What weird habits do you have in the game?

So, as the title says really.

What odd habits do you have in the game? Personally I give every player in my team a nickname, as you can see below:

robertlittleydc2ydm2ymr.png

The bit after his name probably makes no sense to you guys but to me it is so useful.

What I put after a players name tells me where they are in the pecking order for positions in my team, and a Y means that they are still a very young player and so shouldn't play in big matches, and will need to be rested more frequently than older players.

So, taking the guy above, I instantly know that he is a youth player, who is my 2nd best central defender, 2nd best defensive midfielder and 6th best right central midfielder.

Really helps me when it comes to picking my team as I can tell at a glance who is my next best available player and while it usually takes me about 90 minutes at the start of each season to get all the nicknames done, its so useful.

On a different note, does anybody reckon this guy has potential? I'm currently playing in level 8, and for this level he is great, but he needs some serious work on his mental attributes and strength, but I personally think he could be pretty useful in the future.

*EDIT* Just checked this guy out on FMRTE (I don't normally use it but I was curious) and he is currently:

CA: 55, PA: 175 - I don't know how many CA points a player can gain, but hopefully he could become good in the future

has he come through at your club, mackem, or did you sign him from somewhere else?

regardless of the answer, you won't still have him at 19/20 unless you're very very lucky!

(but interesting to see such a good prospect at such a low-level :) )

I clear selection before every match, get a member of staff to pick the team, and then edit that to my liking. I press ask assistant for OI, then edit those too.

I never buy a player that is rated as "good" or under. I would also very rarely sign somebody over 25/26.

I'm sure there are loads more but I need time to think

I also save before every match, no idea why! I think it may go back to my younger days when I used to reload if I lost :p.

I also pause the match if I need to make tactical changes, but I'm pretty sure most people would do that. I won't play a player under 90% condition, I even find it hard to pick someone under 95%

1) I never pick my team, a coach does and I then modify it, even if it means changing every player. That way if I lose it was his fault for making such stupid selections.

2) I never sign a player over 25 and aim to have no one over the age of 30 in my team (appart from keepers)

3) I try where ever possible not to pay agents anything, even if it means losing that player (unless they are so unbelievable I can't live without them)

4) I never pay what a club wants for a player and will increase my bid by .million until I find the level they will really accept.

5) I never control my pre season games

I'm sure there are loads more!

When I see some top teams bidding for some known players, I will interrupt and come out with ridiculous bid which is irresistable. Then all the bids will be rejected except mine, then I will cancel the contract offer.

When choosing my penalty takers, then things I most consider are penalty taking (obviously), composure, and what the player's goal bonus is. I never like to pay a player too much for scoring a penalty. In fact, often if I don't have a defender who's good at penalties, I'll start with my best penalty taker taking them, but if I go a goal up, I then change it to me best free taker.

In the same vein, I will almost never make a substitution after the 75th minute. I don't want to give a player their appearance bonus for only 15 minutes of football. I will however make exception to that for a loanee who I don't pay an appearance bonus too. So often if I get an injury in the 80th minute, and there's a loanee on the bench (and there usually is with me), on they come.

I clear selection before every match, get a member of staff to pick the team, and then edit that to my liking. I press ask assistant for OI, then edit those too.

I never buy a player that is rated as "good" or under. I would also very rarely sign somebody over 25/26.

I'm sure there are loads more but I need time to think

I do all of this too :)

I clear my team selection after every match. Don't know why, I suppose I'm a little O.C.D!

Ditto. Not OCD for me. But I want to choose every single position for every single match. I don't have a fixed definite XI.

Lots and lots of other stuff too.

- I look away when I get a penalty. I find that when I look more often than not it's missed.

- I buy lots of young players, especially those under 17 who have no club. Fills my youth team up nicely.

- I start players according to condition. Preferably those around 99-100%, but allow leeway if need be. Seldom below 96% though.

- I try to sub players once they drop below 80%, but pretty hard now with FM11 when almost every player does.

- Try not to sub after 70 mins (do all my subs before then), so that players get enough time to get a rating.

These are what I can remember, for now. :p

has he come through at your club, mackem, or did you sign him from somewhere else?

regardless of the answer, you won't still have him at 19/20 unless you're very very lucky!

(but interesting to see such a good prospect at such a low-level :) )

He came through my youth system. Every single other player was complete crap, but he is amazing for this level.

Also, I know I probably won't keep him for very long, but hopefully he can do a good job while we have him and will get us some decent money when he leaves. Also, you never know, if we get a few promotions back to back and get into league 2 quickly then he might be prepared to stay!

I always put the cursor between the little gap in the 'u' in 'Pause'. We'll lose if I don't!

Most people probably do this, but when one of my players gets taken out by an opponent, I throw my arms out to my side as if I'm demanding a red card from the ref, then when he does send them off I applaud.

When choosing my penalty takers, then things I most consider are penalty taking (obviously), composure, and what the player's goal bonus is. I never like to pay a player too much for scoring a penalty. In fact, often if I don't have a defender who's good at penalties, I'll start with my best penalty taker taking them, but if I go a goal up, I then change it to me best free taker.

