••• FM 2011 Commentary Pack V2 •••

The FM 2011 Commentary Pack

Current version: 2

Released: Friday 24th December 2010

New lines added for this release: 400

Version 3 release is scheduled for: 31st January 2011

New lines added for Version 3 (so far): 107

What is this?

This pack replaces the original ‘events’ file in FM 2011 with changed commentary lines that display at the foot of the screen on match days. It’s an on-going project which has the ultimate aim of replacing and/or adding to the original lines that are provided with the original Sports Interactive FM 2011 game.

What languages is it written in?

Currently, the pack contains English commentary only and it will not work if any other languages are selected for your game play. We would like to be able to issue the pack as a multi-language one but translating the lines is beyond our capability.

Will this work with earlier versions of Football Manager?

The short answer is probably not. The longer answer is that if you are using FM 2009 for example, the game can’t read the extra lines included in FM 2011. This might cause your game to crash as a consequence. If anyone would like the commentary pack adapting for earlier versions, just PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Can I suggest some lines for inclusion?

Yes of course you can, and please feel free to do so. We would ask that any submissions be kept clean and non-racist or offensive in any way. Also, try to avoid events that may be happening in the real football world today as, whilst they may be apt and funny now, they will quickly become outdated and inappropriate.

Does this mean I can’t ask for “They think it’s all over” for example, to be added?

Something of this nature is different and has to be considered a classic football quote so yes, this kind of thing would be okay to submit.

Please bear in mind though that, owing to the structure of the events config itself, it may not be possible to include some suggestions. As an example, asking for lines that relate to the start of the second half are not possible as there are no original lines for this in the game. Generally speaking, we can only change lines, not add them if they don’t already exist.

Do I have to start a new game to use this?

No you don’t. Once you have it installed, all you have to do is load up Football Manager and the new lines will show up.

Do I have to install any previous updates first then this one?

No you don’t. Each update includes all the previous ones so you only ever need to install the current version available to use the pack.

Sounds good, where can I get it from?

You can download the current commentary pack from here:

Filefront Downloads so far: 566

http://www.filefront.com/17719303/Events.rar

Mediafire Downloads so far: 227

http://www.mediafire.com/?ukidbrmxnddh85h

Sendspace Downloads so far: 25

http://www.sendspace.com/file/y5brxs

Okay, I’ve downloaded it. Now what do I do?

First of all, you’ll need to unpack it with Winrar or a similar application. I advise unpacking it to your desktop or some other easily accessible place.

Once you’ve done that, you will have a file named ‘events’. Now this file needs to be put in your events folder. The location of this folder depends on how you installed FM 2011.

1) If you’ve installed FM 2011 ‘out of the box’ (not via steam) and you have no updates installed, then you need to follow this path:

•• C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2011/data/events ••

Once you have your events folder open you have two options. Either copy or move the downloaded events file into the events folder and let it overwrite (replace) the original file already there.

If you don’t want to overwrite the file (you may want to change back to the original if you decide you don’t like the download for example) then just rename the original to something like events2. This will then make the downloaded file the ‘active’ one – the one that will show in your game. Now load up FM 2011 and you’re away.

2) If you’ve installed FM 2011 ‘out of the box’ (not via steam) and you have Patch 1110 installed, then you need to follow this path:

•• C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2011\data\updates\update-1110\events ••

3) If you’ve installed FM 2011 ‘out of the box’ (not via steam) and you have Patch 1120 installed, then you need to follow this path:

•• C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2011\data\updates\update-1120\events ••

4) If you’ve installed FM 2011 via steam and you have no updates installed, then you need to follow this path:

•• C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2011\data\events••

Again, you can choose to overwrite or rename the original events file as you wish.

5) If you’ve installed FM 2011 via steam and you have update 11.1 installed, then you need to follow this path:

•• C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2011\data\updates\update-1110\events••

There will be no original events file in this folder so just put your downloaded events file in here.

Where do I install when I have an out of box copy and 11.2 installed?

I'm not too sure about this to be honest, I only install via Steam you see and don't know anyone who installs from the DVD.

Try this path though and see if it works: C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2011\data\updates\update-1120\events

I'm not too sure about this to be honest, I only install via Steam you see and don't know anyone who installs from the DVD.

Try this path though and see if it works: C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2011\data\updates\update-1120\events

This should be the correct folder. Similarly, if you still have 11.1/11.1.1 installed, try: <Your Main FM installation folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2011)>\data\updates\update-1110\events

First off, thanks for doing this! Muchos props.

Just wondering if there is any way to see what sort of lines have been added?

Yes, there is. Just right-click on the downloaded event.cfg file and open with notepad/wordpad/editplus etc.

@ Seafire: Installing it now. By the looks of it, it's really well-done and quite entertaining. Kudos!

BTW, I just noticed, your events file is about 1/6 times in size of the original events file, and has 1/6 times the number of lines in it. What's up with that? Is it because the original file contains about 14 languages and your's just english? In that case, yours seems to have more english lines than the original one. Have you added extra lines to existing events, or added extra events as well?

clonerohin1

Yes, the file is smaller because it contains only English language lines.

