Antonio Barragan buyback clause

I've noticed(though have no intention of using it) that on my clauses page, it says Liverpool have a buyback clause of 1.7 million for him. Even though after his initial sale by Liverpool to Real Zaragoza, he's since moved on to Valladolid. Surely as he's moved club, it no longer matters what agreement Liverpool initially had?

Am I missing something, or is this a data issue?

i am not sure, the buy back clause was set so that liverpool could buy him back in 2008 or 2011. It would depend on whether this is agreed with the player or the club i suppose. If it was with the player (eg they agree in writing that this clause must be included in any future move) then its not, if it was agreed with Deportivo (the club he moved too, not Zaragoza) then it should be in the data thread if it isnt already.

Sounds like a glitch to me. When a player moves clubs i'm 99% sure all clauses relating to previous transfers are cancelled. It definitely happens with percent of next sale clauses

but as i said, if it was agreed with the player that this must be included any future contract up until a set date (2011 in this case) regardless of club moves then it could be correct.

Basic scenario would be:

"I want to move clubs."

"we wil lelt you but it must be included in any contract that we have the option to buy you back for X amoount in 2008 or 2011 regardless of the club you are at."

"Done"

why don't you just try to buy him?

it will say on the transfer offer screen "Liverpool have a buyback clause of 1.7million" if it's still current...

you don't actually have to make the offer, it will say it right there on the offer screen

but as i said, if it was agreed with the player that this must be included any future contract up until a set date (2011 in this case) regardless of club moves then it could be correct.

Basic scenario would be:

"I want to move clubs."

"we wil lelt you but it must be included in any contract that we have the option to buy you back for X amoount in 2008 or 2011 regardless of the club you are at."

"Done"

That wouldn't be legal, and it isn't how football works.

In a transfer, there are two contracts- one between the clubs, one between the player and the buying club.

What could happen would be an agreement with Deportivo that they would have to convince any club they sold Barragan to, to include the clause in their contract with Deportivo (but with the release value being to Liverpool). However, I can't see Deportivo agreeing to that.

I can't imagine a coherent reason for Deportivo to try and convince the next club buying him to keep the clause - it's not in the interest of the selling club or the buying club, only Liverpool who no longer have any sway in the agreement.

Archived