Preferred Moves - Overreaction Much?

Now I understand not every request for a PPM should be adopted by a player. I fully understand Titus Bramble shouldn't be dictating tempo, curling shots etc.

However, I do not understand for the life of me why a player gets upset by a request to learn a move!

Here's my latest example. I'm pre-season with Everton. James Vaughan has committed a handful of fouls by lunging in at the defender to take possession.

So I have a private chat with him. I ask him to stop lunging in with tackles. He says "Nah I'm not going to even try that" (or along those lines).

So I politely ask him to give it a try anyway - then the guy storms off!

Now James Vaughan has a poor opinion of me because I was outrageous enough to ask him not to go recklessly in to tackles.

Come on! Wouldn't it make a lot more sense if players didn't reject the request to at least try and learn something, considering their boss is asking them to do it?

It's like if my boss at work came up to me and said "will you file this paperwork?" and I said "no, **** off!"

My solution? Players should always at least try to learn the preferred move, but have varying odds of succeeding or failing in their endeavours.

I have to agree with this. I'm a bit of a PPM addicted type of player. I like my players in each position to have certain PPM's.

I won't repeat what Tubey said, because I agree with all that, but the worst pasrt is when I ask U-18 player to lear certain PPM (e.g. my DC not to dive into tackles or to mark opponent tightly) he rejects it and he rejects it even after I tell him that i have more experience and that it would benefit him (note: I've been at the club for mayn years and I am succesful and on clubs icons list) but yet he still stands by what he said.

I mean surley some U-18 player wouldn't recejt SAF's or Wengers advice on how to play?

It's been a poorly implemented feature since it was brought in, sadly any complaints about it have fallen on deaf ears.

"Hi 16 year old striker, I'm a 60 year old manager who has 27 league titles, 15 Champions League titles and 4 world cups under his belt, I've trained 40 of the best strikers in the world over the last 30 years and know the best way to turn them into a sporting legend, the club will love you and you'll go down in history, the fans will chant your name every week whilst you are being paid millions. All I ask of you to get you to this level, is to try and use your 20/20 dribbling skills more often, and dribble through the centre of the park when you receive the ball and you'll become a sporting god under my guidance.

"Nah, I'm not going to try that"

Would be actually nice to hear an official SI reasoning behind having a footballer refuse a simple request like "try and run down the right hand side of the pitch".

Not just refuse it, but then actively hate the manager for having the nerve to tell him where to run. oO

Feature works perfectly for me. IRL players aren’t robots who can be programmed to learn whatever we want. As the manager you are asking him to take time off his regular training schedule and put it into a project that may or may not yield results. Therefore the player will run a risk of not progressing as rapidly if he decides to participate in your pet project.

Another thing to remember is that players need certain attributes in place if they are to consider your request as logical. A low aggression, mediocre tackling centreback is unlikely to want to learn how to dive into tackles, etc.

I think maybe the issue here isn’t with the game, but with parents not teaching their children how to deal with not getting their way.

Feature works perfectly for me. IRL players aren’t robots who can be programmed to learn whatever we want. As the manager you are asking him to take time off his regular training schedule and put it into a project that may or may not yield results. Therefore the player will run a risk of not progressing as rapidly if he decides to participate in your pet project.

Another thing to remember is that players need certain attributes in place if they are to consider your request as logical. A low aggression, mediocre tackling centreback is unlikely to want to learn how to dive into tackles, etc.

I think maybe the issue here isn’t with the game, but with parents not teaching their children how to deal with not getting their way.

You were a terrible wrestler, and you've just made a terrible point ^^

Seriously though, I understand what you're trying to say, and I could tolerate a player just refusing to do it (even though it makes little sense to me as it's an aspect of his job and he's being asked to do something by his boss, but anyway...), but what has pushed me over the edge this year is the fact the player gets very, very upset at the mere request from the manager.

I'm being generous though - it makes absolutely no sense. If Sir Alex Ferguson asked a youth player to develop a long flat bullet throw, even if the player had one arm he'd give it a go.