I can't add extra events to the file, I can only add extra lines to the existing events. Having said that, it's possible to give the impression of a new event by re-wording an existing event but you have to try and retain the same kind of meaning.

For example, I adapted some Half Time comments to read as 'Half Time Analysis' reports and similarly, some Full Time comments have been adapted to read as a 'Full Time Comment with <team>'s Manager' - both of which have proved to be quite popular with most users of the commentary pack.

More 'new' events of this nature are on the planning board for future releases but for the time being the intent is to change every original SI line (no offence to the guys who've done the originals by the way).

clonerohin1

Yes, the file is smaller because it contains only English language lines.

I can't add extra events to the file, I can only add extra lines to the existing events. Having said that, it's possible to give the impression of a new event by re-wording an existing event but you have to try and retain the same kind of meaning.

For example, I adapted some Half Time comments to read as 'Half Time Analysis' reports and similarly, some Full Time comments have been adapted to read as a 'Full Time Comment with <team>'s Manager' - both of which have proved to be quite popular with most users of the commentary pack.

More 'new' events of this nature are on the planning board for future releases but for the time being the intent is to change every original SI line (no offence to the guys who've done the originals by the way).

Good to know. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Would it be possible to get a file that contains the original lines + CP V2?

I'll be really busy over the next few days but on the 27th/28th I'll have a few hours to myself so I'll combine the files then for you and make it available for download. Is that okay with you mate?

I'll be really busy over the next few days but on the 27th/28th I'll have a few hours to myself so I'll combine the files then for you and make it available for download. Is that okay with you mate?

Wow, yes of course. Nice christmas present :) Thanks a lot!

great job, thanks a lot for your work. I'm enjoying it very much, it's interesting to read some fresh phrases :)

PS english isn't my native language, so i can't give you adequate feedback regarding bugs etc, hopefully everything is okey there :p

Great, downloading now.

One thing I came across: There is a text saying something like "he'll be looking to complete his hattrick" - it sometimes appears after a goal in injury time, which makes it quite unlikely that the player will add another goal to his tally. I don't think that there is much you can do about it, just wanted you to know.

Great, downloading now.

One thing I came across: There is a text saying something like "he'll be looking to complete his hattrick" - it sometimes appears after a goal in injury time, which makes it quite unlikely that the player will add another goal to his tally. I don't think that there is much you can do about it, just wanted you to know.

I'm aware of those lines like that and I hung on them for a while before including them if the truth's known.

I agree that it may be unlikely that a player would score again in injury time. But I consoled myself that it's not an altogether impossibility, and the player concerned would certainly be looking/trying to score again. It's one of those 'fine line' things in the end, much like the (in)famous line that says '<player> kicks the ball into row z' but in actual gameplay it may just trickle over the line!

Anyway mate, your good point has given me some food for thought. Maybe I'll do a re-write of those lines for the next release or just remove the 'can he get a hattrick now' bits.

I like this pack, except for the "analysis" at halftime and after the match. I just want to get on with it. Anything I can edit to take this out?

Yes.

Open the events file with Notepad. Hold down the Ctrl key and press the F key. In the window that opens, enter HALF TIME:

You'll then come to the first occurence of the analysis. Now you simply delete everything to remove it. For example, this is the first one:

## HALF TIME: A thrilling first half

= 794, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 1, SOUND_LIGHT_CELEBRATIONS, SOUND_WHISTLE_FOR_HALF_TIME

> 10, 3700, 50

INGAME ENGLISH: ••• Half Time Analysis •••|Well, we've seen something of a thriller so far|Both sides seem well settled in and making a game of it now|But will the match carry on like this to the end?|We'll find out in the second half when we come back

REPORT ENGLISH:

REPLAY ENGLISH:

Do the same for the Full Time ones:

## FULL TIME: Underdogs match bigger team

= 953, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 1, SOUND_LIGHT_CELEBRATIONS, SOUND_WHISTLE_FOR_END

> 10, 3700, 50

INGAME ENGLISH: ••• Full Time Comment With the <t1> Manager •••|"We knew it was going to be difficult, <t2> are a quality team"|"They're dogged, determined and have got some good players"|"But we were determined not to let the imbalance get to us today and it didn't"|"I'm very proud of my players for the way they dealt with that situation."

REPORT ENGLISH: <t1> did brilliantly to nullify <t2>

REPLAY ENGLISH:

Have to say, I like the idea of the half-time and full-time analysis; however, it doesn't appear to relate to the actual game I've just been watching and trying to control. And i somewhat resent reading comments attributed to ME when I absolutely wouldn't say anything of the sort!

Despite that, the odd spelling error and the continued inappropriate commentary for throw-ins, I am actually thoroughly enjoying the work, so thanks muchly chaps!

Have to say, I like the idea of the half-time and full-time analysis; however, it doesn't appear to relate to the actual game I've just been watching and trying to control. And i somewhat resent reading comments attributed to ME when I absolutely wouldn't say anything of the sort!

Despite that, the odd spelling error and the continued inappropriate commentary for throw-ins, I am actually thoroughly enjoying the work, so thanks muchly chaps!

