Two of my hot prospects are leaving on a free and I don't know quite what to do

Hey guys, this is my first time playing the Football Manager series, I bought the game a few days ago and I'm already having problems keeping two of my hottest prospects at my club. I guess you could say that this problem is somewhat club specific so I can give you guys a brief rundown. I am currently playing as Bursaspor in the Turkish Premier Division and two of my hot prospects for the future, Eren Albayrak and Muhammet Demir, are currently leaving the club on a free at the end of the season. I tried negotiating new contracts with them but neither wanted to discuss terms with me. So, I decided to try and cash in on them as my funds are kind of low by transfer listing them, but when I did that, both of them became unhappy that they were being forced out and said that they really wanted to stay at the club.

I am honestly very confused right now. If they wanted to stay with the club, why aren't they signing new contracts and planning on leaving on a free at the end of the season? This is all happening in my first year and I don't know what to do. The Turkish league has restrictions on the number of foreigners you can have on your team, and I don't know if I can replace them with other Turkish talent. I'm really stuck here, do you guys know of anything I could do or any way that I could get them to sign new contracts? Oh yeah, I have to say the realism in this game is quite incredible because this is exactly the situation that Bursaspor is in at the moment with these players, although both of the players have stated that the reason that they want to leave is because they are not getting any playing time at the senior level. Do you think that if I played them consistently in the senior team and/or changed their status to indispensable, they would reconsider and negotiate new terms with me?

Thank you in advance for any kind of help/knowledge you can give me about this whole situation. It is a bit frustrating and has hindered my progress in this wonderful game.

It is frustrating, but that's the nature of real-life football management. Look at the fuss Sir Alex and Mancini have to put up with. It sounds like your players are temperamental - they have poor hidden personality attributes. Try to buy or bring in players that have the right character for you. When analysing your scouting reports don't just look at ability/potential stars, but comments about their personality too.

Do you think that if I played them consistently in the senior team and/or changed their status to indispensable, they would reconsider and negotiate new terms with me?

I would definitely recommend trying this. Maybe not indispensable, but definitely first team, and some consistent playing time. Really think that stands a chance of helping your situation.

Agreed, maybe praise them in the media if you can too. Once they're on side try to renegotiate new contracts. Contracts are much easier to renegotiate once the season is drawing to a close, so give it some time, unless other clubs are trying to poach them.

Consider this as well; there are some players you will never keep happy, or keep at your club. That's the same for a 3rd Division team or if you are managing Barcelona, no matter what you do. That's life. Try all of the above, but accept there are times when you have to just let the birds fly off.

And like I am as a supporter irl; as a manager in FM...if they don't want to be there, I don't want them to be there no matter how fantastic they are. :D

Archived