I'm sorry, but if your boss, who is the best in the world at his job, tells you to do something, you do it. No shouldn't be an option. Whether it fails or not due to them not having the ability/skills/attributes etc. is a different argument. But just turning round and saying "no" is unrealistic.

My solution? Players should always at least try to learn the preferred move, but have varying odds of succeeding or failing in their endeavours.

No thanks, id prefer if they arent going to get it then they dont waste 2-4 months 20% training time learning nothing ;)

also in relation to other posters about teaching kids and them not listening to a big manager, do you think balotteli does much listening to his managers ala jose etc. im fine with some kids not wanting to take tutoring or learn a move, if theyre big headed their big headed, real life

I'm sorry, but if your boss, who is the best in the world at his job, tells you to do something, you do it. No shouldn't be an option. Whether it fails or not due to them not having the ability/skills/attributes etc. is a different argument. But just turning round and saying "no" is unrealistic.

also people need to stop comparing being a footballer to being a real normal job, its not, quite well documented

do you think balotteli does much listening to his managers ala jose etc. im fine with some kids not wanting to take tutoring or learn a move, if theyre big headed their big headed, real life

In regards to what to do on the pitch? Yeah he probably does.

We're not trying to change people's personality, or work ethic, we're simply getting people to work on a preferential way of playing that will benefit them. And even then, you really think Balotelli would turn round and say "no" outright?

In regards to what to do on the pitch? Yeah he probably does.

We're not trying to change people's personality, or work ethic, we're simply getting people to work on a preferential way of playing that will benefit them. And even then, you really think Balotelli would turn round and say "no" outright?

dont nit pick, i didnt say about on the pitch, since thats not being discussed, we are talking about changing playing style.

as for that rubbish statement, i think youll find they say something along the lines of i dont think that will benefit me and when pushed they reinforce this then leave as things arent going well, they dont just say no

No thanks, id prefer if they arent going to get it then they dont waste 2-4 months 20% training time learning nothing ;)

also in relation to other posters about teaching kids and them not listening to a big manager, do you think balotteli does much listening to his managers ala jose etc. im fine with some kids not wanting to take tutoring or learn a move, if theyre big headed their big headed, real life

Which is why it'd be good to get regular feedback from coaches on how the training is progressing so that it can be abandoned, if even up'ed if it's going really well. Something that was mentioned by someone else that I'm echoing.

I'm also of the mind (and I have said this before) that players shouldn't flat out say no. Unless they can give a reason as to why they want to continue to hack down players and pick up red cards when I've asked them politely not to, they should just get on with it and do it!

I think this is a good reason why the players should not be able to refuse the training, since it is part of the training programme we are choosing for them as their manager. I don't mind if they tell me they think it is a waste of time, but I don't like the fact they can refuse to even try it.

If this was some kind of extra training (rather than a %) then I could fully understand a player refusing to try it, but it is treated as part of the training we offer at the club that the players are contracted to undertake. The fact that a lot of the PPMs read like tactical instructions makes it feel like there should be no choice in the matter, if I ask a player to cut inside then I expect to see him trying to do that, I don't expect him to ignore me.

Which is why it'd be good to get regular feedback from coaches on how the training is progressing so that it can be abandoned, if even up'ed if it's going really well. Something that was mentioned by someone else that I'm echoing.

I'm also of the mind (and I have said this before) that players shouldn't flat out say no. Unless they can give a reason as to why they want to continue to hack down players and pick up red cards when I've asked them politely not to, they should just get on with it and do it!

they dont, read up again thanks. also you dont have the option to tell them why you want them to so how could they give you a reason.

this is something that might be in a future release, you introduce things ina simple format and then further it, its called development

I don't think that'll benefit my game

I have more experience, give it a go

I'm going to leave now before I say something I regret.

...hmmmm, sounds like a flat out no to me.

