It's really hard to become an icon/legend

In 4 seasons at West Ham, I've won 1 Premiership, 2 Champions Leagues, 2 League Cups, 1 World Club Cup and 1 European Super Cup, and I'm still on favoured personnel. I've been stuck there since I won the Champions League in season 2. Surely I should be an icon or legend by now, I'm the most successful manager in West Ham's history! I had similar difficulties getting on it with Watford in this year's game.

It seems really hard to get on the icon or legends list, I remember with Stevenage on FM10, I took them through from the Blue Square Premier to Premiership and Champions League winners in about 8 seasons and was only favoured personnel. I think this needs looking at?

Thread title - It's really hard to become an icon/legend

My response:

If it was easy, everyone would do it - how many icons or legends are there at each club?

Cesc Fabregas has been at arsenal for 5+ years, hes their youngest ever captain and hes still only 'favoured' personel.

Being thr youngest captain and leading his club to zero trophies, lucky to even be favoured personel

Based on that 90% of the clubs in the league would have no icons at all - success is not the reason why players become icons - I would list Alan Shearer and Matt LeTissier in that list - neither of them brought success to their clubs in terms of trophies, but are iconic at those clubs.

Also, based on your definition of what an Icon is, Phil Brown should be an ICON at Hull because he was their most successful manager ever - but hes not and he got sacked pretty sharpish.

Iconic status requires some longevity, 4 years most likely isnt enough. Although 8 years at stevenage is a bit unkind.

It's hard to become a legend but.. how many trophies have West Ham won in real life? Do you think it is likely that they would win all those trophies in 4 seasons?

How many league trophies have , just to say, Aston Villa, or Everton or West Ham themselves won in the last 20 years in real life?

I would like the game to be more realistic from this point of view..you're not bound to win something in real life with every random mid-table team that you pick...

By your point, would it make him an Icon if he stayed at West Ham for 20 years, one nothing, but kept them in the Premier league and mid table mediocrity?!

Actually, yes.

Not for the reason you imply tho. To manage the same team for 20 years without any real success would mean that the fans absolutely adored you utterly, otherwise there is no way you would stay in charge for 20 years.

So that manager would more than likely be an icon before he became manager, otherwise there is no way he would have the job under those circumstances for 20 years.

My initial response was a little bit sarcastic ill admit - but my main point is that the vast majority of icons are no longer at the clubs for which they are icons, and in the cases where they are, then they are truely 'iconic' figures (eg wenger and ferguson)

To be honest, being an icon at modern day West Ham should only really consist of scoring a really really memorable volley.

Would be interesting to know if the game decides on this based on an actual template or a combination of the team and its history and your achievements (i.e. you'd need to win lots at say Utd to be considered a legend/icon).

On the last FM it took 8 years of dominance with Liverpool to get me to be an icon. You might have few more years to go.

That's my point. This makes plenty of sense. Liverpool's silverware haul is massive so one or two titles wont do it. You'd need to achieve hall of fame success to push yourself ahead of Shankly and co.

What I'm saying is, it should be relative to the size of your club/their history/past success.

Let's say Avram Grant had walked into West Ham this season, qualified them straight for the Champions League. Then in his next 3 seasons, he won the Champions League twice, as well as the Premier League and 2 League Cups etc. The guy would be the most revered man in West Ham's history. Fair enough if I was managing Man Utd, Real Madrid, Liverpool etc, it should take more trophies to achieve icon/legend status, but the game needs to recognize the unprecedented levels of success you bring to a smaller club.

Thread title - It's really hard to become an icon/legend

My response:

If it was easy, everyone would do it - how many icons or legends are there at each club?

Cesc Fabregas has been at arsenal for 5+ years, hes their youngest ever captain and hes still only 'favoured' personel.

I am in a similar situation with Sevilla. In 5 seasons, i have won La Liga once, the Champions League three times, The club World championship twice, the Spanish Cup twice, the European Super Cup once, and the Spanish Super Cup once. That's ten trophys in 5 seasons. Im still only favoured personell. Fabio Quagliarella, who has been a vital player in a few of those trophy wins, is an icon. Doesn't bother me much though, as i see it as a chalenge to get to legendary status.

Archived