Learning avoids weaker foot PPM

nax

I've had my assman suggesting that player X should learn to avoid using his weaker foot and another coach agrees.

I'm confused by this. Why would a coach encourage any player to only use one foot? Instantly, half his passing and shooting options are restricted. Is there something I'm not aware of?

Its if a player is mis-placing passes becuase he isnt competant in using his weaker foot and is insistent on trying, having him focus his play on his stronger foot increases the success chance of his passes, and his touches will be better.

However,

Just as you have the option to show your opponent onto "his weaker foot" so do the AI managers, an AI manager with instructions to show said player onto weaker foot will cause problems if that player has been instructed not to use that foot, he'll get him self in a "tizz wazz" and get caught out...

In my game, player X has very strong on his right foot and reasonable for his left foot. I can see a case for only using his right foot if his left foot is weak or he had an amputation I wasn't aware of. If he can use his other foot reasonably well, I think it doesn't makes sense to tell him to use only one foot.

The split seconds it takes to switch the ball over to his better foot or to move his body may mean that an available space has closed up. Its a PPM that comes with pluses and minuses. When he trains this PPM, he has to take time off from training other parts of his game and that's what is making me hesitate. His overall development is going to slow down. Its not like those no brainer PPM suggestions where my assman tells me to train my striker with 1 in tackling to not dive into tackles.

I'd like the option to train the weaker foot rather than train them to not use it.

I'm a right-footer and my left was very much for standing on only. I managed to train myself to use it to a reasonable level, eventually I could control, short-pass and tackle with my left. For a central-midfielder that was an invaluable addition to my repertoire (even though I was crap, I was a semi-two-footed crap :p)

I think a professional footballer has the ability to train their weaker foot to a better standard than I could train myself, and I'm sure that there must be occasion where they have. I don't know of any, but if there are then surely it should be an option in FM?

The only concern I'd have with training a weak off-foot is the way the game handles two-footed players vis-a-vis CA. A second strong foot eats a lot of CA, and the other attributes' development is restricted quite a bit.

I can understand that :) ... but the option would be nice. Then the manager could evaluate if he thinks the two-footedness is worth more than the CA loss.

Archived