You're right, I should be able to give a reason. The conversation module definitely needs more work. But then I wouldn't say it's been implemented in a 'simple format'. The conversation format may be simple, but the outputs are wrong.

they arent wrong, they say no for a reason, the facility just isnt there for them to explain why they dont want to undertake the training. you can think of what they might be yourself pretty simple, arrogant player, dont think it will better their game, would rather train fully on skills thanw aste 1/5 of their time on something they dont see as a benefit.

to take it from the side some people see and use the footballing is the same as a rl job(which it isnt) and my manager came to me and said i want you to undertake this training to improve yourself, and i said i really didnt want to as being really uneasey with the idea, and my manager tried to force me to do it i would be disgruntled as well due to them not listening

they dont, read up again thanks. also you dont have the option to tell them why you want them to so how could they give you a reason.

this is something that might be in a future release, you introduce things ina simple format and then further it, its called development

It is possible to have a discussion without sounding quite as rude as you're coming across btw. But I get the feeling you're probably just an alias just being rude for giggles.

My issue with this, and infact all of the personal interraction is that in many cases there just isnt a 'good' answer.

Im actually avoiding the feature entirely as ive already alienated my back up goal keeper and been forced to sell a star defender because he hates me.

why?

Well the back up goal keeper hates me because he 'doesnt like how I handel team talks'

which would be fair enough ACCEPT HE HASNT ACTUALLY PLAYED ALL YEAR and thus he has never recieved any of my team talk advice!

When I spoke to him in private he said he wasnt happy, I chose the option 'I will try and be nicer' (or words to that effect)

Go on, guess what his response was?

'I dont believe you'

W T F?

Not only did he get his own way, but he then has the cheek to back talk me.

So, why did the defender have to go? Well I asked him to learn a new PPM, one which was recommended to me in a backroom advice.

'Please use X I think it would benifit you'

'I dont see it would have any benifit'

'Please give it a try I think in the long run it would be good for you'

'Im going to leave now as this isnt going well'

That wasnt enough to make him hate me. What made him hate me was after had had averaged over 8 for the last 5 games I thought I would give him a pick up

'I think you have been playing very well in the last 5 games'

'I dont think I have, I think I can do better'

'Good for you, I like your attitude'

'I dont like where this is going, I am going to leave before I say something I regret.'

W T F!

It is possible to have a discussion without sounding quite as rude as you're coming across btw. But I get the feeling you're probably just an alias just being rude for giggles.

or maybe it just grinds when someone quotes you and doesnt read what they've quoted, but if you feel the need to take away from the discussion by posting something with no relevance to whats been talked about then ok

Sensible as always, dafuge, but don't you think a player IRL would be hesitant to cut short his regular training in order to learn a new "trick"? A player has his own career to look after, and need to make sure he's progressing at the same rate (if not better) as his teammates, in order to fulfill his potential.

"if I ask a player to cut inside then I expect to see him trying to do that, I don't expect him to ignore me" - but you can get a player to cut inside via tactical instructions! The question is; should you also have the option to make your player master it? I say this depends on logic and player age - in other words, SI are spot on.

I think that's the biggest problem with the conversations, they're aren't conversations! They turn into heated arguments over the slightest thing. Ending with 'leaving before I say something I regret' or 'I don't like where this is going' just are conducive to a sensible conversation with an adult in a work environment. Football or not, it's still a job with staff and bosses.

they arent wrong, they say no for a reason, the facility just isnt there for them to explain why they dont want to undertake the training. you can think of what they might be yourself pretty simple, arrogant player, dont think it will better their game, would rather train fully on skills thanw aste 1/5 of their time on something they dont see as a benefit.

All of that I can potentially agree with,quite a lot of players are arogant buggers.

But when I get rejected the options I get are

'pretty please'

'Im your boss'

'I think it would be good for you'

There surely needs to be a 'Ok I understand maybe we can discuss it later' or an option to that effect, because I have tried all of the above and ALL of them upset players at random.

All of that I can potentially agree with,quite a lot of players are arogant buggers.

There surely needs to be a 'Ok I understand maybe we can discuss it later' or an option to that effect, because I have tried all of the above and ALL of them upset players at random.

yeah thatd be something they should look at, as it wouldnt require much to update

the option to make your player master it?

PPMs aren't about mastering. It's about what they would prefer to do/try, so you're asking them to keep trying something until it becomes a habit. Whether that works or not is a different matter.

