European Club Coefficients Wrongly Calculated! DLR Affected?!

Bear with me here, this is a little mathy:

I'm aware that it might not be possible, or at least part of a sound legal strategy, for SI to duplicate UEFA's club coefficient calculations. So I'll start by assuming that SI have intentionally departed from the UEFA algorithm.

Nevertheless, the algorithm used SHOULD bear resemblance to the concept being modeled! That is, success in European competitions should result in improved rankings, and the relative improvement of clubs within a nation should either be equal (as is actually the case with the UEFA coefficients if the nation's participating clubs don't make it past qualifying rounds), or based upon relative results. This is most decidedly NOT true with the game!

I'll give a specific example from my current Prestatyn Town FC save. Each year, four clubs from Wales participate in the European competitions: 3 in the EURO Cup and 1 in the ECC. Last season, my Prestatyn team was the ECC team; we had the following results: W3 D2 L3. The 3 other clubs were TNS, Carmarthen and Aberystwyth, each of which was eliminated in one round, and they lost all six games in the process. The coefficient result for the year?

Carmarthen and Aberystwyth are awarded .449 pts., all other Welsh teams on the list, whether they participated or not are awarded .200 pts. That includes Prestatyn Town FC, TNS, and six other Welsh clubs, at least one of which isn't even in the WPL any more!

Needless to say, that's not even close to an accurate, meaningful result! [The proper UEFA result would, btw, be that each participating team received .2 pts: 3 pts for the three wins, 1 pt for the two draws, the total (4) divided by the participating Welsh teams (4); take 20% of that national average; since no Welsh team went beyond the qualifying phases, they only get 20% of the national average]

This has some VERY broad ramifications. If the continental rankings of the clubs in a league affect its reputation, and those are improperly calculated, then DLR is itself going to be improperly implemented. Since it appears that the game is improperly adding points to teams that don't deserve any except by virtue of already being on the list from previous years (SIX clubs from Wales in my example!), leagues with larger numbers of past European participants will be garnering even larger excess rankings. No wonder the WPL is sinking faster than a stone in my game, despite my very vigorous and successful European forays the last three years!

From what I see, the calculation of the national coefficient is correct (Wales is shown as getting 1.000 pt. for the last season). What remains unexplained is:

1) Why did Carmarthen and Aberystwyth get extra points? All Welsh teams should have done equally well, or Prestatyn should have gotten extra, but not the poorer performing teams!

2) Why are teams not participating in Europe getting a share of the spoils, just because they are already on the list of clubs who have participated the last five years?

FIX IT! :mad:

See this site for a very well-done explanation of the proper calculations

I do find it kind of funny that, when others post threads in here about how FM sucks, or Fix this at once!, etc., they get tons of input, but I offer a cogent thread about an issue of some importance, supported by statistics and evidence, and you can hear the crickets chirping. :D

I don't want to post it as a "bug" until I've had some confirmation that I'm not over-looking some simple thing. :eek:

I suspect most people

a) dont care because they will only manage man united

b) were lost after the first 3 sentances

I remember from about 6 years ago (maybe not that long) someone posted something about the co-efficents being wrong and SIs response was that they could indeed make it perfect, but they werent allowed to because they werent a uefa registed product (restricted to the Fifa games I think) and thus the exact maths used by uefa and anything that replicates it forms a breach of copyright, thus whatever system SI implement it HAS to work dofferently to real life.

Archived