DOWNLOAD NOW - Free Unofficial Football Manager Guide

The Unofficial Guide to Football Manager 2011

Made by the Football Manager FT Community

Kfr9s.png

Dec (Admin of FMHVibe) - "A great insight into FM for any newbie to the game. Anyone who is struggling to get into the game needs to read this"

Heath (Moderator of SI Community) - "Good introductory guide to playing FM. Helpful for people wanting to get to grips with many aspects of the game."

Mike (Moderator of FMBase) - "Top class guide, Easy to understand yet incredibly informative, perfect for new entrants to Football Manager. An essential download."

descriptionp.png

Click Here to Download

Disclaimer - This content was made by the FMFT community and is all original. Please do not claim this content to be your own although feel free to distribute it, as long as FMFT is credited of course. If you have any issues with anything said in this disclaimer, please contact me via PM.

Liking it for experienced players (as reminders of basics) and new players. Easy to follow and compartmentalised nicely.

With a game so complex, SI should take a look and take a leaf out of the book for that thing they call a manual.

Thanks for the nice feedback mate.

We all know that the football manual doesn't really help with playing the actual game itself and also a lot of people aren't prepared to pay for guides. They are two of reasons we decided to make the guide.

during one of Manchester City’s games this season, Yaya Toure requested to go home after he was substituted at half time. Roberto Mancini, the manager, granted his request. This shows not only a lack of discipline but a lack of respect for the team. The player should have been disciplined for this.

LOL

Who do the guide writers think they are?

Anyway, the guide seems good for complete novices but a lot of it is spurious. Certainly not got any special information that a veteran of the game wouldnt know better anyway

during one of Manchester City’s games this season, Yaya Toure requested to go home after he was substituted at half time. Roberto Mancini, the manager, granted his request. This shows not only a lack of discipline but a lack of respect for the team. The player should have been disciplined for this.

LOL

Anyway, the guide seems good for complete novices but a lot of it is spurious. Certainly not got any special information that a veteran of the game wouldnt know better anyway

considering the number of questions you ask, you'd do well to read it yourself, than cast dispersions on it

considering the number of questions you ask, you'd do well to read it yourself, than cast dispersions on it

Quality! :D

OP: I think you'd do better to make the download a zip or rar file as pdf's open automatically in many browsers. Not had a chance to read it yet though ;)

LOL

Maybe they think they are better than 99% of FM players. I mean come on, you've got to have some arrogance to claim that :rolleyes:

Good work TT and team, will have a read when I get time.

Maybe they think they are better than 99% of FM players. I mean come on, you've got to have some arrogance to claim that :rolleyes:

You can call it what you want. Also, IIRC I didnt say I was better. I said I know more about it. Which I still think is true. I endeavour to learn as much about it as I can. And I test things a lot myself.

I did just read it.

Theres nothing in there that is paticularly insightful. I ask questions about stuff that no-one bar SI seems to know.

Absolute classic.

Are you totally blind or do you just simply choose to ignore the advice other people have given you over the last few months?

You can call it what you want. Also, IIRC I didnt say I was better. I said I know more about it. Which I still think is true. I endeavour to learn as much about it as I can. And I test things a lot myself.

If you endeavour to learn as much about it why are you writing this guide off? I've not read much yet and I would certainly class some of the info as basic/beginner level but I'm sure it will have more depth as I go through it (if not, TT, you and I will have words ;) )

And you are right I can call it what I want, tbh the post I replied to in here was very arrogant.

Sheva, I've read some of your posts over the last few days and I have seen some where you demonstrate intelligence and a fairly high degree of understanding and I feel that you could be a good contributor to these forums, but you so often make yourself out to be arrogant or a sore loser(or both), which is why people turn on you or rip you or whatever. If you consider your posting style a little bit and actually listen when people post intelligent stuff you will get along a lot better with everyone and help contribute to a nicer forum and nicer community.

LOL

"Maybe you could enlighten us with your deep knowledge and write a piece of fm2001 work that would give us some insights that a veteran (I think I am one) would find useful?

I also think, what they have done is commendable and obviously not aimed at someone as experienced as yourself, so being it is the festive season can you not be charitable and congratulate them on their efforts"!

Spurious is in an interesting word in the context of the guide, can you explain why you think it is spurious?

Thanks for all the nice comments and feedback.

On the topic of there not being any special information, I agree the guide is better suited to the new FM players or players who are struggling with the new release. What you have to remember is that FM has only been out for around 1 month and a half so even the guide writers aren't experts on the game yet.

If you endeavour to learn as much about it why are you writing this guide off? I've not read much yet and I would certainly class some of the info as basic/beginner level but I'm sure it will have more depth as I go through it (if not, TT, you and I will have words ;) )

Some of the information is pretty basic at the start of some articles, but it does get more in depth. Each guide offers a range of guides, basic information, hints and tricks.

As I said, it is a good guide for beginners.

However, it doesn't really clear any of the more debatable aspects of the game. The spurious aspects of it are when the guide writer says something that seems to make sense, but if actually taken as gospel it could easily get you into trouble on the game. Because many many things on FM are counter-intuitive and you only learn through trial and error, but the guide just says the more basic, easy to understand stuff that won't really help anyone who has already played it for a few years.

I did have to laugh at the guy critisizing Mancini for letting Yaya leave. The guy literally says Mancini was wrong, even though Mancini was a top class player and is now being paid millions to manage top class players. This guy who plays FM was actually telling Mancini he made the wrong decions. Not debating it, or saying it was possibly a mistake. He actually said his whole though process was wrong, which is just silly.

According to Merriam-Webster Online,

1: of illegitimate birth : bastard

2: outwardly similar or corresponding to something without having its genuine qualities : false <the spurious eminence of the pop celebrity>

3a : of falsified or erroneously attributed origin : forged b : of a deceitful nature or quality <spurious excuses>

None of which apply.