The main point is that a 16 year old youth player at Man Utd would not say "no, it won't improve my game" if Alex Ferguson asked him to try and be more precise with his finishing.

Sensible as always, dafuge, but don't you think a player IRL would be hesitant to cut short his regular training in order to learn a new "trick"? A player has his own career to look after, and need to make sure he's progressing at the same rate (if not better) as his teammates, in order to fulfill his potential.

"if I ask a player to cut inside then I expect to see him trying to do that, I don't expect him to ignore me" - but you can get a player to cut inside via tactical instructions! The question is; should you also have the option to make your player master it? I say this depends on logic and player age - in other words, SI are spot on.

I can understand a player being hesitant and unhappy about the suggestions, it is the fact they can refuse to even try it that I don't like. We can put them on an intensive training programme that makes them unhappy, they can't refuse that and put themselves on a different programme, why should it be different with PPMs? Of course, this argument changes completely if the PPM training was an extra rather than a % of the full traning programme.

Maybe that was a bad example then! Swap it for something like 'lobs keepers' then ;)

yeah thatd be something they should look at, as it wouldnt require much to update

To be honest I personally dont think it should even have had to have been an 'update' they have utterly ignored normal methods of communication and instead left us with 3 options all of which effectively boil down to 'do what I say' in various levels of politeness.

If they want 3 options and a very simple system then they needed to be:

'You do what I say I am your boss' (strict and nasty)

'I would really like you to try, I think it would be good for you' (middling and mild)

'Ok, I didnt want to upset you' (weak and over nice)

I think there should be more options, possibly with reasons for asking them to do so.

What I find to be an utter joke in this situation is that I can go to a players training screen and set a striker to train a secondary position of sweeper. The worst they can do is tell me via the assistant manager that they arent happy with their training program. However, if you ask a player to alter their game in what is a very minor way (as apposed to moving them across the entire pitch playing a different role entirely) then they can get stroppy and hate you.

Yea that makes sense...

What I find to be an utter joke in this situation is that I can go to a players training screen and set a striker to train a secondary position of sweeper. The worst they can do is tell me via the assistant manager that they arent happy with their training program. However, if you ask a player to alter their game in what is a very minor way (as apposed to moving them across the entire pitch playing a different role entirely) then they can get stroppy and hate you.

That's exactly how I feel. I think the best solution would be to remove the PPM training from the overall training system and treat it as a separate system where the players really do get a choice to buy into it or not, like Beckham and his free kicks after training.

That's exactly how I feel. I think the best solution would be to remove the PPM training from the overall training system and treat it as a separate system where the players really do get a choice to buy into it or not, like Beckham and his free kicks after training.

Or just merge it into the rest of training and where you have the drop down for changing their position, you also have a drop down for PPMs

Then they dont get a choice, BUT they can come to you if they are having an issue with their training. We almost seem to have it the wrong way around. We have to go to them to tell them to do their job, it should be that they should come to us to tell us they arent happy with that job.

PPMs aren't about mastering.

Totally disagree. I've had players learn the 'shoots from distance' PPM, and even though they didn't have a particularly good long shot attribute (11), their long shots became lethal. Same with the ‘tries killer balls often' PPM - a player with 13 for passing became like the new Xabi Alonso. You can see this with many players where their attributes don't necessarily correlate with the PPM they are possessing, and yet they perform the player instruction flawlessly.

As with everything else, you don't get someone to master something unless they really want to.

Totally disagree.

It's a Player Preferred Move, not a Player Mastered Move.

I have players with dribble down the flank who can't dribble for toffee, players with place shots who can't aim etc.

Having the right PPM can massively affect how a player plays, but it isn't a skill you're giving them. You're just influencing their decision making.

This pretty much.

Interaction regarding PPM's is perhaps the only aspect of the game that I find annoying. Pretty much because of the chain of responses that others have mentioned in this thread.

Until it became apparent that aspects of these interactions are flawed, I've even taken severity of action such as transfer listing players. A realistic conclusion to an unrealistic breakdown in relations between manager and player. A player really shouldn't detest a manager after such a seemingly minor training request.

