Well that's an interesting interpretation lads...

Has anyone else found this? I know team talks work differently for different personalities, but a few of my players seem to interpret my words in very strange ways.

For example, my box to box CM regen seems to think "Pick up where you left off" means "Quick, go out and try and kill one of the opposition and make sure you get sent off inside 5 minutes". He's done this 3 times now, so I refuse to tell him to keep up his form, and just hope he does it by himself.

I also have a striker that thinks "I have faith in your ability" means "If you could miss every chance that comes your way today, that'd be great". Obviously, I've altered my team talks to stop these happening, and it's an interesting experience trying to find the right remarks to suit new players.

Anyone else had any similar experiences?

Ah I remember that one, I always go for "don't let your performance drop" when I'm in that position. At least that seems to be "I don't want any more goals, and if you could try not conceed more than 1, that'll be just fine", rather than pleased which was just "Right defenders, your jobs done, fancy a nap?"

Has anyone else found this? I know team talks work differently for different personalities, but a few of my players seem to interpret my words in very strange ways.

For example, my box to box CM regen seems to think "Pick up where you left off" means "Quick, go out and try and kill one of the opposition and make sure you get sent off inside 5 minutes". He's done this 3 times now, so I refuse to tell him to keep up his form, and just hope he does it by himself.

I also have a striker that thinks "I have faith in your ability" means "If you could miss every chance that comes your way today, that'd be great". Obviously, I've altered my team talks to stop these happening, and it's an interesting experience trying to find the right remarks to suit new players.

Anyone else had any similar experiences?

Funniest thing ever.... lol/../

The best thing to do is to apply as little logic as possible.

For instance, if a player is under pressure, don't say 'no pressure' as he'll be 'confused, too relaxed, demotivated' etc. Or, if a player is 'complacent', don't tell him 'expect a performance' as he'll be 'stressed'. :D It may seem as if I am exaggerating or making these up but, actually, both have happened to me in my FM saves!

Sometimes, it just makes no sense at all. It's like a multiple choice quiz where sometimes even the 'right' answer is wrong and results in a loss! :rolleyes:

Don't even start me on the 'we can win' team talk, which often results in the totally random 'seemed demotivated' effect. So gamey, so rubbish, so annoying. :mad:

The best and only way I have found to manage it is by using Wolfsong's team talks guide (see tactics forum). It's fairly realistic sounding, logical and generally gives good results. :thup:

I read a thread where a guy said to start with "you have faith" to all your players, I tried it and we were both nervous and garbage... how did that guy win anything? :confused:

Whereas my team respond to that with 'fired up' / motivated etc. Different personalities react differently

I did "I have faith" on all my players for a bit as Tottenham manager. Worked very very well. But I think once expectations and morale builds up, it becomes less useful. Maybe it worked cos Tottenham have a youngish squad.

Nowadays I mostly go for the bog standard, "For the Fans", and I expect a win sometimes against poor oppoistion at home.

Never ever do "You can win this", unless we are drawing/losing against decent sides at HT.

It would be really good if someone from SI could give us some clarification on this. There must be some logic to it. At the moment it is total pot luck, which is not realistic. Its also silly how 90% of the time they dont listen to you either way.

It would be really good if someone from SI could give us some clarification on this. There must be some logic to it. At the moment it is total pot luck, which is not realistic. Its also silly how 90% of the time they dont listen to you either way.

I feels that it's realistic though, just like how Balotelli never listens and acts like a total idiot even though Mourinho is one of the best managers. Every person interprets and responds differently to your words in different situations, because you don't really know what's going on in his mind. It would be fake and boring to have people respond to your speech the same way every single time.

In my MAN UTD save I generally ask "for the fan". Being in big club help their and player know that they have 2 perform to stay. If I am not sure of the next result especially against bigger or similar team, i state "win it."

I occasionally ask some of my best performing player to "perform" against good teams. It works well for me. My squad personality is very determined/professional.

Archived