However, it doesn't really clear any of the more debatable aspects of the game. The spurious aspects of it are when the guide writer says something that seems to make sense, but if actually taken as gospel it could easily get you into trouble on the game. Because many many things on FM are counter-intuitive and you only learn through trial and error, but the guide just says the more basic, easy to understand stuff that won't really help anyone who has already played it for a few years.

I did have to laugh at the guy critisizing Mancini for letting Yaya leave. The guy literally says Mancini was wrong, even though Mancini was a top class player and is now being paid millions to manage top class players. This guy who plays FM was actually telling Mancini he made the wrong decions. Not debating it, or saying it was possibly a mistake. He actually said his whole though process was wrong, which is just silly.

I would agree and disagree with your first opinion. The guide obviously can't cover every single situation that arises in FM. Although what the guide does do is explain the main aspects of the game and explain how to use them well. For example, the press conference section has really helped me play recently, so much that my media handling stat grew to 100% in around 1 month. What the press conference section does is give you the information you need to handle press conferences well. What it doesn't do is tell you how to answer every question.

On the Mancini subject, whether he was wrong is debatable but I think you'll find most people agree with me and the guide on this subject.

By the way, if you like the guide please post it on twitter. We're trying to raise awareness as we'd like all FM'ers to have the guide as we believe it is an extremely useful resource!

As football fans we all take issue with decisions that are made by the pro's all day every day, you are basically saying that no one can comment on football at all, unless they've played it. Which in itself is a bit silly.

I haven't read the bit you are on about but I am guessing that they are trying to put things in an FM context. By following what you've said, none of us can comment on FM either? I wonder if Mancini plays FM? If he doesn't I'd wager that some of the top FM'ers (maybe the top 1%) would beat him on a network/hot seat game just because they know the game mechanics better.

As football fans we all take issue with decisions that are made by the pro's all day every day, you are basically saying that no one can comment on football at all, unless they've played it. Which in itself is a bit silly.

I haven't read the bit you are on about but I am guessing that they are trying to put things in an FM context. By following what you've said, none of us can comment on FM either? I wonder if Mancini plays FM? If he doesn't I'd wager that some of the top FM'ers (maybe the top 1%) would beat him on a network/hot seat game just because they know the game mechanics better.

Glad you agree with me.

What the Mancini incident was trying to get across is the need for rules to keep players in their places.

Tiger, Jedi and any others.

You are just feeding the troll, don't respond to him and he will soon enough go away.

--

Good work lads on the guide, wont be reading it myself - I am too awesome at the game already ;)

Tiger, Jedi and any others.

You are just feeding the troll, don't respond to him and he will soon enough go away.

--

Good work lads on the guide, wont be reading it myself - I am too awesome at the game already ;)

Ty, still as cocky as ever I see. Sorry, I didn't know he was a troll as I haven't been in the GD for ages.

Thanks for the feedback by the way.

Although constructive criticism is fine with any subject, I do find it disappointing when people feel the need to be critical for no sound reason.

I think the guide should be appreciated for it's own merits and as such I offered my own statement to the makers of the guide - "Good introductory guide to playing FM. Helpful for people wanting to get to grips with many aspects of the game."

I believe that it's the first time these guys have made as extensive a guide as this and it's an excellent effort. What's more, they've done it completely off their own backs, for the benefit of the community and what's more... it's completely free for people to download and share.

When I see the critics, I often wonder what you want... blood? :p

It's hardly surprising that often the most vocal critics, are rarely the one's involved in sharing advice or doing guides like this themselves - and to those I would say "put up or shut up". :)

It's a good opening effort. Well done.

The most valuable contribution is the ideas on shouts. Some really interesting usages there. I think you missed a trick on team talks. Although you have solidly summarised the basics, you haven't really captured the in context requirements of each talk.

To make the net step, I think you should proof the work a little better. There are a number of spelling and formatting mistakes which could have been avoided with some focused proofing.

All in all a worthy guide which I enjoyed reading. A very useful first effort at guide production and something you should be deservedly proud of.

To be fair to Sheva, all he pointed out was how ludicrous it is that a group of random people on the internet who play a management simulation have stated that a decision by Roberto Mancini, a real life football manager, is completely incorrect, and that their own contrary opinion is fit enough to be "gospel" in a guide for said game.

In my view, the wording should not be:

The player should have been disciplined for this.

But rather;

Mancini decided not to discipline the player on this occasion. In Football Manager 2011, the player has the choice to discipline a player who acts in a way perceived to be unprofessional by serving them with a fine of up to two weeks wages, or a warning. The balance between "Iron Fist" and "Velvet Glove" is in your hands as a manager, and it is down to you to apply your own disciplinary style into the game.

Oh, editing for this:

It's hardly surprising that often the most vocal critics, are rarely the one's involved in sharing advice or doing guides like this themselves - and to those I would say "put up or shut up".

Just to mention I have written a few guides on FM in the past, so I'm trying to offer constructive criticism, not needless bashing. :p

I don't consider FM11 as "guide worthy" at the moment though.

It's a good opening effort. Well done.

The most valuable contribution is the ideas on shouts. Some really interesting usages there. I think you missed a trick on team talks. Although you have solidly summarised the basics, you haven't really captured the in context requirements of each talk.

To make the net step, I think you should proof the work a little better. There are a number of spelling and formatting mistakes which could have been avoided with some focused proofing.

All in all a worthy guide which I enjoyed reading. A very useful first effort at guide production and something you should be deservedly proud of.

Yes. We had some trouble with grammar and spelling before but I spent around 3 hours a couple of days ago trying to fix it all so I may have missed some.

• 2 years later...

Archived