PSP and UMD's

I was quite excited at the prospect of FM on the PSP, as recently i've had to decide between taking my laptop to play FM on or taking my PSP to play Tennis/Golf or PES on. Now i i'll be able to play FM on my PSP looks like the perfect solution.

One part i hope you've got figured out is a particular gripe about the PSP in general. Loading times.

Virtua Tennis and PES are really big offenders of this as it takes AGES to actually play anything on the PSP. Virtua Tennis for example, takes about 10-15 seconds to load each mini training game. As each training game only lasts about 30 seconds you seem to sit waiting for the game about as long as you actually spend playing it! PES is a little better, but again the amount of waiting as the game sets itself up before a match is awful.

How does FM on the PSP access the UMD? Is it a big load when the game starts with the data loaded into the RAM or will the PSP be constantly accessing the UMD throught the game?

Will we need to sit and wait for about 10-15 seconds before and after a match, or is is a smooth flowing game?

Is there a massive end of season sort out time (like in the old floppy disk days!) to load the next seasons data?

The other question i have concerns players in the database. How big is the games running database (not including greyed out players)? Are we able to look at youth and reserve teams, will there be a lot of players to scout abroad?

Any answers would be great icon14.gif

I was quite excited at the prospect of FM on the PSP, as recently i've had to decide between taking my laptop to play FM on or taking my PSP to play Tennis/Golf or PES on. Now i i'll be able to play FM on my PSP looks like the perfect solution.

One part i hope you've got figured out is a particular gripe about the PSP in general. Loading times.

Virtua Tennis and PES are really big offenders of this as it takes AGES to actually play anything on the PSP. Virtua Tennis for example, takes about 10-15 seconds to load each mini training game. As each training game only lasts about 30 seconds you seem to sit waiting for the game about as long as you actually spend playing it! PES is a little better, but again the amount of waiting as the game sets itself up before a match is awful.

How does FM on the PSP access the UMD? Is it a big load when the game starts with the data loaded into the RAM or will the PSP be constantly accessing the UMD throught the game?

Will we need to sit and wait for about 10-15 seconds before and after a match, or is is a smooth flowing game?

Is there a massive end of season sort out time (like in the old floppy disk days!) to load the next seasons data?

The other question i have concerns players in the database. How big is the games running database (not including greyed out players)? Are we able to look at youth and reserve teams, will there be a lot of players to scout abroad?

Any answers would be great icon14.gif

• SI Staff

I personally love my PSP but hate the loading times on some games on it ... with this in mind we've taken great pains to ensure that there are NO loading times during normal gameplay at all* and the startup time for the game from scratch (ie. putting the UMD into the PSP) is pretty darn fast also.

The database size varies slightly depending on the league which is active but is extensive enough that you'll find the continental competitions competitive and fun and also be able to purchase the usual gems from abroad if you know where to look.

*Only 'halt' in gameplay is at the end of a season when the game 'updates' itself and does shortlisting etc. there will be a pause of around a couple of minutes or so while it updates itself and rearranges geeky information in memory.

No loading times from UMD's icon14.gif

I was expecting the old style end of season update to be honest icon_biggrin.gif

How about the actually loading times from memory then, is there significant pause from pressing continue or navigating screen or is it quite fast paced?

Sorry to grill you so hard about loading times, but it really annoys me about the PSP (probably due to being used to cartridge based handhelds) that you spend most of your life waiting! Ideally, FM will go along as fast as my laptop does, so i can just carry my PSP around now icon_smile.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How about the actually loading times from memory then, is there significant pause from pressing continue </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The continue game pause for match processing is much much faster than you'll be used to on FM PC - its more akin to if you were playing one of our third series on management games on one of todays PC's.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> or navigating screen or is it quite fast paced? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The navigation system is instantaneous as you'd expect really (ie. no pauses moving from screen to screen).

If you do a complicate 'search' on the player search screen you may get a pause while it computes the data, but thats about it really.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sorry to grill you so hard about loading times, but it really annoys me about the PSP (probably due to being used to cartridge based handhelds) that you spend most of your life waiting! Ideally, FM will go along as fast as my laptop does, so i can just carry my PSP around now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite all right - totally understandable ... as per usual we're making the game at least partially for us to play and so the last thing we wanted was pauses in play icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Vaughan:

The database size varies slightly depending on the league which is active but is extensive enough that you'll find the continental competitions competitive and fun and also be able to purchase the usual gems from abroad if you know where to look. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Having just read the Bootroom article it seems that we're stuck to one nation's set of leagues and we can't move from say England to Spain. Is it not possible to select 2 divisions from England and then another 1 from say France, Spain and Italy totalling 5 which would be the same number of divisions if we played all the English divisions together?

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cuidado-:

player search = by name or the oldskool cm3-style player search? i guess it would be hard to type in, but surely the option should be there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The player search incorporates the usual search by attributes and factors (ie. value under £x or whatever) and does as usual contain the possibility of searching for particular people by name (using the pop-up keyboard on screen to input the name).

• 1 month later...
  • SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phio:

will the player search include an "ask assistant to filter out unrealistic targets" filter as on the PC version? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, all the usual suspects are present and correct (although its called 'Interested' instead of "ask assistant manager to filter out unrealistic targets" because of the space restrictions icon_wink.gif ).

Great!

Another item I have not seen a specific thread on, nor gleaned a clue from the screenshots is what, if any, media/player interaction is included?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Vaughan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phio:

will the player search include an "ask assistant to filter out unrealistic targets" filter as on the PC version? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, all the usual suspects are present and correct (although its called 'Interested' instead of "ask assistant manager to filter out unrealistic targets" because of the space restrictions icon_wink.gif ). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Though not really a filter, an even more space-saving way would be to show interested players' names in yellow instead of white, as in CM 93/94. icon_wink.gif But maybe that's too basic. icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Marc or whoever

One feature on old CM that at some point went away was...when you entered certain player attributes (passing, flair, crossing etc), you could then ask it to search for a fraction of those. Like if you had a total of 10 attributes selected, you could search for players with 10/10 or 9/10 or 8/10 etc etc. Will this be on handheld?

I used to love this option because you could first search for your ideal player(s) and then gradually broaden your search if required. I miss this option and feel it should be back on all versions of FM. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bbuullddoogg:

Hey Marc or whoever

One feature on old CM that at some point went away was...when you entered certain player attributes (passing, flair, crossing etc), you could then ask it to search for a fraction of those. Like if you had a total of 10 attributes selected, you could search for players with 10/10 or 9/10 or 8/10 etc etc. Will this be on handheld?

I used to love this option because you could first search for your ideal player(s) and then gradually broaden your search if required. I miss this option and feel it should be back on all versions of FM. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure this option is still in FM (been a while since I played the PC version) the only difference was that you needed to build up the filter by adding a new attribute to use in the search?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bbuullddoogg:

No it's not </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They removed it between FM05 and FM06? :S

Archived