The alternative "workaround" I've tried can also be flawed. That is to get a senior player to mentor a youngster, thus learn PPM's that way. Unfortunately, even with players who appear to be perfectly compatible with their characters, I've seen players dislike me and the mentor. Again, although a player should be able to refuse the suggestion, it shouldn't result in an irreparable breakdown in relations. Especially even in cases where a young player is likened to a senior player, recommended for tutoring by a coach, or the youngster has the senior player amongst their favoured personnel. Negative outcomes and relationship crashes are even more baffling in those circumstances.

Player interactions are and can be a great feature, but I do feel there's aspects that lead to overly negative impacts, far too easily. Personally, I think it may have something to do with the weighting of different character traits and hidden attributes, being too fine perhaps. Possibly a more broader way of weighting character differences might be the solution?

Player interactions are and can be a great feature, but I do feel there's aspects that lead to overly negative impacts, far too easily.

You know, thats made me think.

The entire process really does remind me of those books you have as a child.

1) If you want to do X turn to page 10

2) Do Y turn to page 30

3) Do Z turn to page 50

Realistically, as a kid you had no idea which was the best one, so you would look ahead and see which one was turning out how you wanted and go to that page.

You cant do it with these responses, there is no logic to them.

'Please do it because Im asking nicely'

'No i hate you'

'Do it because im you boss and Im telling you to'

'Yes now I love you'

Its all very odd.

Yes, CaptainPlanet, it is a mastered move and a preferred move! If you haven't picked that up already, you need to pay more attention during matches.

But let's just agree to disagree on this one. I realize now you already possess the 'expects to always get his way' and 'views his players as robot chickens' PPMs, so any further discussion is unlikely to be fruitful.

Yes, CaptainPlanet, it is a mastered move and a preferred move! If you haven't picked that up already, you need to pay more attention during matches.

It's not a mastered move, the preferred move is not "do better killer balls".

The player always had it in his locker to play that wonderball pass, he hasn't learnt to execute the pass any better, he is just choosing to do it more often.

Until it became apparent that aspects of these interactions are flawed, I've even taken severity of action such as transfer listing players. A realistic conclusion to an unrealistic breakdown in relations between manager and player. A player really shouldn't detest a manager after such a seemingly minor training request.?

To be fair, the whole game was flawed prior to patch 11.2. The bar for a player becoming unhappy was set way too low - this wasn’t a problem just for interactions about tutoring. So if you want to talk about the merits of this discussion, then please do it on the basis of 11.2 patch, and not back when the game was being beta-tested.

But let's just agree to disagree on this one. I realize now you already possess the 'expects to always get his way' and 'views his players as robot chickens' PPMs, so any further discussion is unlikely to be fruitful.

No, sorry, thats simply not the case.

A players stats will show you how he CAN play, a players PPM will tell you how he PREFERS to play.

Therefore, a player with the long shot prefered move and a long shot rating of 1 will hammer shot after shot at the goal because thats how he likes to play, but he will miss most of them.

A player with 'dribble down the right flank' prefered move will move to the right with the ball and try and run with it. If he has a balance of 1 and dribbling 1 then unless the other team is all out injured he will lose the ball and get tackled.

Thats why people tell their players to forget PPMs if they dont actually help the way a player is playing.

As if his post was deserving of a reply in this tone :rolleyes:

He's right as well, btw. A player with 8 for a dribbling attribute but with 'runs with the ball down whichever area of the pitch' PPM (yes, the game actually does generate players of this variety) will still dribble the ball like someone with 8 for that attribute, he'll just do it much too often for his own good (and will way too often throw a strop when asked to stop doing it.) No one's asking players to be able to robotically learn everything they're asked to, there just needs to be a logical way of coming to a conclusion as to what is or isn't going to work. The player interaction options in this case are far from being logical.

