Pitch degradation

Pitch quality does noticeably decline in the lower leagues. Playing as AFC Telford initially in the BSN, as well as my first team fixtures, I was arranging a lot of home friendly matches for my reserves, as they weren't competing in a reserve league at the time. The constant usage of the pitch, especially over the winter months, soon led to very poor pitch conditions, even to the extent that it was an option available to discuss in opposition manager media interactions.

The down side to this, is that I had to adapt things tactically, as "pretty" football on a boggy pitch doesn't tend to work so well, opting for longer and more direct passing.

If you can convince the board to relay the pitch, it's helpful, but unfortunately mine wouldn't until the end of the season.

Usually, bigger clubs with better facilities such as roof covering or under-soil heating, shouldn't suffer winter effects as badly. You'll also experience different weathering effects in different countries. For example, playing with a southern Spanish team, you might not suffer any significant winter weathering, though pitches might be harder during the earlier and closing stages of the season.

I think it's good that pitch conditions vary to the extent that they become something you need to be mindful of, when preparing for matches. :)

I have the same problem with my pitch. I think the main cause is that both Reserves and U18 play on it as well. Add the fact we have no roof or under soil heating it starts to go in november. I no longer have play friendlies at home as the pitch was already showing wear at the start of the season. Also there is no option to request reserve and U18 matches be played elsewhere like alot of clubs do, or instal roof and under soil heating.

Ive now used an editor to change my ground for reserve and U18 games but don't know if it has worked as still playing at clubs stadium. It might be because the fixtures were already scheduled, so will need to check for the next season.

Archived