centre back. It's not a 2 or anything.

It was just a little mess up in the ME, as no one would ever do that IRL. That was the main complaint of the topic btw. The ME is not perfect. Something silly happened, or at least it looked very silly on the 3D pitch.

Well he has 10 creativity for me which is decent for centre back. It's not a 2 or anything.

It was just a little mess up in the ME, as no one would ever do that IRL. That was the main complaint of the topic btw. The ME is not perfect. Something silly happened, or at least it looked very silly on the 3D pitch.

Well then you should have said that in the OP as opposed to 'another save file that I have to delete because of ridiculous things happening.'

Well, you got it completely wrong either way, I very very rarely play a fast direct way. I try to play a slow, short, game. I try and get everyone with high passing, decisons and creativity.

Ok, whatever you say, you know best......

And what are you saying abotu Botia then? he has absolutely horrendous hidden stats, or that he is just a really unlucky guy destine to fail? That was the first time ever he has done something ridiculous for me. He could have changed massively since FM10, probably has. And why did you play him in 100 matches if he underperformed lots of times?

While I initially judge players on scout reports/attributes screen I get to know a player by what they do on the pitch. Some players in FM seem to play worse than there attributes suggest, some better. Botia is a player that seems to underperform when compared to his attributes, maybe down to hidden attributes, maybe just how his attributes combine.

Why did I play him in nearly 100 matches (I was Roma btw)? Well he was a DRC and most of his appearances were in the DR position where cover was provided by the DCs. At DR he lacked a little creativity going forward compared to my other DRs but he was a bit stronger defensively.

See, these are the comments that rile people Sheva.

Of course its happened in RL as has every other "example" you've posted over the last three months.

I'd be asking why the right back and central midfielder were moving away from him. He's got his back to the other DC and DL, but the two easy options move upfield, allowing the opposition to block off the passing lanes. The DC is looking at the DR, but he makes a run behind his marker, killing off the passing option. It looks like he is on a very attacking mentality with FWRs Often (or Wing Back / Attack).

As I mentioned in your previous thread, the lack of a holding player in midfield is the second problem. He'd have held position and ensured the man on the ball had an easy out pass, rather than backing up the pitch and allowing the Milan player to step between him and the ball player. It looks like he's on mixed FWRs, which encourages him to step upfield.

You can see the DC has turned away from the first passing option (DR) and is looking in front for a second, only to find that is also blocked. He's no idea where the other defenders are as he's had his back to them the whole time. He tries to clear, but it ricochets off the closing down attacker and bounces into the space between the DCs.

Please stop mentioning that Sheva starts a lot of threads. If you don't like a thread, don't post in it, and it will fall away.

Sheva, this is very weird, and I feel sorry for you. I'd be fuming if my defender did that.

Appalling response from a moderator. You can't just use that argument to any terrible poster who feels the right he has to make a hundred threads about his poor misfortune. If this was the first thread he'd made nobody would really probably mind, but this guy moans about absolutely everything.

Someone needs to tell this guy to grow up, not encourage him to continue posting threads because one day he had eight clear cut chances and only scored two of them.

Ok, whatever you say, you know best......

While I initially judge players on scout reports/attributes screen I get to know a player by what they do on the pitch. Some players in FM seem to play worse than there attributes suggest, some better. Botia is a player that seems to underperform when compared to his attributes, maybe down to hidden attributes, maybe just how his attributes combine.

Why did I play him in nearly 100 matches (I was Roma btw)? Well he was a DRC and most of his appearances were in the DR position where cover was provided by the DCs. At DR he lacked a little creativity going forward compared to my other DRs but he was a bit stronger defensively.

Well, yes. Of course I know best about what tactics I choose myself.

Your points about Botia hold no water. He is a good defender for me, and if he is a liability I want to see what everyone else is.

See, these are the comments that rile people Sheva.

Of course its happened in RL as has every other "example" you've posted over the last three months.

Nope, never has.

You are welcome to find an example of a defender getting the ball, taking a touch. Then standing completely still for 3 seconds (which is a LONG time in top level football), before just booting it into someones head.