As if his post was deserving of a reply in this tone :rolleyes:

He's right as well' date=' btw. A player with 8 for a dribbling attribute but with 'runs with the ball down whichever area of the pitch' PPM (yes, the game actually does generate players of this variety) [/quote']

It can get worse. Ive got a right footed player with 7 for dribbling and 10 for balance who only plays right mid/attacking right wing who has a PPM for 'dribbles down the left flank'

huh?

(although I do susspect that this was partially my fault, I had him tutored by a left winger who had that PPM)

It can get worse. Ive got a right footed player with 7 for dribbling and 10 for balance who only plays right mid/attacking right wing who has a PPM for 'dribbles down the left flank'

huh?

(although I do susspect that this was partially my fault, I had him tutored by a left winger who had that PPM)

That does raise another problem with the system.

"Can you try and place your shots"

"No"

"Ok then can you learn from this striker"

"Yes"

*Players learns to try and place shots*

huh?

Yeah, exactly. You're not even that likely to see him do that in a game as it's just about as useful as something like 'places shots' for a goalkeeper. But try and get him to unlearn it and there's at least a fifty fifty chance he'll end up hating you. How is that a logical outcome in any way?

That does raise another problem with the system.

Well it also shows up the robotic nature of the game, rather than the logical nature of the game:

Left footed left winger teaches young right footed right winger a thing or two about how to play football.

Young right footed right sided winger is so incredibly stupid he is incapable of applying what the left sided midfielder has taught him and thus follows him exactly.

Realistically Ryan giggs could have a chat and a few sessions with a young right sided midfielder who would then apply what he has been taught to HIS game. Logically he would pick up 'runs down right flank'

I could understand if I had a left back trying to teach a striker, but the left and right sides of the pitch are the same, the job they do is the same, they just use a different foot.

You know, thats made me think.

The entire process really does remind me of those books you have as a child.

1) If you want to do X turn to page 10

2) Do Y turn to page 30

3) Do Z turn to page 50

Realistically, as a kid you had no idea which was the best one, so you would look ahead and see which one was turning out how you wanted and go to that page.

You cant do it with these responses, there is no logic to them.

'Please do it because Im asking nicely'

'No i hate you'

'Do it because im you boss and Im telling you to'

'Yes now I love you'

Its all very odd.

this part is not odd, all players react differently, this has been the case in fm/cm for goodness knows how long, some players respond well to critisim some preform better to praise, things of that nature.

but not having the option to back out of the convo when they say they dont think it will benefit them is a stumbling block as said by some previously

It would be nice if SI could clarify, to prove I am right:

PPM = mastered move, preferred move... or both?

There are now 4 people telling you that you are wrong.

Why would SI have a long shots prefered move AND a long shots rating.

If learning the long shots prefered move meant that you had 'mastered' long shots - then the long shots rating would go up to 20.

Come on, please use your brain.

From the manual

9.10.10. Preferred Moves

You have the option to ask any of your players to attempt to adopt a specific preferred move to add to

their arsenal. Perhaps you have a player with a high Free Kick Taking rating, and would like to encourage

him to take these free kicks from long range. Similarly, you might have another player who has good pace

and anticipation, ideal for springing the offside trap, and would like him to focus on this during training.

To do so, select the appropriate option from the list of Preferred Moves on the Player Interaction screen.

A response will follow, and typically the player will set about incorporating this into his training schedule.

Preferred Moves can also be removed – another player might have a preference for running down the left

flank, but hasn’t got particularly good dribbling skills and is right footed. Therefore it makes sense to ask

him to try and remove this from his game, which can be done in the same manner as outlined above. Over

the course of a few months, these players will do their best to adapt to your request and eventually you

will receive an indication of success or failure in their task.

this part is not odd, all players react differently, this has been the case in fm/cm for goodness knows how long, some players respond well to critisim some preform better to praise, things of that nature.

but not having the option to back out of the convo when they say they dont think it will benefit them is a stumbling block as said by some previously

Ok, you are right on those grounds - but my point is more that you litterally have to pick an option and pray. There is no indication as to how the player will react and as we have seen from this thread these interaction seem to have important consequences. Its just un-usable in the current form because you might as well just lable the options 1 2 and 3 because you would have the same chance of picking the correct answer.

Archived