Preventing complacency

Im managing Gedling Miners Welfare, way down in the east midlands counties league. We were predicted to finish mid table and after a great start we are top of the league. We had a good pre season which got morale up to very good generally, a cup win 4-1 and two league wins 3-0 and 5-1 all of which we were expetced to lose. Obviously if it carries on like this complacency is the risk.

What is the best way to guard against this? I have used the team talk "warn against complacency in next match" before but maybe at the wrong time becuase it resulted in a drop in morale. Most games i seem to start as favorites to lose so can i say "expect a win" in these even of the odds are against us?

I tend to play counter attack unless they park the bus and im not scoring my chances then i switch to control. Also what is it with the odds? I noticed on previous saves towards the end of the season a team can be unbeaton playing a team at the bottom and the bottom team are heavy favorites? Anyway the main point, the best way to avoid complacency please!

You can't prevent complacency in a definitive way otherwise it would be too easy.

A good way to let them understand life is not always easy is randomly cutting 2 weeks of salary, this way they will tend to consider the life not so easy as complacency may tend to render.

randomly cutting 2 weeks salary??! lol are u serious?! Wouldnt that just lead to a very unhappy squad? Ive played FM for a long time now and although i often have successful seasons and saves ive rarely been able to avoid the dip 6/8 weeks in. I often read on here people going all season unbeaten ect and to do so there must be a way of fending of complacency so...anyone know how?

I'd like a personal half-time team-talk of 'don't get careless' rather than a team one - you can see those who are not concentrating properly if you watch the full 90 and all we have at the moment is the standard 'angry', 'disappointing', 'you have faith', 'pleased' and 'delighted' and occasionally the "you can make the difference!" and "prove a point!" that only appear in certain circumstances.

I'd then like the option to fine a player if his carelessness cost us a goal (regardless of the final score) - it doesn't always say "mistake led to goal" especially if the 'mistake' was an attempted pass that didn't find it's target and the goal occurs a set time afterwards or the "pass" went out of play and the opposition score from the resulting set-play.

The pre-team talk "I expect a win" is intended to counter complacency. Also in the pre-match press conf use the option 'It's my job to keep them from complacency' (or some such). At half time you're disappointed with any complacent players. Note that if you're winning 2nd half, whatever you say, a sub will come on complacent anyway - just ignore that.

Archived