I'd be asking why the right back and central midfielder were moving away from him. He's got his back to the other DC and DL, but the two easy options move upfield, allowing the opposition to block off the passing lanes. The DC is looking at the DR, but he makes a run behind his marker, killing off the passing option. It looks like he is on a very attacking mentality with FWRs Often (or Wing Back / Attack).

As I mentioned in your previous thread, the lack of a holding player in midfield is the second problem. He'd have held position and ensured the man on the ball had an easy out pass, rather than backing up the pitch and allowing the Milan player to step between him and the ball player. It looks like he's on mixed FWRs, which encourages him to step upfield.

You can see the DC has turned away from the first passing option (DR) and is looking in front for a second, only to find that is also blocked. He's no idea where the other defenders are as he's had his back to them the whole time. He tries to clear, but it ricochets off the closing down attacker and bounces into the space between the DCs.

I've just had a look in more detail actually, and its worse than I first thought!

The guy that closed down Botia, was actually tackled to the ground 6 seconds or so before. So this is how it played out...

Astori (DC), tackles Seba(SC), who falls to the ground.

Astori plays 6-7 yard pass to Botia.

Botia takes touch forward.

Botia stands still for 3 seconds, meanwhile Seba gets off the floor, runs 6-7 yards and closes him down.

Botia, on his left foot for some reason, kicks it into his head. Even though he was right footed and there were options down the right.

Look at the play when Botia had his first touch.

capturemt.jpg

I know it looks there a bit like Seba is charging at him. He is not. He doesn't close him down for another 4 seconds at least. From that position, Botia takes the touch, then stands still for ages. As you can see Botia has many options, regardless of what I have told him to do. He has all manner of distances and tempos of passing available. And of course, he can always hoof it straight up or into touch.

Nope, never has.

You are welcome to find an example of a defender getting the ball, taking a touch. Then standing completely still for 3 seconds (which is a LONG time in top level football), before just booting it into someones head.

best example i can think of is rio ferdinand, can't remember who against, one of the "then" top for, collected the ball, player was closing him down and he attepted to chip the player and completely fluffed it.

this is rio ferdinand im talking about, a guy who never does tricks and is a no nonsense defender.

unfortunately i have no idea where/when it happened =/

Appalling response from a moderator. You can't just use that argument to any terrible poster who feels the right he has to make a hundred threads about his poor misfortune. If this was the first thread he'd made nobody would really probably mind, but this guy moans about absolutely everything.

Someone needs to tell this guy to grow up, not encourage him to continue posting threads because one day he had eight clear cut chances and only scored two of them.

Massively agree with this post.

It is relevant to mention the constant spamming of the forums, so as to educate those that don't realise that Sheva is a massive moaner who cries more than a little girl.

If he actually answered all the salient points rather than the ones he chooses then we might get somewhere but if a question or comment is too challenging it will be ignored.

I still want to know the answer to post 33.

Then how did the ball hit the attackers head, if the defender didn't do anything?

I meant he didnt do anything flamboyant, like a chip. Its not like the whole thing went to pot because of my defender over complicating things. He just stood still for ages, then went crazy at the end.

Well were your players set to time waste? Get over it mate these things happen, people make mistakes look at rob green in the world cup?

No. I was 1-1 against a crap side. Of course they werent

Rob Green was also very different.

Its not like my player missed the ball, or fell over. Its the fact he took 5 seconds just, most of which was spent stood stock still, just to kick into the defenders head.

I meant he didnt do anything flamboyant, like a chip. Its not like the whole thing went to pot because of my defender over complicating things. He just stood still for ages, then went crazy at the end.

Ah, alright. Stuff happens sometimes. I've experienced worse. Both for me and against me.

Just forget about it and move on. Best thing you can do really.

I agree. Sheva is creating multiple threads that are virtually identical. That's called spam, yet there's a moderator defending him

Whilst responses like that aren't trolling?

SCIAG made a valid point. If you're not interested in a topic created by a particular forum member, you're able to choose whether to read it or not, post in it or not, add them to your ignore list, or not.

The fact that people choose to enter a thread and criticise the OP for whatever reason, is no better than the belief that user is creating "too many" threads, is it not?

Simply put, you don't know if we've spoken to the OP or not. In the meantime, if you're not interested in what they have to say, then don't read the threads or post in them. It really is that simple.

Archived