In the same vein, I will almost never make a substitution after the 75th minute. I don't want to give a player their appearance bonus for only 15 minutes of football. I will however make exception to that for a loanee who I don't pay an appearance bonus too. So often if I get an injury in the 80th minute, and there's a loanee on the bench (and there usually is with me), on they come.

I'm the opposite to this, in that i try and make all my subs after the 75th minute, injuries permitting. I have a bad habit of only wanting players with an average rating of 7 or more and i find bringing on players before the 75th minute results in a below average rating as they obviously have less time to impact on the game. Plus its great for throwing on my youngsters at the end of games for experience without getting a rating, but hopefully building them up until they're ready for a starting place. My bench will usually consist of 3 first team fringe players and the rest my most promising youngsters and when i am comfortably winning a game i chuck the youngsters on for the last 15mins.

I always put the cursor between the little gap in the 'u' in 'Pause'. We'll lose if I don't!

Most people probably do this, but when one of my players gets taken out by an opponent, I throw my arms out to my side as if I'm demanding a red card from the ref, then when he does send them off I applaud.

Has to be in that clear space between my teams name and the tactics buttons for me! Also, must give my back up keeper the no 99 shirt, dont know why, but always do!

I have plenty.... but most my "rituals" are during matches. I have Windowed display view at all times and the mouse cursor has to be right at the top of the screen on the title bar, so nowhere on the pitch whatsoever. I watch games in TV View, and have my teams ratings widget in bottom left of screen, my teams motivation widget in bottom right of screen, and Goal Updates widget in bottom centre. 90% of games i tend to make 2 subs on the 60 minute mark, and a final sub around 75/80 mins. First rule about subs going off is anyone who is complacent, then anyone who is nervous. If that's nobdoy, then it's anyone who's condition is below 75%. If that's still nobody, then it's the lowest average ratings.

Oh, and after every game I re-enact the goals in my living room with a mini fluffy ball I have (and have always had for the last 15 years - so that's since i was 10 yrs old!) With commentary, i'm afraid... much to the amusement of my girlfriend who doesn't make a fuss even if she's watching something on telly... my commentary for games will sometimes get an eye-roll but she never tells me to be quiet :)

I burp during an opposition player's run up to take a penalty. This started many years ago when I first introduced this watching an England v Scotland rigby match. Gavin Hastings had penalty positioned right between the posts. My very audible burp caused him to miss and I've used it ever since watching rugby and football and especially FM

I seem to have a good burp to miss conversions ratio...try it and see. Works best if used during the run-up

I play my weakest side in the 2nd leg of a game if I'm winning by more than 3 goals.

Example:

I played the players who had played the least amount of games in the 2nd leg Away to Barcelona because I had trashed them 4-0 at home.

Luckily Barca only won 3-0 and I won on aggregate... phew!!

I do a number of things including always saving 3 team selections (being 1st 2nd & youth). I also sell players until i only have 22 players in my squad which are 4 strikers 8 mids 8 defenders & 2 keepers. I also always sack my assman as I never trust them so bring in my own.

It's not that weird?

I usually round up wages, so if a player wants £4,700 I will offer £5,000, just ocd like that, I have always done it. I only don't if I need to save money or its just youth players.

I do too! LOL! I cannot stand 1s, 4s, 6s, 7s and 9s, so I round up or down. :D

That's terrible OCD I reckon. :p

Every year I send my U18's to a pre-season tour of a war zone. Afghan is my current. Nooristan and Kabul FC here we come.

After a few Telic's and Herricks, fancy dan footballers with a wake up call at young age is good character building I reckon. :D

Go to Iraq and North Korea too. That'll be fun. :D

So, as the title says really.

What odd habits do you have in the game? Personally I give every player in my team a nickname, as you can see below:

robertlittleydc2ydm2ymr.png

The bit after his name probably makes no sense to you guys but to me it is so useful.

What I put after a players name tells me where they are in the pecking order for positions in my team, and a Y means that they are still a very young player and so shouldn't play in big matches, and will need to be rested more frequently than older players.

So, taking the guy above, I instantly know that he is a youth player, who is my 2nd best central defender, 2nd best defensive midfielder and 6th best right central midfielder.

Really helps me when it comes to picking my team as I can tell at a glance who is my next best available player and while it usually takes me about 90 minutes at the start of each season to get all the nicknames done, its so useful.

On a different note, does anybody reckon this guy has potential? I'm currently playing in level 8, and for this level he is great, but he needs some serious work on his mental attributes and strength, but I personally think he could be pretty useful in the future.

*EDIT* Just checked this guy out on FMRTE (I don't normally use it but I was curious) and he is currently:

CA: 55, PA: 175 - I don't know how many CA points a player can gain, but hopefully he could become good in the future

but when you buy a new player won't you need to shuffle the nicknames round again?

I simply refuse to pay what a player or agent is asking for. I haggle every time. If they don't meet my valuation, they don't come to my club.

Simples ;)

Also, I never sign a player with less than 10 on workrate, determination and teamwork.

Offer me Cristiano Ronaldo for a pound. See what I say. :D

Archived