Funny Deadspin Article about FM

Not only is that not funny, it's so poorly formatted that it's nigh on impossible to read.

The target audience are evidently non-football fans, and the whole article simply utlises FM as a vehicle to mock the sport as a whole.

The only part of that whole article that raised so much as a smirk was referring to Newcastle as a "quaint medieval afterthought". Other than that, if that article is classed as comedy, then so is the static screen when a channel goes off air for the night.

I don't really get the bit which points out you watch a game you have no control over.

You have exactly the same level of control a real life manager in any sports does. You can make tactical switches, substitutions etc, but you can't go out and play it for them. Does the article want FM to be Fifa or Pro Evo?

It is worth going to the link just to see the video of "The Greatest Run in Football Manager History."

Tubey, why so serious?

Meh, the comments at the bottom of the article really ^^

I don't really get the bit which points out you watch a game you have no control over.

You have exactly the same level of control a real life manager in any sports does. You can make tactical switches, substitutions etc, but you can't go out and play it for them. Does the article want FM to be Fifa or Pro Evo?

Most* Americans and those of a similar disposition don't understand the word "subtlety" mate. ;) So yes, the audience the article is intended for find the idea of FM hilarious because you can't control the players.

* = There's a few who actually understand what football is of course, and understand that a draw isn't a ridiculous scoreline in a sport!

its pointing out the fact that you dont have direct control over every single players movement.

Id actually rather this though. I get bored on single player Fifa very quickly. Only play it with mates every now and then

This is a facile and obviously untrue statement, but it's also a profoundly true statement, so I'm going to write it down: Modern sports fans, who spend more and more of their free time consuming sports, ultimately want nothing more than to get away from the stuff. We'd rather watch sports than play sports; we'd rather watch sports on TV than watch sports in person; we'd rather play video-game sports than watch sports in any form. We'd rather follow fantasy teams than real teams.

clearly an american view, not meant to be read by outsiders as they be like WTF?! haha

That was a piece of brilliant writing. And it's obviously more subtle than even some posters here can wrap their heads around.

1) He's not criticizing the game.

2) He is criticizing what we've done to sport (at least in America).

3) He makes a VERY good point that, because you can't control the outcome directly, because it feels quite story-like as a result, it becomes a page-turner, and you can't wait to get to the end to see the outcome.

Only there is no end, so you keep on trying to make it work for you, to get a story you like.

In other words, it's entirely real, even though it's entirely unreal.

I did love his take on the conversation mechanics of the game.

and he sat down, sighed, and, not quite making eye contact with me, said, look, boss, I was probably just being overly sensitive because deep inside I'm a 10-year-old girl who learned all her emotional cues from watching Miley Cyrus date boys in trucks (game response: THANKS FOR UNDERSTANDING)
Love it. :thup:

* = There's a few who actually understand what football is of course, and understand that a draw isn't a ridiculous scoreline in a sport!

You mean a tie ;)

There might even be a few who understand the game where the two are different results. :)

Archived