Thanks for that mate, it's important for us to get likes and dislikes feedback.

On the half and full-time analysis subject, they were a product of my imagination so I take responsibilty for those! I've noticed that sometimes the text doesn't exactly reflect the gameplay but I've earmarked the ones I've personally noticed for revision. And yes, the text won't suit everyone as I've no way of knowing what everyone who plays FM would personally say. I guess it's a case of "you can't please everyone all of the time". On the other hand, I've seen the half/full time analysis thingys described as 'genius' so they will be constantly reviewed - unless enough users indicate they'd rather not have them at all.

Now, regarding the 'inappropriate commentary for throw-ins'. Would you be talking about lines like:

<player> doesn't mess about|He kicked that further than most people go on holiday

<player>'s boot connected with that|It's out of play

<player> decided to have the last say|He lashed it well out of play

<player> tries to see that one out of the ground!

<player> lashes the ball into touch ?

If not, which ones do you find inappropriate?

Your opinions on this would be most welcome mate.

Hi seafire,

It's not those ones. It's ones when the throw in is being taken. I forget the exact words but it's to the effect that 'they're in a dangerous position here' and 'what can they make of this throw-in'? when the throw in is deep in their own half or near their own goal line.

Hi seafire,

It's not those ones. It's ones when the throw in is being taken. I forget the exact words but it's to the effect that 'they're in a dangerous position here' and 'what can they make of this throw-in'? when the throw in is deep in their own half or near their own goal line.

Hi phnompenhandy, thanks for getting back to me.

Regarding the throw in texts, would it be any of these:

They've got a good chance here to make something of this throw

The ball's gone out for a throw

And that'll be a throw in

That'll be a throw in

It's gone out for a throw-in

Out for a throw, and they do have options here

Soon as we've pinpointed them, I'll set about changing them for the next version. You're very welcome to make your own suggestions too of course.

I agree with phnompenhandy, there are lines telling something as "it's a throw in, and a chanche to built up some pressure" even when the throw is near their own corner flag.. maybe something "..a chanche to re-organize themselves", or ".. a chanche to take a breather"

Which forum is that Daz?

FM Base,they dont have this on there site just thought it would be a good addition to the download section,no probs if you just want to keep it on here ive been using the first version of this and its a great addition to the game much better than the standard commentary,im actually waiting for patch 11.3 before i start a proper save so this V2.0 will come in very handy cheers

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/247394-FM11-RELEASED-3d-Match-graphics-by-DW420-aka-DaWeed420?highlight=phnompenhandy

Have a look at this thread. FM-Base are the people who are stealing other people's hard work and passing them off as their own. Personally, i'm blacklisting them, but if you do put something there, please ensure you clearly credit the creators.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/247394-FM11-RELEASED-3d-Match-graphics-by-DW420-aka-DaWeed420?highlight=phnompenhandy

Have a look at this thread. FM-Base are the people who are stealing other people's hard work and passing them off as their own. Personally, i'm blacklisting them, but if you do put something there, please ensure you clearly credit the creators.

i agree with what your saying i have seen examples with skins not being credited to the creators and have in fact made replys/comments on those certain threads telling them to credit the creator and pointing out that its not there work so others will know exactly this when they read the post/thread etc,there are lots of scammers and pirates claiming that its there own work on alot of forums not just FM-base but i for one am not and would always give credits to the creator/s and seek to ask permission from these before posting any files,its highly unfair to tarnish all FM base members with the same brush saying there ALL stealing other peoples work

Other than filtering and approving the uploads as best we can, how are we responsible if our members steal work? We try to make sure anything that has been stolen does not get approved, but files will always make it through. In most cases those files are quickly identified by our members as stolen work and are unnaproved and then credited correctly or deleted.

Take your slander elsewhere please phnompenhandy. I am Jake; a Super Mod on FM-Base and i really don't like your attitude in this thread or the one you linked. The case you highlight in the thread you linked was dealt with and our approval system has now changed. I am now partially responsible for approving files. I don't approve anything graphical unless it is posted by a known graphics creator, if a total newbie uploads some professional looking graphics they usually aren't approved as plagiarism is suspected, daweed's graphics uploaded by someone else clearly slipped through (we have hundreds of files uploaded every day by our members) and the problem was rectified as soon as we were made aware.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any concerns rather than spreading your muck accross the SI forums. http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=24935

I installed via steam and currently have V. 11.2.1 Wher do I put it with this setup? Thanks

Windows 7: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2011\data\updates\update-1120\events

Make sure to backup your original events.cfg

If memory serves me correctly, I believe an earlier version of the commentary pack (created before I joined the team) was hosted on FM Base without any problems. Whether or not this was the case - that it was hosted there - I am happy with Jake's reply on this matter and personally would have no objections to having the pack on their boards.

However, being as I am part of a team, the ultimate decision cannot solely be mine. If my partner has no objection then the pack would be offered to FM Base.

ok thanks for your reply seafire,i personally didnt see the earlier pack on fm base like i said before i just thought it would be a good addition on there,just thought maybe you could share it on there or i could with your permission and with credits soley to you and your partner if that was the case,no big deal just a thought :0)

Archived